Sign in to follow this  
Topper

Dirt Bike Template KTM 250sx

Anyone happen to have a template for a 2018 KTM 250 SX ? I have a customer who would like a custom made decal kit for his dirt bike. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Do not have any help for you on the template. They are possibly out there for purchase somewhere or you make have to make one. If you have never done a bike before you might take notice that the plastic is resistant to normal vinyl. It's sort of slick or oily they call it "low energy plastic" or just low energy surface. It's an interesting subject to research. They make some good stuff that does stick but most I saw when I was looking was for print work. If you print then you probably already know all that and I'm wasting your time. I have built numbers and had them stick but anything on a tank or probably the fenders are going to be suspect. Signage can be flame treated and then covered with a large piece sort of as a base and you could pull that off on a number plate. Don't think I would be comfortable torching a number plate to tell the truth. 

Wow,  had no idea. Thanks for the info I will have to research this low energy plastic. 

• Like 1

Wildgoose, do they use that same plastic finish on atvs?  My wife had an Arctic cat that wasn't a problem, but everything would fall off my Polaris after a month.  We don't 4-wheel anymore, but have lots of friends who do, and they've talked about getting some decals made.

Shane - you never know where that low energy plastic will rear it's head - my first experience was with a new ATV for someone in town.  made the decal and it looked great - next morning most of them were on the garage floor where they fell off.  some kayaks are made with it and others are not - my daughters kayak has some decals that have been on 4 years but others won't stick 2 days.  with printing a convex type material works great on that but I am not aware of regular vinyl that sticks like that - and once people see thee price of convex they usually shy away

• Like 2

Yeah, this Plastic stuff is interesting. So do you think if I had the decals printed on 3m controltac ij180c it would work well with the low energy plastic?

1 minute ago, Topper said:

Yeah, this Plastic stuff is interesting. So do you think if I had the decals printed on 3m controltac ij180c it would work well with the low energy plastic?

not if it is low energy plastic - you will need a product like convex - or similar high tack product made for that - the ij180c would be like any other vinyl on that plastic and fall off

+1 on the convex- or you can look at substance vinyls. also add a heavy laminate - 12+ mil to finish it off for durability . 

Is the Oracle 951 any good for low energy plastics?  I'm trying to find a product with color options (I don't have a vinyl printer), but that also adheres to plastics (mostly in cars and small engine stuff).

not likely - all of the stuff I have seen for that is for the solvent and latex printers - like convex, substance makes a few - and 3m makes some - you could cover it with the printable film and then lay your vinyl on that base

2 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

not likely - all of the stuff I have seen for that is for the solvent and latex printers - like convex, substance makes a few - and 3m makes some - you could cover it with the printable film and then lay your vinyl on that base

Interesting idea.  I guess the only concern I have would be when I have individual small letters, but I guess I could stack the letters on top of each other.  Thanks!!!

I was thinking of covering the entire shield etc with one piece of convex and then adding your design - not putting it just under each letter - if need be after you have the piece for the plate cut cover that entire area with your color of choice for a background

6 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I was thinking of covering the entire shield etc with one piece of convex and then adding your design - not putting it just under each letter - if need be after you have the piece for the plate cut cover that entire area with your color of choice for a background

Eh... Not so sure that would work.  I am not just using this with dirtbikes, but with cars and other plastics.  Most of the time I do vinyl signs with individual letters or symbols.  I may just have to break down and buy a used printer from ebay.  Recently, I bought a back-lit sign so I could illuminate my address.  The actual area where the vinyl is applied, is plastic.  I need to be able to have space visible around the numbers for the backlighting.  I'm thinking the only way I can do that without the printer is using your idea, and cutting the individual characters out.  Thanks for your help!!

22 minutes ago, dirtbikeflyboy917 said:

Eh... Not so sure that would work.  I am not just using this with dirtbikes, but with cars and other plastics.  Most of the time I do vinyl signs with individual letters or symbols.  I may just have to break down and buy a used printer from ebay.  Recently, I bought a back-lit sign so I could illuminate my address.  The actual area where the vinyl is applied, is plastic.  I need to be able to have space visible around the numbers for the backlighting.  I'm thinking the only way I can do that without the printer is using your idea, and cutting the individual characters out.  Thanks for your help!!

cars and plastic signs do not use low energy plastics - my reference was for the atv/motorbike market that does - for a back lit sign you should be using a translucent vinyl so the light shows thru (even trickier with printed to show properly) .  if you want a solvent set up I can hook you up with a 30" roland,  extra ink, laminator, vinyl for $8K located here in michigan :) 

On 7/26/2018 at 8:46 PM, Dakotagrafx said:

cars and plastic signs do not use low energy plastics - my reference was for the atv/motorbike market that does - for a back lit sign you should be using a translucent vinyl so the light shows thru (even trickier with printed to show properly) .  if you want a solvent set up I can hook you up with a 30" roland,  extra ink, laminator, vinyl for $8K located here in michigan :) 

Thanks for the information (and offer).  I'll keep it in mind, but for now, I'm really not interested in spending that much money.

Thanks!

you will find that to print the graphics you are trying to do that is actually a deal - you will need an eco solvent printer or latex printer . . .

On 7/28/2018 at 10:38 AM, Dakotagrafx said:

you will find that to print the graphics you are trying to do that is actually a deal - you will need an eco solvent printer or latex printer . . .

At this time, I'm just not ready to spend that much money.  If I change my mind, I'll PM you.  Thanks a lot for your offer!