Small_W0nder

Vinyl to Withstand Extreme Temperatures?

Hello,

Me and my Summa T-75 recently relocated to Phoenix, Arizona where summer temperatures can be sustained at 120'F+. 

The job at hand just some vinyl lettering for a local business to be installed on their glass door and perhaps the side window. The door is tempered glass and the side window is an insulated glass. I spoke with a 3M representative who was moderately helpful in identifying two potential dangers, but he couldn't suggest a product to overcome the conditions.

1) At sustained high temperatures, the adhesive may melt or warp. Is there a vinyl suitable for glass that can withstand known high temperatures?

2) The uneven redistribution of heat may cause the glass to break. Less of a problem for the tempered glass but may be an issue for that side window. Any stories or experiences with this happening?

I'm wondering if anyone else here has faced a similar problem? Any technical sheets out there for vinyl rolls? 3M seems to have the most information, but if other brand vinyls will do the job, I'll happily go with that.  

Getting my feet wet in Arizona and already facing an interesting challenge. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Might want to look at polyester or there is an industrial vinyl.  I remember seeing something about it has 0 shrink and up to 300 or 350.  Not sure if you have to get a large roll of it or not as I believe it was for industrial use only. 

Would it be an option of putting it on the inside that way the heat would not matter?

• Like 1

Most vinyls are not designed to be on the inside. The glue breaks down from the UV exposure.

I've used vinyl as masks for powder coating where the vinyl is "baked" at 400 for about 3 minutes. It holds up well to that so I don't think 120 is going to be too big of a concern. I've also put some on a buddies black truck hood and it has done ok. A bit of shrinkage, but it was early in my vinyl endeavor and I used calendared vinyl. Good quality cast vinyl should do just fine.

I wouldn't worry about the glass breaking from uneven heat. The vinyl is not going to change the heat distribution enough to be of concern. The point where the glass touches the edge of the window would have a higher temperature change and it doesn't have issues. Really the danger in glass breaking from temperature is from sudden changes, such as hot water on an iced over windshield.

• Like 1

I guess ive never thought about the heat in that way, I mean we put vinyl on our tinted windows of automobiles and on the cars themselves so not sure how hot a car really gets. Mine sits in the sun all day and i know with the windows rolled up in summer it gets very hot inside the car. i will have to temp the glass and see what kinda readings i get.

• Like 1