eprcvinyls

Why would the vinyl peel off the shirt

Ok so most of my shirts seem to do fine but a few of my shirts days after I pressed them.a couple of letters want to peel back but not the same letter and not in the same spot. Almost doesn't make sense to me. What are the reasons would cause this the htv is all the same htv. Sisser easyweed. Temp 310 15 secs pressed what I think is good pressure but I might need more pressure then I'm using... 

Now that I think about it I don't think it's easy weed it's got a white backing on it got it from the local vinyl shop only this color is doing it it's foresent green do the foresent act driffrent?

Thanks for thoughts

One idea, some shirts have a stain resistant formula incorporated into the fabric.  This makes it hard for anything to stick to it, stains or htv.  But before that, if you have some mystery vinyl you need to identify it.  God forbid it is sign vinyl.  But I think that would melt and leave a huge mess.  What is the fabric made of?  Is it a blend?  Does it have high spandex or modal?  Those blends might be more likely to have a stain resistant treatment.  If it is a sensitive material, MAYBE reducing the heat some, increasing the dweel time and using a cover sheet would help.

Sounds like lack of heat. If it's NOT easy weed the rest mostly apply between 320 and 330 so that could be it. Have you checked your press with a heat temp thermometer? Always a good idea to do a double check. 

Thanks guys I should have said in first post all my shirts are the same all from jiffyshirts and there all 100% cotten, they are all fruit of the loom.

It is htv I got it from a brick business the lady is real nice this one color is only one having issue with the black,white,yellow I've got from her has been fine this green only one gave issues 

And yes I check the press temp with a heat gun regularly to make sure it's correct

Funny how shirts been hanging and looked fine for weeks then go to wear it and  stuff comes loose. 

Probably NOT the culprit but if you happen to try and use a product that is specifically for polyester and nylon like Siser Extra on a 100% cotton shirt it will come off.  I tested this out to be sure and they weren't kidding. 

• Like 1

I will be finding out from the business that sold it to me what kind it is. She sold me what she had in the store but then ordered more so she should know what it is.

• Like 1

Interesting, I use Siser easyweed stretch and regular.  I have not had that issue yet with either.  My florescent, that is the regular, is applied at 305 for 15 seconds, med pressure.  Mine does look different from the one you posted as mine has a clear backing.

20 hours ago, julian keller said:

Interesting, I use Siser easyweed stretch and regular.  I have not had that issue yet with either.  My florescent, that is the regular, is applied at 305 for 15 seconds, med pressure.  Mine does look different from the one you posted as mine has a clear backing.

I dont think the green is easyweed it cant be siser cause ive got so many other shirts ive done with all colors and none have done like this also you cant see the texture of the shirt throught the green but you can see it on all the other shirts ive done.

still not heard back from the business yet. they were closed yesterday

Siser e-z weed green florescent has a white(ish) light green back like you have displayed

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 11:54 AM, mfatty500 said:

Siser e-z weed green florescent has a white(ish) lie green back like you have displayed

So does it require different temp or press time pressure?

its the only color ive had issues with.

If, in fact it is Siser,  then no, use the same time & temp, but it sure looks like it to me. Where did you buy the shirts from? Did you pre-wash them? were they brought in by the customer?

19 hours ago, mfatty500 said:

If, in fact it is Siser,  then no, use the same time & temp, but it sure looks like it to me. Where did you buy the shirts from? Did you pre-wash them? were they brought in by the customer?

The shirts are from Jiffyshirts Fruit of the loom 100% cotten as all the other shirts i have same place all the other shirts ive purchased have come from. No I do not wash my shirts. I just take out of the box, pre press 2-4 secs then press for 12-15 secs at 305-310 degrees. I have made 10 other shirts, for myself and my wife a couple of mine have front and back and ive had Zero issues and ive worn all of those 5-10 times me sweating in them and working in them and Zero issues.

Its got to be the vinyl and i got it at a local Vinyl shop. everything ive pressed has been purchased from her shop but this is the first with a white backing and that ive had issues with. i have another thread where i was asking about one or 2 letters trying to pull up, and it happened with this same green vinyl

decided to try pressing another shirt with the green but i did it at 335 degrees 15 secs and this is how it turned out. ive only worn it about 2 hours while doing things outside its hot out and so far it seems okay maybe they just needed more temp sorry its sideways it looked right on my pc The wet looking dots are water drops i took then when i came in from watering the yard about 30 mins after i did it

20180525_170220.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, julian keller said:

Now it is time to see what happens in the wash.

Yeah i plan to wash it and keep wearing it. im hoping it was just not enough heat for it before. i never heard back from the vinyl shop guess i will ask her next time i go in to get something if i go back, this whole situation has gotten me really down. about making shirts and having them not hold up even to a hour of wearing.

