I have always had 30" vinyl cutter, and I would not want a cutter smaller or a cutter bigger.  I also carry 24" and 30" width vinyl.  Over 20 different colors.   Vinyl is not wasted. The scraps can be saved and used for other projects.  I only sell online.  I create designs to use that 28" width of the vinyl.  The money is in big decals.  I don't have to split anything.  I may cut a design that is really 28" w x 60" L.  No splits.  Bigger decals bigger money.  I don't think the $60 for the larger cutter is out of line.  That cutter was on sale last week.  It is not a matter of will you use that size, create designs to use that size.  You really have to create a niche' first or your just going to be competing with everyone else who has a vinyl cutter. You have to stand out.   You can read the specs on USCutter.com   but this is what is posted for width   24/31/48 in  for the 3 different sizes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, darcshadow said:

For the stuff you referenced, a 28" would be more than big enough. I only do this as a hobby have have a 24" cutter, but I've never had a need to bigger. The few cases where I had a design larger than 24" it was simple to break the design into segments that could easily be cut on a 24" cutter and then pieced together during application.

Same here! Been doing the hobby thing for over 10+ years, and have only needed to outsource once - and that was because they wanted it a 30" 3-color. My 24" LP has never failed me. I can creatively section and tile stuff.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys.  Skeeter, I forgot that you can put 24" vinyl in a 30" cutter...lol good idea.  I haven't come up with my own niche yet, theres just so many directions to go with vinyl it's hard to know which isn't oversaturated.  But I think I'll start with getting the LP3 instead of the SC2, even though I'll never use contour cutting, just seems higher quality.

You can use pretty much use any smaller vinyl than 30" in a 30" cutter.  I have a Graphtec with ARMS contour cutting and I don't use it either.  I bought the Graphtec for a great quality vinyl cutter.  If you can afford it, just go up to a cutter with a servo motor,  More accurate and quiet. 

• Like 2

I have a LP3 and I am very disappointed in this plotter. The accuracy of this plotter is terrible. It looses its place when cutting larger pictures but then it sucks when it comes to details in smaller jobs. Mad I waited to use it now I can’t return it!!! The Michigan letters were to be more sharp and pointy instead it just rounds everything off

FC62A454-7D3E-41A5-ACC0-9ED67065002E.png

It doesn't sound like you set it up correctly.  Sounds like you didn't set the blade depth and blade offset correctly, which is why you have rounded letters.  Any value cutter can also be over loaded with memory, depending on how many nodes are in the design(picture). Nodes can be simplified.  You haven't explained how you tried to set it up. or ask any questions for help here. Unless you have been running and setting up vinyl cutters for years, there is a learning curve.  This is why it is considered a skilled job. Every vinyl cutter settings have to be tweeked into getting top performance out of them.  It is not plug and play.   So explain how you set your blade depth, which is the first thing that you need to get correct.  You may find that it is all user error, which is the problem with a lot of new users.   Show a picture of your test cuts. Don't blame a vinyl cutter performance, unless your an expert at setting them up. My 2c

• Like 2

The quality of the graphic to start with can make a big difference as well. Was the image an auto trace? That will result in horrible results for fonts. I would say to post your file, but it can't contain any copyright protected stuff.

• Like 2