Sign in to follow this  
gm2k8

LP24" problems no longer moving

ok i got this back years ago and it has worked fine until recently. It would stop in the middle of a cut thus ruining any material i had been using. I searched the forum and grounded it per instructions and still would stop sometimes. Then I took the cover off the cut head assembly and noticed the ribbon cable going from the cutter to the cut head was loose. (looked to be glued down at one point) so I pushed it back in and pushed in the clip holding it and it seemed to be doing ok. Today it stopped in mid cut again and I looked at the ribbon cable and it seemed ok. When it stopped all it was doing was moving the cutter head up and down as if it was still cutting the design but no movement to the vinyl or the cutter head. Any suggestions from here? I use this every day for small projects so any ideas on tracking down what went wrong would be helpful. 

any help? the cutter turns on and does its initial test on the LCD then says online.. if i tun offline and do 'test' button it presses down the cutter but there is no movement on the rollers that move the vinyl nor the cutter head only the head goes down like it wants to cut.. any idea where to start? in other words the cutter doesnt move/cut at all just the cut head goes down.. this is from the LCD panel.. if i try to move the head manually the numbers change on the LCD but no movement.. its like the motors don't respond at all 

thanks in advance.. 

if no side to side and no forward and backward movement I would look to the mainboard - check connections etc - it uses 2 different motors for the side to side and the forward / backward movement so chances of both them going out is pretty slim.   if you need a board first thing to check is to see if you have a lp1 or lp2 - they were made by different manufactures

On 6/1/2018 at 12:38 PM, Dakotagrafx said:

if no side to side and no forward and backward movement I would look to the mainboard - check connections etc - it uses 2 different motors for the side to side and the forward / backward movement so chances of both them going out is pretty slim.   if you need a board first thing to check is to see if you have a lp1 or lp2 - they were made by different manufactures

Ok.. i believe the problem lies with the ribbon cable.. as I soldered in some wires to the cutter head pcb traces on top and was able to get it to function again.. granted this was just a test.. i then gutted an old printer to get a ribbon cable close to what was used and then jimmy-rigged the cable to the wires i had already soldered to the pcb.. it has worked but i cannot cut 24" because of the length of the ribbon cable i grabbed from the old printer.. the bad thing is the wires coming from the motherboard solder directly to the ribbon cable and that i think is a weak point.. i might gut a few more old printers i have to grab the connectors for the ribbon cables and then use those.. but i will need to find a replacement cable that matches what originally came with it if i want to use the connector on the cutter head pcb.. 

Does the ribbon have the numbers on it?  If so put the  number in to Google search.  There are a lot of sellers out there selling ribbons, even on Ebay. 

Also, you never stated which version of Laser pointer it was.  If version 1, Then it is a Creation Pcut...Contact Creation.  They still make cutters.   Version 2 was a Liyu...  They still make cutters. 

On 6/11/2018 at 10:39 AM, MZ SKEETER said:

Does the ribbon have the numbers on it?  If so put the  number in to Google search.  There are a lot of sellers out there selling ribbons, even on Ebay. 

Also, you never stated which version of Laser pointer it was.  If version 1, Then it is a Creation Pcut...Contact Creation.  They still make cutters.   Version 2 was a Liyu...  They still make cutters. 

well to be honest im not 100% sure which model I got.. its red and black 24" with laser.. i always heard it was a Laserpoint 24". i have included a pic i found online.that looks just like mine. also included a pic of the ribbon cable identification. the ribbon cable is long  about 550mm and 20mm wide 16 pin from what i can see. 

lp24st1.jpg

35077787_1896474797083942_3418005016483463168_n.jpg

Lol, they cleverly made them both red and black 24”. A tag on the machine might tell you, mainbard on a lp1says creation on it, not sure on the Liyu machine.  .   

22 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Lol, they cleverly made them both red and black 24”. A tag on the machine might tell you, mainbard on a lp1says creation on it, not sure on the Liyu machine.  .   

oh course they did lol.. mine doesn't have a label.. i will have to take it apart to see what it says on the mainboard.. 

ok im gonna try to fix this cutter but went ahead and ordered a graphtec ce6000 plus so it should be here next week.. i got too much stuff to get going and can't rely on this one anymore

On 6/14/2018 at 11:51 AM, MZ SKEETER said:

Great choice, you will love the Graphtec,  

thanks.. i guess i need to start checking that part of the forum :D