What are your typical settings? I've found if I am cutting REALLY small items (631 or any size foil/glitter HTV)I need to drop the speed under 100. I'm still afraid to use the stock setting...not sure why...?

I've been leaving the force alone at 99. I use China blades that aren't the greatest, but I have 60 of them...so for now I'll use those. 

Any insight is appreciated. I value the experience here on this forum and appreciate you all helping out so we learn from others' mistakes... 

There is no typical settings.  Each cutter is different, even the same model. You have to fine tune each cutter,  Value cutters may have to be fine tuned each time you cut. The higher end cutters, pretty much set and forget, unless you are changing to different thickness of vinyl.  You may to make several passes on some of those vinyls like glitter.  I hear it's pretty hard to cut.   The force is set by the blade depth.  You must get the blade depth correct first, for each different vinyl you use.  Then you set the force to make it cut correctly. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. I've definitely got the blade depth set well! I now have 3 holders with 3 different blade angles, although I took the advice of other members here and really only use the 60* one. It seems to work really well. Thanks for the tip on the multiple pass! I forgot about that. 

On the subject of force, when it "tears up" the small letters, should I decrease the force until it stops? Right now, it adjusts in increments of 3's...is 3 at a time enough to figure it out? This is actually the reason for this post. I have to cut some VERY small letters, and I spent almost an hour setting my blade depth, and it comes out very good...but still takes up the corners on a few letters. 

1 hour ago, StayHungryFL said:

Thanks for your reply. I've definitely got the blade depth set well! I now have 3 holders with 3 different blade angles, although I took the advice of other members here and really only use the 60* one. It seems to work really well. Thanks for the tip on the multiple pass! I forgot about that. 

On the subject of force, when it "tears up" the small letters, should I decrease the force until it stops? Right now, it adjusts in increments of 3's...is 3 at a time enough to figure it out? This is actually the reason for this post. I have to cut some VERY small letters, and I spent almost an hour setting my blade depth, and it comes out very good...but still takes up the corners on a few letters. 

I had the same question and it came down to how small is too small.  I was trying 1/8 and would get the issue really bad but on 1/4 it was not an issue.  I would use only the 60 and my speed was around 30(Titan), force 120- 140, and blade depth set just barely halfway from the carrier and vinyl. I just could not get the small letters done right with any of the many settings I tried but then again I also see that using a stepper vs servo matters as well.  I see that one of the Graphtech can do 1/4 without issue but again it all is a matter of dialing in and the blade used.  I think I was just going past the limit of what i could do on mine.

Just now, julian keller said:

I had the same question and it came down to how small is too small.  I was trying 1/8 and would get the issue really bad but on 1/4 it was not an issue.  I would use only the 60 and my speed was around 30(Titan), force 120- 140, and blade depth set just barely halfway from the carrier and vinyl. I just could not get the small letters done right with any of the many settings I tried but then again I also see that using a stepper vs servo matters as well.  I see that one of the Graphtech can do 1/4 without issue but again it all is a matter of dialing in and the blade used.  I think I was just going past the limit of what i could do on mine.

The first pic is how well it does on HTV with the servo motor. Just about 4.5mm. The second pic is Oracal 651...same size. 

IMG_2168.JPG

IMG_2263.JPG

yea I only tried the 651 on mine that small and it did that same thing. Never tried it on HTV.  However, you have the servo model so that killed my theory on that(I have the stepper)...LOL

Now I wonder if the carrier adhesive and the stretch may be a factor in it.

For me, speed and force will be determined by design, vinyl type, and vinyl color.

• Like 1