Scratchthejeepguy

651 for painted sheetrock walls?

I think I've heard that Oracal 631 is best for painted sheetrock because it's easily removed later, but will 651 peel off fine also in the future?  I have stuck some on a wall here as a test but am wondering if there will be any long term damage if I were to peel the 651 off in a few years.  Deciding if I need to go buy a bunch of 631 just for painted walls...?

Depends on the paint but generally 631is proffered for walls to avoid damage, now if you have walls painted in easy clean paint or textured any of it may be on the floor within days.   Walls are risky unless you inspect them personally and test to see if vinyl adheres 

I did some designs in 651 just testing them and threw them up on my painted eggshell paint,  They peeled right off years later,  Didn't hurt the paint.  but most 651 is gloss.. You really want a matte to keep the shine down.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I did some designs in 651 just testing them and threw them up on my painted eggshell paint,  They peeled right off years later,  Didn't hurt the paint.  but most 651 is gloss.. You really want a matte to keep the shine down.  

Thanks, didn't think of a gloss versus matte finish...

10 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

definitely go with matte.

• Like 2

Agree on the matt finish it looks better indoors however 631 in my opinion is one of the toughest installs there are. The other misinformation is that removable note says if removed within a year or some such. So if you leave it hanging for a long time it is about the same as the other offerings as far as pulling it down. The adhesive is water soluble which would be easier to scrub off but in my limited experience no painted walls handle scrubbing anything off very well. I did some early testing when I started out with my cutter and put up some of both. Like Skeeter mentioned I really had no big issues with pulling off the 651 and did not see adhesive left behind. Nothing goes on eggshell textured walls very good but 631 goes on the worst probably due to the water based adhesive and also needing higher tack transfer paper to deal with the matt finish. 

• Like 2

I put up some 631 waves on a textured wall with no problems and pealed them off easily a few years later. Although I could see how a skinny design might have trouble sticking to a textured wall. Surface area plays a really big role in how well something sticks and how easy it is to remove.

• Like 3

I just made a oracal 651 decal for someone to go on a wall i tried talking them into a picture frame as i have made a few lately for my parents and my wifes parents but this lady ( a friend of mine) says she just wants it on the wall, they rent so i hope it come off okay whenever they happen to move. personally i've not stuck anything to a wall. the walls in this place not sure what to call it. its pretty smooth but not drywall.