VauntedVinyl

Best vinyl for outdoor vinyl banner?

Which vinyl is best to apply to an outdoor vinyl banner (the type with grommets)? How long will it typically last in all weather conditions (year round)?

Just about any vinyl will work on banners. I usually use Oracal 651 myself. Long time forum moderator Banner John (guess what his specialty is) uses mostly the green star banner which is USCutter's in house offering. 

Banners are a short life option if left up for extended periods. Typically 6 months to a year. If they are just put up on occasion and pulled down the rest of the time like a softball team banner then they will last a long time. The higher end vinyls should handle the stresses of folding and rolling up better than the budget minded vinyl but the cheaper vinyls are generally thicker and may have better opacity when used on a colored background such as white lettering on red banner material. Comes down to a little bit of personal preference, price and end user intent. 

• Like 2

Thanks for asking that i was wondering if the 651 would be okay or not on a banner.. i probably will be getting some for Christmas signs for the yard this year. so mine just need to last hopefully a few years for what 5 weeks out in the weather. i normally start decorating to turn on on Thanksgiving and take down on New years day. I have one sign with 651 on it out in the weather now its been there 2 months in the wide open sun,rain. whatever and still looks as good as the day i made it. its on coraplat sign. wasn't sure about banners

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eprcvinyls said:

Thanks for asking that i was wondering if the 651 would be okay or not on a banner.. i probably will be getting some for Christmas signs for the yard this year. so mine just need to last hopefully a few years for what 5 weeks out in the weather. i normally start decorating to turn on on Thanksgiving and take down on New years day. I have one sign with 651 on it out in the weather now its been there 2 months in the wide open sun,rain. whatever and still looks as good as the day i made it. its on coraplat sign. wasn't sure about banners

The vinyl will last for years it's the banner that will have a limited life span. It makes a big difference which part of the country you live it too. If you are in AZ sun baking every day vs being in the mountains in the shade of a tree. The ones you see give up the ghost are the ones where a business has one tied up on a side wall getting beat up by wind and scorched in the sun. Biggest thing is to be sure and warn customers of the potential life span, their mileage may vary depending on how well they take care of it. My kids school has a banner they put up in the gym that has to be a decade old and still looks fine...

• Like 3