Sign in to follow this  
livinloudgraphics

why does this machine waste vinyl

explain more please - I have had 2 ce6000-60 and several ce5000-60 and cut long decals without a problem?  is it not being loaded straight or is it a real tracking issue?

Does anyone know why this machine waste so much vinyl. and also it will hardly accept smaller pieces of cut vinyl it tells me to load media .. It acts ok on the small thing but when cutting long signs it gets off track EVEN WHEN i cut the vinyl straight across and set it correctly in the machine. my old pcut didnt have this much trouble when cutting a sign. it also bunches up on longer signs. I thought this was suppose to be a top of the line machine but yet it gets off track even with the sensors it has :huh: . it is being sold as a 24 inch cutter but cant not hardly cut up to 22inch wide because it gets off track so much. someone please help im about to return this thing,

2 minutes ago, livinloudgraphics said:

Does anyone know why this machine waste so much vinyl. and also it will hardly accept smaller pieces of cut vinyl it tells me to load media .. It acts ok on the small thing but when cutting long signs it gets off track EVEN WHEN i cut the vinyl straight across and set it correctly in the machine. my old pcut didnt have this much trouble when cutting a sign. it also bunches up on longer signs. I thought this was suppose to be a top of the line machine but yet it gets off track even with the sensors it has :huh: . it is being sold as a 24 inch cutter but cant not hardly cut up to 22inch wide because it gets off track so much. someone please help im about to return this thing,

cutting the vinyl "straight" and the sensors has nothing to do with you putting the vinyl in straight to begin with - put the vinyl in and feed a couple of feet noting if the vinyl is drifting to one side - them make and adjustment and try again until YOU have it loaded straight.   if vinyl is "bunching" then it must be too much blade exposure and/or someone loosened the pressure on the rollers. . . .  having owned 2 ce6000, at least 5-6 ce5000 and 3 or so ce3000 I have never had such troubles 

i load the vinyl in straight as i know of cut the vinyl off at a straight. load it into the plotter what line do you go by when loading it in?? i use the black strip that is closest to the blade. should i be using this?

20180620_212142.jpg

I do not use a line - I put the vinyl in and jog it forward to see which way it runs - then adjust it and try again - there is no way you can get it loaded straight the way you are loading it.  I use the same method on my graphtec and my Roland printer

9 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I do not use a line - I put the vinyl in and jog it forward to see which way it runs - then adjust it and try again - there is no way you can get it loaded straight the way you are loading it.  I use the same method on my graphtec and my Roland printer

there should be a line to follow is a nice plotter. maybe my roll isnt on my rollers correctly it may be off. ill check didnt notice it till it got to the longer part on the sign

you can usually get close by taking all the slack out of the roll and holding it taught while lowering the rollers but it still will take some adjustment - what you really want is a gerber with tractor feed for vinyl with perforated edges - that is pretty umm, user friendly for feeding straight - wish you was closer so you could get some hands on help and learn - there is a NBM show in Charlotte in November 

make sure the pinch rollers are equal distance from the vinyl edge approx 1 inch. and that the vinyl is tight from pinch rollers to vinyl roll. The vinyl does not have to be straight across the cutting strip, just make sure it is passed the cutting strip. Everything needs to be pulled equal.  Works perfect. 

• Like 1

I can never manage to cut the vinyl perpendicular to the roll, so to try and align the vinyl based on the cut edge would go horribly wrong for me.

If it's bunching, then either you've got too much pressure/force going on and it's cutting through or applying so much force that it's dragging. Also, check  your pinch rollers and make sure that they're clean.

If you're cutting directly off of a roll, it's rolled pretty darn straight with equal tension. I rarely need to jog the vinyl back and forth to check for straight.

If it's a smaller piece, or something that isn't on a roll for me, then yes, I do jog the vinyl back and forth and gauge the 'straightness' based on the vertical (molded) lines on the front of the machine.

• Like 2