Ickey Joey

Illustrator diagonal like issue

Recommended Posts

So Im been trying to figure this out but im kind of stumped.  I traced a very basic linear logo/script which consists with mainly diagonal lines using pen tool as I have done countless times and it appears to be perfect visually however after I put the file into LXi and cut it all the diagonal lines come out choppy and wavey.  Went back to the file in Illustrator and every diagonal line when zoomed appears wavey and on order for those waves to chenge I have to change the angle of the line and even then the line doesnt appear to be 100% geometric.  Anyone have any idea why what is?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No mention of which cutter you are using... Posting the file will help.as long as it is not copyright protected.  Is this the first time you are using this vinyl cutter?  First problem on the vinyl cutter.?  Not enough info.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ickey Joey said:

So Im been trying to figure this out but im kind of stumped.  I traced a very basic linear logo/script which consists with mainly diagonal lines using pen tool as I have done countless times and it appears to be perfect visually however after I put the file into LXi and cut it all the diagonal lines come out choppy and wavey.  Went back to the file in Illustrator and every diagonal line when zoomed appears wavey and on order for those waves to chenge I have to change the angle of the line and even then the line doesnt appear to be 100% geometric.  Anyone have any idea why what is?

what type of file are you using to export out of ai and into lxi with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in your production manager go to the properties for your cutter - third tab and check what the curve quality is set at

image.thumb.png.644718506ad0205e3fb1922b013cbeab.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You say you used the pen tool and got this kind of action? It would have had to add a bunch of extra nodes if you drew it manually from point A to point B. If you did an auto trace I can see it doing something just like that especially if it was a pixelated image. If you can upload a sample file in AI format I would love to see it. (No copyright protected work please).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

No mention of which cutter you are using... Posting the file will help.as long as it is not copyright protected.  Is this the first time you are using this vinyl cutter?  First problem on the vinyl cutter.?  Not enough info.  

Im sorry I didnt elaborate, Im using a RedSail R Series cutter and ive been using it for 5 years now almost daily.  The cutter is not the issue here as it cuts whats it sees obviously however the AI diagonal lines appears to be really jacked up at this angle for some reason.  I used a pen tool doing nothing more than going from one anchor point to another.  Ive made countless files the same way but never had any issues.  I took this very same file and changed the angle of the lean and the diagonal lines did get better however I shouldnt have to do that.  I attached a couple clippings of some areas where the diagonal lines appear wavey if you take a closer look.  

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 8.47.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 8.47.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 8.46.51 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All you are seeing there is the screen resolution. The actual line is straight between the two nodes but the resolution of the screen cannot show you a true line because screens use pixels just like raster images. If it's not cutting straight then you have something else going on.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

All you are seeing there is the screen resolution. The actual line is straight between the two nodes but the resolution of the screen cannot show you a true line because screens use pixels just like raster images. If it's not cutting straight then you have something else going on.  

That’s what I thought however the cutter replicates those exact lines which is just weird.  I’ve been cutting vinyl for about 6 yeas and I’ve made and cut countless designs, this is the first time something like this has come up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now