Sign in to follow this  
racingpit

How did sign shops do it back in the early 2000's and how do they do it today?

I remember that there was a guy in my town that had a sign shop in the early 2000's.  He had many different files including nascar numbers and a tribute to the #3.  How did shops get that stuff?  Did they buy cd's with files loaded on them?   Also, where do you go to get your files now?

Many rolled the dice as some still do today at fairs, swap meets, etc.  Here is a good read to help understand:  

• Like 3

it seems many just do it and get away with it.. People on this site warn not to do so. But i see people selling stuff daily that is copys of others. I try to make everything i put online be my own

2 hours ago, eprcvinyls said:

it seems many just do it and get away with it.. People on this site warn not to do so. But i see people selling stuff daily that is copys of others. I try to make everything i put online be my own

It depends on what they are selling as to whether they can sell copies.  If a graphic artist is selling rights to their own designs, and lets people sell the decals, there is no problem with that. The buyers have a "use" license. Same with graphics companies, selling cds of their designs. That most likely comes with an end user agreement to sell the decals using their designs.  And you may see 100's of that same design being sold.   Your not stating what you are seeing. If it is logos/trademarks, then it would be questionable.   Even to sell Marines decals you have to get a license. 

• Like 1

Talking about Football teams like GA bulldogs and Alabama and Atlanta braves Big known teams and companys like Monster energy drinks and things along those lines. There is a guy driving around in a Dale Earnhardt NASCAR theme truck. i know cause he wanted me to add more to his truck and i told him i couldn't cause be copyright now sure how the last guy that did it for him got by with it.

43 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

Talking about Football teams like GA bulldogs and Alabama and Atlanta braves Big known teams and companys like Monster energy drinks and things along those lines. There is a guy driving around in a Dale Earnhardt NASCAR theme truck. i know cause he wanted me to add more to his truck and i told him i couldn't cause be copyright now sure how the last guy that did it for him got by with it.

ok your talking about trademarks and logos,   Just like on Ebay,  when you get a couple down in the day, hundreds more are posted.  Other people see them there and think it's OK. It's not about if they get caught, it's when will they get caught.  Most do.  It's just not worth it.  Because it steals billions  of $$$   it is now considered counterfeiting.. and you can be arrested by Homeland Security.  

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=EYUZW9GUIqrSjwSqi65g&q=homeland+security+arrests+counterfeit+goods&oq=Homeland+Security+arrests+count&gs_l=psy-ab.1.7.33i22i29i30k1l10.1924.21488.0.27941.33.23.0.9.9.0.1207.3449.4j16j7-1.22.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..2.30.3589.0..0j0i131k1j0i22i30k1.67.NEVknW20A9A

• Like 1

If you are legitimately trying to run a business it's the last thing you want to tie into. There is no way the little bit of income you would generate would be worth the penalty. Might as well sell drugs. My wife claims I'm a lot like a drug pusher. I do a shirt order for someone and throw in a cool hat with their logo on it and 8 out of 10 want more within a week. Or if I do a sign job (which I very rarely do anymore) I throw in a free tee with their logo and the same thing happens. If you start doing fan gear for the NFL and college teams word will spread like wildfire and it won't be long before the wrong person finds out. 

• Like 2