Jhamelton

Time for a new laptop

Looking to get a new laptop that I will primarily use for my vinyl cutting. Any suggestions on things I should look for when buying. I currently have a toshiba satellite that has been awesome. It’s just older and getting slow so it’s time to replace it and I want to make sure I buy what I need. Any help is appreciated. 

get one dedicated to the cutter and not connected to the internet - transfer your files via a usb drive and then the cutter computer won't need anti virus or other stuff that just slows them down.  it doesn't take a lot to run a cutter - several people on here run old xp machines as dedicated cutter computers not connected to the internet as thy are cheap and solid performers.   vector graphis is very low resource intensive compared to raster graphisc used in printing or photography - it is all the extra stuff that slows things way down

now if you are going to get into wide format printing my latest one is 8 core rayzen with 64mb ram. 9+tb hard drive, pretty stout video card and lots of fans.   but then again not a lot of people design and have 30+ tabs open in their browsers :)

My laptop is a DELL Latitude D520 running Win7, purchased for $80.

I like the D520 unit because it has a native Serial port.

Software -- SignBlazer; Inkscape; VinylMaster; Gimp; IrfanView; FastStone Photo (Batch) Resizer

What do you mean by saying that the Toshiba is 'getting slow' ? In what way?

• Like 1

I guess it’s probably getting slow due to every one of my files I’ve ever done is on the computer. Never thought of transferring files with a usb drive. But one of the USB ports doesn’t work, charge port sometimes doesn’t work, and sometimes you have to open and close it several times for the screen to come on. Lol. I just wasn’t sure if there was something specific I needed or just basic.  

Now, THAT'S an avatar!

However, I doubt that she "may also can help" me with anything.