WGlaser

Suggested cutter for education setting?

Hi everyone!

I am a high school physics teacher that is transitioning into 'MakerSpace' czar at my school. Our next purchase is a vinyl cutter for kids to use. I have 0 experience in Vinyl, but looking forward to messing with it this summer. For ease of us for me to learn, and then teach students (Grades 6-12, small school), what do you suggest? I am relatively comfortable in graphics programs (Inkscape, Adobe) and other technologies of 'making' nature such as 3D Printing and CNC Carving.  

My budget for the printer itself is roughly $1,000. We have a separate budget for consumables such as the vinyl, transfer tape, etc. 

Happy to answer any other questions to help get some guidance here! 

My opinion, I am torn on that cutter.   Graphtec great brand name,  I love mine.  decent 20" w,  but no stand,  and only cuts 10ft long.  1 year warranty.   It depends on what you need. 

I agree with skeeter but the graphtec brand reputation pulls me that way - I prefer the 24" graphtecs like the ce6000 but that is out of the budget.    kids in school learning are probably going to be relatively hard on a cutter so reliability of the graphtec or bigger size of the titan2 that also cut good.   

for supplies a good supply of blades and cut strips would be high on my list in that setting

What is the word on the Titans? I can't find a ton of info comparing them to the other models, but they sound like a good deal. 

It is a rebranded Saga brand vinyl cutter that is being sold by UScutter. Maybe being sold 3-4? years now by UScutter.  

I would suggest a 24" cutter. Aside from vinyl being easily found in that size, once people at the school realize what all can be done with a vinyl cutter I expect it'll be used quite heavily for stuff around the school.