Sign in to follow this  
eprcvinyls

how are they selling so cheap?

Okay so over the past few weeks i keep seeing people posting custom shirts on facebook local groups for like $10 a shirt. or $12 a shirt how are they selling so cheap? are they looking at it as well if i sell 100 shirts at $10 i will make $1000 but if i only sell 20 shirt cause there $20 im only making $400.

cause i know when i first got into doing this i looked around and seen some peoples prices and i just manly came up with shirt price, HTV price added those together and put in $5-8 for myself to make..

We all have to buy the shirts and HTV at some point but do some people just sell cheaper to make sure there able to sell a lot of shirts? I mean i can make a shirt in about a hour if its a new design and the customer replies right back to me on saying they like the design or not. even tho this hasn't happened it so far its been friends and they tell me what they want and we talk back and forth over a few days i get the shirt i get the colors of HTV then we agree on the design then i make it.

just looking for input i guess. Ive got a web store and got it linked on my facebooks and its on the front of my truck ive had Zero sales from it. Im just thinking of lowering my prices or just put free shipping one or the other. right not there like $18 shipped.  maybe $12 would sell or maybe just no ones been to my site. not sure... I feel my name is still isnt out there good enough yet.

I see it a LOT around here. Not sure where they are getting the shirts from or the vinyl.  Maybe they are using cheap vinyl but not 100% sure. I see then from 8-10 myself and I just can't compete with that with taxes and crap. They are not doing it legal from what I see as I have looked up a few of them and nothing anywhere is found.  Now some I see are screen printed and I can see them being cheap for a bunch of the same design but not HTV with a custom name or whatever.

I don't do shirts, only decals, but the  word "CUSTOM" means more money in my mind. It's more time.   And I do charge more for "CUSTOM" orders. .  I also write "CUSTOM" on the ad title and the ad description.  

3 hours ago, julian keller said:

I see it a LOT around here. Not sure where they are getting the shirts from or the vinyl.  Maybe they are using cheap vinyl but not 100% sure. I see then from 8-10 myself and I just can't compete with that with taxes and crap. They are not doing it legal from what I see as I have looked up a few of them and nothing anywhere is found.  Now some I see are screen printed and I can see them being cheap for a bunch of the same design but not HTV with a custom name or whatever.

Yeah that is my thoughts, no way there running a real business bet if i messaged them asking them for there EIN number they be like my what? and say oh they just do it for fun money or something on the side. I guess if you have a full time job and only do it on the side you can afford to sell cheap.

3 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I don't do shirts, only decals, but the  word "CUSTOM" means more money in my mind. It's more time.   And I do charge more for "CUSTOM" orders. .  I also write "CUSTOM" on the ad title and the ad description.  

Well, I think some of them just pick a theme/logo/design and put it out there for sale, that is what your getting when you buy it, no chance of having them make something different so they end up selling some cheap. I have a hard time trying to come up with things that people would want. have designed a few shirts and so far sold none of them so me and the wife wear them out, keep hoping someone to say oh nice shirt where you buy it and be able hand them a business card but so far that hasn't happened either

My "CUSTOM" and yours is different.  I have over 1500 designs advertised.. If they want that design changed in size, (if I can)  It is a "CUSTOM" order.   I won't do little stuff,  so some stuff I won't do.  I keep my designs  BIG.. that is where the money is.     There is plenty of vector clipart out there that can be resized,  Buy with a license to use it. And good clean vectors are not cheap. But they save you time and money.  

A business does not have to give you any number,  Many businesses are run under sole proprietors,, and under their SS # and  unless they are real dumb, no one is going to tell you their SS number.  I am NOT an employer. I run my businesses by myself, just like most sellers on Ebay, Amazon, Facebook and other small businesses.  

EIN  is an Employer number.   We don't have employees.    So where is your EIN number?   LOL  While your not working, you might want to check out tax laws. 

The Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or the Federal Tax Identification Number, is a uniquenine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to business entities operating in the United States for the purposes of identification.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, eprcvinyls said:

I have a hard time trying to come up with things that people would want. have designed a few shirts and so far sold none of them so me and the wife wear them out, keep hoping someone to say oh nice shirt where you buy it and be able hand them a business card but so far that hasn't happened either

You might try putting something on the back that is an advertisement. I have heard of people who put "Ask me who made this shirt" on the back to let people know that it's OK to ask. 

20 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

My "CUSTOM" and yours is different.  I have over 1500 designs advertised.. If they want that design changed in size, (if I can)  It is a "CUSTOM" order.   I won't do little stuff,  so some stuff I won't do.  I keep my designs  BIG.. that is where the money is.     There is plenty of vector clipart out there that can be resized,  Buy with a license to use it. And good clean vectors are not cheap. But they save you time and money.  

A business does not have to give you any number,  Many businesses are run under sole proprietors,, and under their SS # and  unless they are real dumb, no one is going to tell you their SS number.  I am NOT an employer. I run my businesses by myself, just like most sellers on Ebay, Amazon, Facebook and other small businesses.  

EIN  is an Employer number.   We don't have employees.    So where is your EIN number?   LOL

The Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or the Federal Tax Identification Number, is a uniquenine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to business entities operating in the United States for the purposes of identification.

My EIN number is right here in my business Folder. with all my other paper work, As i could find online it seemed that was pretty much the only legal thing you needed to do to operate as a Sole proprietor business. so i was trying to be legal about it and signed up for one with the IRS website. I also decided to get one in case i wanted to open a separate bank account it said it would help with that.

So your saying anyone can sell anything they wish in the Vinyl world w/o any type of IRS number just by using there SS number?

6 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

You might try putting something on the back that is an advertisement. I have heard of people who put "Ask me who made this shirt" on the back to let people know that it's OK to ask. 

Ive thought about that, But Ive also had people say something other random shirts ive worn out before. witch was gotten from a store or online store.

3 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

So your saying anyone can sell anything they wish in the Vinyl world w/o any type of IRS number just by using there SS number?

Not just the vinyl world, any business operated as a "sole proprietorship".

20 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

My EIN number is right here in my business Folder. with all my other paper work, As i could find online it seemed that was pretty much the only legal thing you needed to do to operate as a Sole proprietor business. so i was trying to be legal about it and signed up for one with the IRS website. I also decided to get one in case i wanted to open a separate bank account it said it would help with that.

They may check you more, to see who your employees are, and if you paid their taxes. .   Your now an employer, according to how you filed.  

19 minutes ago, Cal said:

Not just the vinyl world, any business operated as a "sole proprietorship".

That's right, my rental property business was the same. 

3 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

They may check you more, to see who your employees are, and if you paid their taxes. .   Your now an employer, according to how you filed.  

It asked why type of business you are and i put sole proprietor I don't have any employees

58 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

It asked why type of business you are and i put sole proprietor I don't have any employees

you have 1 employee :)