Sign in to follow this  
eprcvinyls

Strange issue, While pressing HTV some letters not staying down ?

Okay so i got my shirts and HTV for the family reunion shirts and have been working yesterday and today on them, got my new 15x15 press and loving it. so nice to be able to have the timer built in and the temp and for it to tell me the temp on display but ive been double checking for now with my temp gun.

anyhow today I've had 2 letters that tried to lift up with me when i went to peel the clear off after took off the press. im confused to why just a couple these random letters have done this.

Right now i have a bottom part of a E that is lifted it didn't stay stuck at all its in the middle of the shirt and there is 2018 date below it and words above there all seem fine.

I had the L on another shirt do same thing but it seemed to stay down. I did re press it for a few seconds when i noticed. Not really sure what I should do when this happens.

I almost thought the press was to hot but i was at 315 and doing it for 15 seconds

Thanks

do you pre press for 5 seconds to remove moisture?  are the shirts from a source other than a store so you know they have nothing on them?

2 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

do you pre press for 5 seconds to remove moisture?  are the shirts from a source other than a store so you know they have nothing on them?

I totally just realized i posted in the wrong spot can u move it to the t shirt area?

I was before theses shirts always doing the pre press but ive been folding these in half and press for couple seconds to make a cress, as i seen a tip on utube and so not been doing the regular press

the HOLT looks the worse would you say to much heat or not enough?

Here are pictures, There from jiffyshirts. Ive not had a issue only one youth shirt and one adult one out of the 5 i've done so far in this order.

20180424_164605.jpg

20180424_164610.jpg

20180424_164626.jpg

20180424_164631.jpg

I did notice the white shirt is Fruit of loom Heavy HD Cotton the Youth is Glidan heavy cotton and the other shirts ive done all have been Fruit of loom just Regular HD cotton not sure any of that matters?

jiffyshirts should be ok as long as not washed - looks like from the photos maybe not enough pressure if you already checked the temp it the ir gun

3 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

jiffyshirts should be ok as long as not washed - looks like from the photos maybe not enough pressure if you already checked the temp it the ir gun

well i just looked online and the easyweed pdf i found showed 305 temp so maybe a lil to hot guess i will try it there with next one and see how it goes. My older Press i was using i dont think it was keeping temp well.

You really need to prepress to get the moisture out. Make sure your heatpress is displaying the temp in Fahrenheit and not Celsius. I normally use around 310F for Easyweed. It also looks like you need more pressure. You should be able to see the texture of the fabric on the htv.

Check your press temp. I know this was mentioned earlier but most if not ALL the budget presses are quote a bit off on the temp. I had a whole new set of numbers after getting a heat gun to check mine. Pressure and time are the only other factors and if you have the shirt collar up on the press often it will hold the edge of the platen up just enough that it doesn't get good even pressure. You can usually see the pattern from the fabric through the vinyl when it's down good. Those are going to come off in the wash from the pics. Not to worry because you can still re-press at this point. Siser can handle the heat just fine so a little hot won't usually hurt, if you have a cold spot on your platen and need to run it a little hotter to keep the whole thing at 305. I have done two color jobs with a mixed vinyl that had 330 on one and 305 on the other without causing a failure in the Siser. Sometimes some of the adhesive will show up along the edge when you get too hot or too much pressure but it's not something the average person would notice. 

On 4/25/2018 at 6:32 PM, KYSIGN said:

You really need to prepress to get the moisture out. Make sure your heatpress is displaying the temp in Fahrenheit and not Celsius. I normally use around 310F for Easyweed. It also looks like you need more pressure. You should be able to see the texture of the fabric on the htv.

Thanks, I had forgot why people pre pressed for. I don't know why some people on utube videos dont pre press

13 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Check your press temp. I know this was mentioned earlier but most if not ALL the budget presses are quote a bit off on the temp. I had a whole new set of numbers after getting a heat gun to check mine. Pressure and time are the only other factors and if you have the shirt collar up on the press often it will hold the edge of the platen up just enough that it doesn't get good even pressure. You can usually see the pattern from the fabric through the vinyl when it's down good. Those are going to come off in the wash from the pics. Not to worry because you can still re-press at this point. Siser can handle the heat just fine so a little hot won't usually hurt, if you have a cold spot on your platen and need to run it a little hotter to keep the whole thing at 305. I have done two color jobs with a mixed vinyl that had 330 on one and 305 on the other without causing a failure in the Siser. Sometimes some of the adhesive will show up along the edge when you get too hot or too much pressure but it's not something the average person would notice. 

Thanks for the info, I did notice that some spots on the press is different temps one spot be 305 another only 300. So Yeah.. Ive done a few more shirts and they all turned out better. I think i might had it to hot for a couple of those. I ended up taking a Heat iron a small one and pressed those messed up words they look perfect now. New press and not sure how much pressure is needed think i will turn the knob a lil to get a lil more pressure.

20 hours ago, eprcvinyls said:

Thanks, I had forgot why people pre pressed for. I don't know why some people on utube videos dont pre press

Thanks for the info, I did notice that some spots on the press is different temps one spot be 305 another only 300. So Yeah.. Ive done a few more shirts and they all turned out better. I think i might had it to hot for a couple of those. I ended up taking a Heat iron a small one and pressed those messed up words they look perfect now. New press and not sure how much pressure is needed think i will turn the knob a lil to get a lil more pressure.

With siser, too hot will not cause a failure nor will too much pressure. Too cool or two little pressure will. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

With siser, too hot will not cause a failure nor will too much pressure. Too cool or two little pressure will. 

Oh, alright , well i dont know why those 2 shirts did that then.. maybe it wasn't hot enough along the whole thing. but i did fix the shirts after and my new shirt i made yesterday did fine.