Miss Renegade

Loss of pressure while cutting

Hi all, I have a MH-871, which has been good for what I need (hobby use).  I noticed this issue shortly after receiving the machine, but I chalked this issue up to being new (which still may be the issue and I am overlooking something simple), but have noticed that when I do a run of multiple images the cutter seems to lose pressure with the last half. 

This has not been noted when doing a larger image (24 x 26”), but is noted when doing four 5 x 5” images.  It is always the left-side (while facing the machine) ones that suffer.  Eg.  The first two stickers cut fine at 60 cut pressure, the third one seems like it was cut at 40 , and the fourth (final) one seems like it was cut at 20. 

The first two will take 2 minutes to weed, the third one a painstaking 30 minutes, and fourth is not going to happen at all.  This happens whether I line up multiples and cut as one run or if I send them individually to the machine (just moving the location of the head as I go).  I have attempted changing pressure, but if I start out at 80 (for example) it will blow out the backing paper.  I have attempted changing blade depth (where I have it now is ideal [barely visible – test cuts are perfect]). 

I’m not sure what causes this, my husband thinks it could possibly be due to alignment (when our machine first arrived it had been manhandled by the post and had a damaged leg on the left side – we figured it was only aesthetic and decided it didn’t bother us, come to find out we needed a new motherboard.  Grr).  I am hoping there is a simple fix, because unfortunately I don’t have the money to step up to a big boy cutter just yet.

Check your cutting strip for gouges,  make sure it is level    Make sure there is not anything in the rail track on the left side that would raise the carriage head.  Make sure the white wheels of carriage head are firmly down in the track.  And this is the correct way to set your blade depth  It works.  If the blade is set correctly it won't go thru the backing paper. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder.

also check your carriage arm for cracks - we have seen overtightening of the blade retaining device cause cracks but that should affect all cuts I would think - just brainstorming

I know the blade depth is set correctly and not the recommended credit card length. 

Thank you for your input Mz Skeeter.  

I'll double check the cutting strop and carriage wheels tonight when I get home.  If I send the carriage head from it's starting point (right) to the left side I have not noticed any jumps/skips, which leads me to believe it should be in alignment.  

Thanks Dakota, I'll make sure to the arm at a look also.  

It really baffles me though, it has no problem cutting one continuous image, but when it is multiple smaller ones is when this issue arises. 

The reason I stated the blade depth,  if you raise the force, the blade should not even be going thru the paper. It can't. The blade depth should at the vinyl depth. minus backing paper.  

11 minutes ago, Miss Renegade said:

I know the blade depth is set correctly and not the recommended credit card length

Thank you for your input Mz Skeeter.  

I'll double check the cutting strop and carriage wheels tonight when I get home.  If I send the carriage head from it's starting point (right) to the left side I have not noticed any jumps/skips, which leads me to believe it should be in alignment.  

Thanks Dakota, I'll make sure to the arm at a look also.  

It really baffles me though, it has no problem cutting one continuous image, but when it is multiple smaller ones is when this issue arises. 

nobody with a clue says to use a credit card to measure anything on a plotter - much less blade depth - skeeters directions have helped so many that were mislead down that path

• Like 1

I stand corrected, I assumed the higher the cutting force the harder it pushes the blade into the material.  I haven't had issues with cutting into the backing paper unless I up the cutting pressure considerably, which must be where I connected force and marked backing paper in my head.  I'll back the blade off a hair as it is barely visible now and barely marks the backing paper.

Dakota, I had used her directions on setting blade depth when I first received the machine because the blade depth at half a CC thickness (where ever I found that unhelpful information) clearly wasn't doing any good which was what I was referencing in that comment, which is why I assumed my current blade depth was good because I haven't had issues marks on the backer.  

Still going to double check all the things you guys mentioned once I'm home in a few hours as I still think that something is wonky with the left side of the machine. 

Vinyl is very easy to cut as long as you have a sharp blade. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. You should barely see and feel the very tip of the blade out of the blade holder. 

There could be something wrong with the cutter..  

Yeah I barely feel it when I run my finger over it, and I have to tilt it in the light to be able to see the blade.  

I'll check it all out tonight and report back.  

Unfortunately this was the cutter we could afford, otherwise I would have gone with something a few steps up. 

Cracks on carriage arm? None.

Cutting strip gouged?  No.

Cutting strip level?  Yes.

No object/raising of the carriage head, wheels move free in the track.

Maybe the next time I do a run I'll start it on the left hand side opposed to the right and see if the issue persists.

You stated it had a damaged left leg...   Maybe try just the vinyl cutter on a flat level surface,  ( off the stand) and see if still does it.

What software are you using? How are you doing the 4 5x5 images? Are you doing them one at a time and restarting with a new origin point each time, or are you loading all 4 into the cut programs laid out across the 24" width and cutting them all at once?

Also are you sure you don't have the problem when cutting larger decals and the problem is hidden by the fact that the larger decal is easier to weed naturally?

Try making an image that's full width and an inch high (so you don't waste a bunch of vinyl).  Make a box with a repeating shape or letter in it.  If it's a mechanical problem, you should see the issue start to appear as it moves to the left.