Whhhyyyyy? My windows pc died and had to buy a new computer on the fly. Not thinking ahead I decided to buy a IMac desktop which I love. I return to my vinyl cutting business after a month vacation and realize that Vinylmaster is not compatible unless running boot camp. Had I known this I wouldn’t have bought a mac... my fault I know..... 

does anyone know how hard it is to install boot camp and do I need to purchase a windows code to run it?

You're posting in Graphtec - so you have one. Graphtec has their own software that will run on Mac. As long as you have your Graphtec Serial Number,  you can download their free software, which is quite powerful.

---------

It's not hard to do a boot camp partition, but if want to run Windows within Mac, then you'll need either Fusion or Parallels. Either option requires you buy their software. Boot camp will either run Mac or Windows, but not both simultaneously. Regardless of how you want to install/run Windows, you would need a license.

I'm on a MacPro, running Parallels with Windows 7. I have two cutters (LP 24 & Graphtec CE6000). I can run my Graphtec from either Mac or Window, but my LP is Windows only.

Thankyou. I will look at Graphtec software... I was just partial to my vinylmaster... lol 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dansell said:

Thankyou. I will look at Graphtec software... I was just partial to my vinylmaster... lol 

Totally understand. I'm still attached to SignBlazer - one of the reasons why I run Windows on my Mac :D

The software for the Mac on the Graphtec site  does not need a serial number just download it from Graphtec  site...The Graphtec Pro Studio that you need the serial number for, is for Windows only.   Quite a few of us on here just buy older Windows  laptops for our vinyl cutters.  Most cost under $100  Free ship.  I still run on an old XP  laptop.  You don't need a fancy computer to run a vinyl cutter.   

• Like 1

Thanks MZ Skeeter - I could get a cheap computer - I was just trying to mainstream my production time - I could probably cut from illustrator directly - I just had everything set up in VM with the most used designs and their sizes lol - I don't do change well!!! LOL. 

Maybe figure which is cheapest..  A cheap laptop and another copy of Vinyl Master.Cut.  Or the other way on the mac.  Always best to have a back up computer.  I keep several.  Look, yours just died.  And you had to run and get another. 

Also the Graphtec Pro Studio is very high dollar software that is FREE as long as you have A CE6000 or higher Graphtec.   It is Flexisign Pro without printing feature,  Over $1000 software.   Well worth it to have Windows. 

Thanks - I will have to look into it - I do have the Graphtec CE6000 and absolutely love it and I have had several cutters and this is by far the cream of the crop! Just wish the Graphtec Pro was available for Mac. Maybe someday! lol

32 minutes ago, dansell said:

Thanks - I will have to look into it - I do have the Graphtec CE6000 and absolutely love it and I have had several cutters and this is by far the cream of the crop! Just wish the Graphtec Pro was available for Mac. Maybe someday! lol

flexi used to have a mac product back in the ver.8.5 days but pretty sure they dropped all support after that version - we are now up to ver 12 which is what the gps is 

I'm just being stubborn by not wanting to learn a new software! I had everything set up to just click and cut - It's a good problem to have - I'm grateful the for the cutter and the work. I'll quit my bitchin and suck it up! LOL

• Haha 1

oh and for the record most of the old timers bitch and moan from time to time too - so that is part of the environment - we like discussion and no one way is the only or best way to do things..    I am getting a cheap super small desktop in this week to add a sdd and see how that works - it shows similar specs to my current one but will use less power, less fans, no hard drive spinning 24/7 most of the year - it is an experiment - and relatively cheap.  will see how it goes

• Like 1

Although I have never ran it there are several who use bootcamp or parallels to run a windows environment on their mac. There could be some glitch effects there, couldn't tell you. I actuall have a secondary laptop that I do my books on and hook to the cutter. That works great for me so I can be letting the cutter run while I work on something else at my iMac. 

Dakota - I bought a couple used business laptops for two of my girls at college and had the SSD put in them. All I can say it HOLY #$%@#&*?"~!#!!!! I am now considering going to the guy and having him clone my windows 7 laptop I cut from and dropping a SSD in it too. He put two identical laptops side by side and did a cold start comparison and I was BLOWN away. Same specs just one had a standard HD and the other same size of SSD. Crazy stuff and the girls tell me they get great battery life which is the other big pro. 

• Like 1

If you're comfortable with swapping hard drives, cloning a drive is actually pretty easy with the program CloneZilla.

• Like 2