darcshadow

Is the font really free?

I found a font, House-a-rama-League-Night, and I can find it for free several different places. However, I also found creator's web page, House Industries, and they have the font priced at $75. So are all the pages that have it listed as free illegal? I want to be on the up and up for this project so if I decide to go with this font I'll probably buy it but what's everyone's take on the font being free on so many web pages?

If the font you're finding on the "free" websites are identical, then I would say that they are prime to get busted.

If you can, charge the customer for the font - or at least half of the cost and buy legit. That's the only way to keep everything above board.

A lot are free for personal use but not for commercial. If it's something that will be out there like a business logo then you'll want to contact the font owner directly. Even buying it may not be enough in some circumstances. If it was going to be the main focal point in a trademark logo it would be worth the extra effort to be totally sure all the proper rights have been purchased. 

• Like 1

I wondered about the free for personal use, but oddly, I couldn't find any sort of license agreement on any of the free sites. Fonts I've looked at in the past usually have something saying for personal use only or what ever.

Unfortunately I can't pass the cost on to my customer, the customer is my wife. Best I could do would be to claim it as a business deduction on taxes next year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darcshadow said:

I wondered about the free for personal use, but oddly, I couldn't find any sort of license agreement on any of the free sites. Fonts I've looked at in the past usually have something saying for personal use only or what ever.

Unfortunately I can't pass the cost on to my customer, the customer is my wife. Best I could do would be to claim it as a business deduction on taxes next year.

Yes, definitely take the tax write off if you can!!