Just odd that you had to go that high of heat.  I have not went over 305 with any of mine. That being said I do increase the pressure just a bit over medium and the time about 2-3 seconds longer for some garments if I know how they are going to be used.  Most of the ones that I do that with are a cotton/poly 65/35 blend that is used for runners that I cater to. Others that are just normal wear I do the normal recommended press. 

Now though, I am trying out the Stahls Premium Plus.  It has me a bit worried because of the peel warm/cold and tugs more when peeling vs EW Stretch.  I was only using EWS for the stuff I was doing but they did not have any of the Fluorescent/Hot pink I needed in stock. I do like the softer feel of it and I can go as low as 280 if needed.

I want to see how yours does in the wash.  Maybe the vinyl got too warm at one point/old and it degraded from not storing it well?

5 minutes ago, mfatty500 said:

I  always tell our customers to wait 2 days before washing

I quote mine with a day extra that way they have time to set at least 24hrs. Then with the extra day that they wear it then wash I am pretty much safe. I also add a little card with care instructions just for that added insurance and explain it at the time of pickup.

On 5/26/2018 at 9:21 AM, julian keller said:

Just odd that you had to go that high of heat.  I have not went over 305 with any of mine. That being said I do increase the pressure just a bit over medium and the time about 2-3 seconds longer for some garments if I know how they are going to be used.  Most of the ones that I do that with are a cotton/poly 65/35 blend that is used for runners that I cater to. Others that are just normal wear I do the normal recommended press. 

Now though, I am trying out the Stahls Premium Plus.  It has me a bit worried because of the peel warm/cold and tugs more when peeling vs EW Stretch.  I was only using EWS for the stuff I was doing but they did not have any of the Fluorescent/Hot pink I needed in stock. I do like the softer feel of it and I can go as low as 280 if needed.

I want to see how yours does in the wash.  Maybe the vinyl got too warm at one point/old and it degraded from not storing it well?

Yeah, well someone on this thread said if its not real siser then others need be put on at 325=335 so figured i would try it.. The shirts that letters started coming off of were never washed not before or after and they hung on cloth hangers for like 2 weeks in my bedroom before anyone ever worn one. soon they wore them they started coming off.

On 5/26/2018 at 9:36 AM, mfatty500 said:

I  always tell our customers to wait 2 days before washing

The ones i do For myself and family normally go week or longer before the first wash. I have a special hanging spot in my room and they get hung on it for a while before worn or washed all others been washed inside out and worn and done fine.

Yea something is off.  I think it might be old vinyl IMO. Sounds like the it has some break down and and is not able to bond properly. Only way to really know is order some and test it.  I have not had any issues with any I have ordered....so far.  From all I have read before starting is that every vinyl has a self life.  It degrades quicker if not stored properly which may be the case here. No telling how long she has had that stock is there?

I don't know, I have used some very old vinyl (HTV not Sign vinyl) and other than it feeling definitely less pliable in the cut and weed it held on fine. On a side note I have tested Siser at a lot higher temps without it failing. I wouldn't recommend installing at high all the time but the test shirts I did clear up at 330 didn't seem to mind. You could see a little of the glue weeping out along the edges but other than that it help up. I did one clear up at 350 just to see if it would melt but it didn't. 

11 hours ago, julian keller said:

Yea something is off.  I think it might be old vinyl IMO. Sounds like the it has some break down and and is not able to bond properly. Only way to really know is order some and test it.  I have not had any issues with any I have ordered....so far.  From all I have read before starting is that every vinyl has a self life.  It degrades quicker if not stored properly which may be the case here. No telling how long she has had that stock is there?

She ordered the last part for me so maybe the place she orders from had old?not sure I wish i knew what it was for sure. so far this shirt is holding up. it get washed in next few days but always hung out on a line to dry in summer. so will see

I bought green vinyl from our local craft store in June. It was the siser brand. I made shirts and hung them up waiting for delivery date which was this weekend. Total Fail of the green! The white stayed on but the green fell off within minutes. What didn't come off could be peeled off like a sticker. Temp was 305 -20sec used a hand press. Need to remake but concerned about what green to buy next. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Alandbryh said:

I bought green vinyl from our local craft store in June. It was the siser brand. I made shirts and hung them up waiting for delivery date which was this weekend. Total Fail of the green! The white stayed on but the green fell off within minutes. What didn't come off could be peeled off like a sticker. Temp was 305 -20sec used a hand press. Need to remake but concerned about what green to buy next. 

Check the temp of your press with an or thermometer to verify temp,  adjust pressure, you should see the pattern of the material in the vinyl after pressing. . . Third did you pre press to remove moisture?