Sign in to follow this  
Dakotagrafx

to sell printer or not to sell

Have been fighting back and forth when to sell the Roland -  my wife retires in 2 years and I planned on selling it in about a year in preparation of our more extended travels  - but we have a 19 day vacation coming up in September - so the struggle continues to sell or not to sell before the vacation . . .  .  then to make it harder a bunch of printing orders came in.

Sometimes the struggle of when to sell is as hard as it was on when to buy my first one . . .  

I`m in the same boat Scott, want to devote more time to doing CNC work.

mark-s

• Like 1

Sell only if you absolutely must - a. you totally don't have the room for it; b. you're getting something better; c. you're in the poor house and are about to be homeless; or d. your house looks like it should be put on the TV show Hoarders: Buried Alive

:blink:

• Like 1

Are you getting enough orders to make enough money to keep up with the maintenance  of the printer and still making a good income? Are you making enough money for your time? Are you getting older(yes) and wanting more time for yourself and the wife? Tough questions!!! I have been slowing down myself and picking only the jobs that won't be pushing me too hard due to the old back getting worse. All I can say is weigh all the facts and pros and cons and then just go for it and don't look back. Enjoy life!!!

• Like 1

I wish I was in that boat!  I have been kicking myself for not staying in the Army and I would have been retired 2 years ago.  Alas it was not in the cards.  Do you enjoy doing this? What was the main reason you started it and has the fire died? Think long term.  Will this supplement your retirement income with her retiring also or would it make a difference? Right now for me, I have to try and get my hands in as many different pots as possible as I cannot even think about retiring now for another 25+ years!

Thanks everyone - the reason for selling by the time my wife retires is we plan on going on some extended trips - solvent printers do not do well when sitting unused for extended periods of times - we have done the 2 weeks or a little over and the printer turns itself on about 3-4 times a day and does its own cleaning but over 2 weeks I think is pushing it from the experience I had with my first printer - so when she retires it has to be gone.  this years trip is 19 days and with prepping for trip and getting back in the groove pushes that well over 3 weeks sitting.
Orders are good and I love the printer but when they sit you replace heads and that gets expensive along with my wife really wants me to cut back when she retires.  I can keep the graphtec and do a lot of things down the road but won't have the worry about the printer sitting.   when I do it  - I will make a package of the printer, laminator, ink and lots of vinyl so it will pretty well be a final decision when that bridge is crossed.  having owned 3 eco solvent rolands I can say I love them and as most know I am a maint hound.  As I always said printers are sexy but there are two sides to every equation  -  many nights I have stayed up all night to get orders out quickly - at some point well all slow down some

8 hours ago, haumana said:

Sell only if you absolutely must - a. you totally don't have the room for it; b. you're getting something better; c. you're in the poor house and are about to be home; or d. your house looks like it should be put on the TV show Hoarders: Buried Alive

:blink:

wife is all set for me to cut back and get rid of all the shipping boxes and clutter from the business - I won't quit it all but part of it will need to cut back.  I have taken over a bedroom for the printer, 1/2 the basement for the laminator, cutter, vinyl, boxes, etc. and have a floor standing rotary cutter in the family room along with other supplies like my roll holder for the 1000 ft roll of shipping tape - not to mention the sublimation supplies I still need to use up or sell. so not quite hoarders but it does add a lot of clutter

If she is ready then that just about answers that and she wants some cutter gone. Happy wife and all that...LOL  I have been thinking about expanding myself to a printer in about 6 months or so.  Still having to fight for clients from the stay-at-home moms that are flooding the market right now.

Putting myself in your shoes, I would cut back, enjoy my trips with the wife without having to worry about the equipment and smell the roses! I know I just enjoyed my 2 weeks in Seattle/Vancouver/Alaska with the wife. Time is one thing you cannot get back so enjoy it if you have the chance.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, julian keller said:

If she is ready then that just about answers that and she wants some cutter gone. Happy wife and all that...LOL  I have been thinking about expanding myself to a printer in about 6 months or so.  Still having to fight for clients from the stay-at-home moms that are flooding the market right now.

Putting myself in your shoes, I would cut back, enjoy my trips with the wife without having to worry about the equipment and smell the roses! I know I just enjoyed my 2 weeks in Seattle/Vancouver/Alaska with the wife. Time is one thing you cannot get back so enjoy it if you have the chance.

best part of the alaska cruise/ land tour we did with princess was the 3 days prior when we rented a class c motorhome and toured ourselves.  10 to park about anywhere overnight,  camper fully stocked except food and soap - and we stopped and hiked any time we wanted without a schedule.  Ohhh and same price as a hotel for the rental

Problem solved! Scott, sell your stuff to Julian!

Yah ... printer in the bedroom ... no-go. Hahaha.

You can get some reclaimed quality time and floor space :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, haumana said:

LOL! Yea right, My wife is not ready for all of this yet.

2 hours ago, haumana said:

she still has 2 bedrooms and she picked that when she kicked it out of the family room :)

• Haha 1