Larkin

Turning off the vinyl cutter between cuts

I have had a Laserpoint 2 for about 3 years. Before that I had  Roland for 17 years. So I'm not new to cutters. Recently, I have had to turn off the cutter in between cuts and back on, seemingly to clear the memory. I run a lot of vinyl, and that has never happened before. In case it was a software issue, I downloaded a new copy and the issue is the same. It's not really that big of deal, but I am afraid that turning it off and on so much will damage the cutter. Any thoughts? 

What cutting software are you using? The reason I ask is, I use SCALP 4 and used to have an LP2. Once after a software update mine would do the same thing, after a cut it wouldn't go back to the main menu on the cutter screen. Found that the update changed my cutter to something else, I switched it back to a laser point 2 and never had the issue again.

• Thanks 1

Hi, I’m using VinylMaster Letter. I was using VinylMaster Cut which is the basic software that came with the cutter when the issue first started. I had been meaning to upgrade to Letter anyway so I did, hoping it would solve the issue, but no such luck. I have tried changing all sorts of options but so far nothing has helped. I appreciate the info :) 

55 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Hi, I’m using VinylMaster Letter. I was using VinylMaster Cut which is the basic software that came with the cutter when the issue first started. I had been meaning to upgrade to Letter anyway so I did, hoping it would solve the issue, but no such luck. I have tried changing all sorts of options but so far nothing has helped. I appreciate the info :) 

If your running it just on the USB,, put it on a serial cable or a Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter.  That is the brand name.  Has helped many people with value cutters. 

• Thanks 1

I run a LPII off of a usb cable and have no problems (but others have) and VinylMaster Pro.  It will run a 45 minute job (a dozen different decals set up as one cutfile), I change out vinyl colors and run another cutfile, multiple times, without needing to reboot anything.  The same computer may also have 4 or 5 other programs open at the same time.

Now I did have one issue I've ran into a couple of times you can look for. While it's cutting I've gone to another screen  like File Explorer or Inkscape.  When I go to cut again it either appears locked up or wants to cut the same thing again.  What would happen is that VM had given a pop-up alert box but since I had another program open, the pop-up was buried and I didn't see it.  The program couldn't operate until I took care of the pop-up.  So next time it locks up look down in your task bar and see if VM may have an extra screen open that you don't see.

• Thanks 1