Sign in to follow this  
christina1105

Affordable cutter with perforated cutting

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a new cutter with the perforated cutting feature. Currently, I'm looking at

• Roland GS-24
  • Graphtec CE6000 Plus
  • SummaCut D75

Some additional details:

• I'll be making 15" decals
  • I'll probably need to slit from 51" - 54" rolls

From where I'm located, the Roland is the cheapest option. I'm still new at the business so I'd like to find the most affordable vinyl cutter with perforated cutting feature.

Thank you!

what type of special cutting materials?    Go with a Graphtec and don't look back..  Plenty of Graphtec owners on here.  And right Now a $100 rebate on The CE6000-60.  Plus Over  $1000 in FREE software that is like Flexisign Pro   It is for Windows.   I have had my Graphtec  10 years.  , never a problem.  You will  need to use a cutting mat  for Graphtec CE6000, to put your vinyl on or you will tear up your cutting strip.   I don't know anything about the Roland or Summa, as to whether they do perf cut. 

Thanks for the reply but if I need to use a cutting mat for Graphtec, it's out of the question.

The material isn't that special I guess. Just some prelaminated vinyl.

You would have to jump up to the Graphtec FC 8600  to be able to perf cut without the cutting mat.. It has 2 places to put the blade holder. In the front position, the blade is over a special  groove in the vinyl cutter and not over the cutting strip.So no damage.   I don't know how easy the laminated would be if there is any design your trying to cut.  But the FC unit would have plenty of force to do it.   I have an older FC.. 

Someone with a CE6000-60 plus would have to chime in as to whether they have upgraded those cutters with a cutting groove or not now. 

perf cut.JPG

• Like 1

Ok  that's all I know,  you would have to go read the specs on the other 2 machines.  I don't think they have grooves to perf cut.  Only with a cutting mat.   The FC unit is the only cutter that I know that has the cutting groove. 

I just gave them a call and it looks like Roland GS-24 and Graphtec CE6000 Plus don't have the extra grooves. They have perforation cutting in the features list but no extra grooves <_<

I don't know about the others but the D75 does cut it on the cutting strip so if you are planning to do this it would be best if it was a dedicated cutter following a print machine and not really bouncing back and forth because you will be gradually cutting a groove into your cutting strip that will cause issues with regular vinyl work. I have the Summa and don't do any print work so have never messed with the "kiss cut" feature.  I WILL say this though, as accurate as the Summa is you can dial in the pressure of the deeper cut independently and probably not quite cut all the way through the the carrier but it will take some practice. I have had my machine a number of years and have never had to replace the cutting strip. Replacement strips are not expensive but I don't really want to deal with it if I can avoid it. On another note if you ARE cutting printed work the Optical scan on the Summa called "OPUS" is supposed to be the best and I believe I read somewhere was actually the first optical recognition system. Summa's aren't cheap and the dealership system in the US os a little weird but man what a freakin awesome machine.  If you compare the D75 (or larger) with a comparable FC you will see the value. They are equal or superior in every spec except total downforce. If you need more downforce you have to step up to a true tangential model which then jumps the price a ways.