So, I ordered some extra teflon sheets, and heat tape to tape a sheet to the bottom platen. The silicone pad sure makes it difficult to slide garments into place. Anyone have any experience with this? Any reason why this won't work? I can't see spending $40 on a platen cover when I can spend $15 on 3 teflon sheets and tape. lol. I have done several shirts already and it seems to be holding up just fine so far...

I may do it to the top as well as I keep forgetting to put on a teflon cover sheet when I'm in a rush. Sometimes the carrier sticks a bit and pulls up. Need to learn to SLOW DOWN! 

LOL! I did the same thing with the same thought as you. it helps a lot more that I can say.  I have  a local seamstress that is willing to put the stretch ends on for $10 so I am still coming out cheaper. Look on AMZ as I spent $9 for 3 large sheets.

• Like 1

I do NOT like the clamshell since I have very large hands & arms. I burnt myself 100 times literally! My wife gave me this glove that I stretched out to fit. lol. Now if I have to adjust the design before I press I save the top of my hand. :)

I used to  use strong magnets to hold the teflon on the top platen - then got the hotronix with the teflon covers and love it.   if you do sublimation make sure you get some butcher paper to change between presses as the ink outgasses and attaches to anything near by including teflon and then re sublimates on a later press

• Like 1

I am DEFINITELY looking into upgrading my press if this keeps building as it has. I had to start somewhere I guess...lol 

46 minutes ago, StayHungryFL said:

I am DEFINITELY looking into upgrading my press if this keeps building as it has. I had to start somewhere I guess...lol 

we all did - heck I started with a $250 sunie press before moving onto several hotronix and a knight - I used to find deals on hotronix swingers that would only go to the "Hello" screen and freeze there = after getting a bargain would fix them :)   2 years of vocational electronics training has paid dividends 

• Haha 1