tomcyr

Laser Point 2 won't always boot up and freezes

I have a 24" Laser Point vinyl cutter bought in 2009 and has about an hour of cutting time on it. I keep it covered but power cord plugged in.  It looks brand new.  I am a hobbyist sign maker and a real estate investor.  I fire it up about once a year on as standalone XP PC connected with a serial cable and am using the SignBlazer software.  Last time I tried to cut, the cutter froze with just a blip of a jerk of the motor.  The panel is frozen until I reboot, and then the same thing happens.  Now it won't even usually boot up, but has black rectangles on the first line of the display.  Once in a while it would boot but after moving the cutter with the panel arrows, it would freeze up and not go on line or off line.  

I've been told by USCutter that it's not supported any longer.  I opened it up and can't find any burned components on the control boards mounted in the base.  I was hoping for an electronics repair place to save the day.   Any ideas where to start or do I dump this hardly used boat anchor in the recycling bin and shop for another $300 small cutter?  I'm not seeing any prospective units on CL or Ebay.  Is there an old unit that shops don't use anymore that would be good to search for that would last longer than an hour?  Thanks for your suggestions.

Open the case to the display, control panel.   maybe wires are corroded or loose.  Turn the grit rollers and make sure they are free.  That would turn the belt to the motor.. Sitting like that for years, probably not too good for it.   I don't know why you would have it plugged in all those years. Possible power surges while your not there. who knows!!

With the cutter being that old, it is probably a Creation brand.   They sell Liyu brand now. 

Likewise, I didn't find any loose wires inside.  It doesn't show any Creation stickers either.  Only USCutter on the panel.

Laser Point motherboard.jpg

Laser Point power.jpg

Laser Point.jpg

2 minutes ago, tomcyr said:

Likewise, I didn't find any loose wires inside.  It doesn't show any Creation stickers either.  Only USCutter on the panel.

Laser Point power.jpg

look on the picture you posted of the power supply board - it says creation pcut plotter 2.01 under the rectifier to the left of the transformer - so definitely a creation laserpoint 1.   never leave an unused plotter or any other electronics not used for months plugged in  - like skeeter said surges happen 

Don't know what to tell you then.  But if you go thru the old posts back at that time for the Laserpointer,,  they were Creation.  UScutter does not make vinyl cutters,  they only sell them.   We had a storm here last night,  The first thing that gets unplugged is my vinyl cutter, every time I hear thunder or lightening.  TV is next.  I don't care if it is on a surge protector. They still get unplugged. 

• Like 1

I got it to boot up and ran the test cycle - without vinyl.  I rubberbanded the blade head up after 15 minutes of it running.  It's still running after 20 min.  How long does this test take?  Very Strange!

Pretty sure it should just cut a simple square with a triangle inside of it. Should take just a few seconds.

• Like 1

It is FIXED!  I used the drop-kick method to get her to self test for an hour before I pulled the plug.  When I started her back up, everything worked as normal.  I actually didn't have to complete the "Kick" part of the repair, just the "Drop."  She is her old self again.  Must be a loose component or cold solder joint somewhere.  Glad it's operational again.  I have some signs to make!  Thanks members for your help.

And yes, it is unplugged from both the power cord as well as the serial cord.

Depends on what you're wanting to do with the printer. In terms of standard paper printing, laser is better for speed and cost, inkjet is better for photo and images.

What are you wanting to do with your printer?