Mr_Peanut

Need some help

Been a long time since I have been here, havent done much sign stuff lately.  But I need some help and was hoping someone here could assist.  I will try to keep this short.  I am currently deployed to an "undisclosed location" and our sign shop computer crashed.  We are having some difficulty with Big Air Force allowing us to reinstall our software, very long story.  My problem is I am only running Illustrator CS4 from my personal laptop to do sign work on then SignBlazer to the cutter.  The problem is some of the signs require the Arabic translations as well, but I cant do it in CS4.  Is there any chance that one of you out there can send me a vector of the signage that I need in older CS4 format so i can make these signs?  Its all simple language such as "Danger High Voltage" type things.  I just dont have the capability from my software and im not interested in purchasing anything to make this happen as i cant install in on government computers and i dont really have a need for it after i am gone from here.  If anyone out there is willing to give me a  hand on this, i would be greatly appreciative.

Mr. Peanut.  I don't have CS4.  I can access CS6 and Illustrator CC 2018.  I have CorelDraw X6 through 2018.   Inkscape too for inclusion.  I don't know how well Illustrators saving in an older version works.  I would be inclined to do it in Draw and send eps files.  But as you have not gotten any hits on this thread yet  I decided to chime in.  If you want to send me a list I can try getting some eps files for you that will hopefully work in CS4.  They may work directly in SB.  I rarely do any kind of translations.  So your call seemed a way to practice and for a civilian to aid a small amount.

I have CS4 ..... but my CS6 can save back to 4...I've done it many times

Sue2

On 5/3/2018 at 1:21 AM, Mr_Peanut said:

Been a long time since I have been here, havent done much sign stuff lately.  But I need some help and was hoping someone here could assist.  I will try to keep this short.  I am currently deployed to an "undisclosed location" and our sign shop computer crashed.  We are having some difficulty with Big Air Force allowing us to reinstall our software, very long story.  My problem is I am only running Illustrator CS4 from my personal laptop to do sign work on then SignBlazer to the cutter.  The problem is some of the signs require the Arabic translations as well, but I cant do it in CS4.  Is there any chance that one of you out there can send me a vector of the signage that I need in older CS4 format so i can make these signs?  Its all simple language such as "Danger High Voltage" type things.  I just dont have the capability from my software and im not interested in purchasing anything to make this happen as i cant install in on government computers and i dont really have a need for it after i am gone from here.  If anyone out there is willing to give me a  hand on this, i would be greatly appreciative.

You are just having trouble opening the arabic fonts, is that correct? Gosh I think there's a setting for that. I run CS5 but have the venerable CS2 on a computer at my day job. I'll poke around in there when I get in to the office and see if I can find where that check box is. I may be wrong, it happens sometimes. 

Guess i probably should have asked this one in the Illustrator forum huh, sorry

dcbevins, i would appreciate it if you could give it a shot.  I save backwards to older versions of Illustrator and as long as its vectored and not left as a font, it works just fine.  I have 2 signs to make right now if you would be willing to give it a shot.  Dont worry about size so much, i can scale as needed as long as its vectored.

CAUTION

HAZARDOUS NOISE AREA

HEARING PROTECTION REQUIRED

WHEN MACHINES ARE OPERATING

And this one

DANGER-----HIGH VOLTAGE-----KEEP OUT

Wildgoose, I need it to be in actual written Arabic language, not just Arabic font.  From what i understand, CS6 and up has the capability of doing Arabic.  I have the Arabic font installed in my font library, but not the same thing, that just makes arabic looking letters, but not the actual written language.

Dimensions of the sign?

All I did was paste your words into Google Translate and copy paste back into Draw.  Export as eps and pdf.  I don't see why this wouldn't work in CS4 or probably directly in SignBlazer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsh90edwojngmt3/translation.eps?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/og9lv8f2dycot6q/translation.pdf?dl=0

The pdf's canvas size is just the Arabic, but there is English outside the canvas.  I have no idea how capitalization works in Arabic.   I have no clue what fonts are appropriate.  It was just the default font.

• Like 1

I tried that, but when i pasted back to Illustrator, it just gave me little black boxes with some weird symbol in them.  I will take a look at what you did and see if that will work.  thanks for the help.

On 5/4/2018 at 7:54 AM, dcbevins said:

Dimensions of the sign?

All I did was paste your words into Google Translate and copy paste back into Draw.  Export as eps and pdf.  I don't see why this wouldn't work in CS4 or probably directly in SignBlazer.

I just tested DC's files and it came up fine. The only thing I did differently is was to open the original .eps file in AI (CS3), ungroup, and resaved as an .eps.

Imported that file right into SBE and it came out great right away - super big, but it came out! No black boxes.

I'm attaching the file that I imported to SBE. If you're still getting little black boxes with weird symbols, could you take a screen shot and post that?

translation.eps