As you can see the file above (haumana) has tons of gaps.  It is cutting exactly what you are sending it.. DXF files are for CNC   autocad.    Do the files in inkscape  and save as .eps  Then cut them. Let us know how that turns out.  Also the file is probably too large for the memory of the MH cutter, which has very little memory.  We always tell new buyers to not buy that cutter.  Many known problems.  Anything above it is better. 

• Like 1

Here it is in .eps  - as it opened fine with no gaps for me.  it is still huge   file removed as it appears to be potentially copyrighted

What Skeeter said about the memory on the mh is true as it has the least memory of any cutter - - - did the hawaiian flower I posted cut ok?  simple design for a test.

Skeeter will the keyspan help it handle those large files better and feed the plotter the data at a better rate?

Good morning, I changed Geddes the format of the file and even used the one @Dakotagrafx  sent and still doesn't do it right... The flower worked out great. Would a 34" SC2 vinyl cutter be a better choice? 

IMG_20180416_100700.jpg

IMG_20180416_100705.jpg

Ok here's an optimistic update!!! Started fresh, re-did vectorizing, saved as .eps, used the pen BUT had to set offset at .25... It finally closed the cuts, it finally completed a loop, it finally looks like something good lol. Now I had to put a small piece of paper in the blade holding arm to keep it from leaning. 

IMG_20180416_113007.jpg

Offset is 0 with a pen..   You use OVERCUT to close gaps..

Even after you vector a design, you need to zoom it up real big on wireframe and look at the design,  most designs need node editing, to make them good for vinyl cutting.  Until you do that, you don't know if the design has problems before cutting it. 

i tried a "0" with the pen and went up to "6.00" on the overcut, I went all the way up to 10.00... it still leaves a gap between start and finish. The only thing so far that has closed it is the offset. 

Did you zoom this design up on wireframe as I mentioned above? and made sure the design is perfect to cut.? If you send trash, to your cutter, you will get trash out.  You must look all over the design, after you vector it.   Offset is for sharp corners.  The pen does not drag, It stays in the same place.  Pen is 0    Offset is for blade.  A blade drags and turns.   Call support,  They are on Pacific time.  

Understand that offset is a setting that determines housing a cutter handles corners because the blades tip actually lag behind the actual center of the blades core.  Adjusting offset for anything other than making square corners just causes more problems.  I have no idea why the overcut makes no difference in your outcome.   If your business is dependent on your plotter being reliable I would seriously look at a graphtec.  If it is more of a hobby business than maybe a sc or Titan would do but not sure with that huge file.   Most vector files con in at a Rand of under 100 kB not 1.2 gb

@MZ SKEETER I did zoom in to the parts where it showed gaps on paper, no gaps in the wireframe at all. Everything is connected in every spot. I did contact support and was with them for over 2 hours, never once did the person on the phone mention overcut, offset, or try to redo the image to make it smaller. 

@Dakotagrafx I am starting to believe that the arm being tilted is the reason for the gaps, maybe thats the reason why i have to adjust the offset? I have been battling with this thing all morning and I finally got a good cut on a file. I was able to get the file from 1.2 gb down to 122 KB. It finally completed a shape in one pass, instead of doing half, starting another one and only completing half of it and then coming back for the other half of the first one it started. Unfortunately at this moment I cannot afford something as nice as a graphtec. Eventually in the future I will. It just amazes me that something as small as a silhouette is able to do it flawlessly, but this is giving me so much trouble. There is a specific set of patterns that i cut, I honestly only have no more than 10 patterns that i cut on a constant basis. This one being one of them. 

This cutter is a bottom of the barrel cutter, which we tell people not to buy.  It has known memory and static problems,  A bottom of the barrel cutter is not a good choice for a business.   

Are you absolutely sure that the white wheels of the carriage head are firmly down in the track?  They come out a lot when shipping. 

@MZ SKEETER I completely agree! at the time of buying this we had $500 for a budget. We took two weeks comparing ones that we could afford, as well as the ones that came with package deals, like the MH cutter. We found many, and i mean many good reviews on this cutter. So much that one person went to say it was a "workhorse." Of course as with everything we found bad reviews but nothing bad enough. It was my impression that if a small silhouette could do it, anything could do it. I never would of imagined this much problems with it. 

That Silhouette is made by Graphtec.  Top of the line brand...  I own a Graphtec and many of the old timers on here do. .  Not some cheap Chinese company.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I own a Graphtec and many of the old timers on here do.

As a Graphtec owner I was going to take offense to that old timer thing.

Then I realized I are one!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bet I am older than you,,  I can't think of anyone on here really active anymore,  older than me.   Maybe 1,  not sure of Arty's age. 

I am totally fine with that.

Don't want to know, don't want to ask.

Sticking with younger! LOL

I am good with calling you both great aunt skeeter and great uncle Mike :)   - - - but I no longer get called "the kid" either

• Like 1

see all those hooks on your corners - that is from using the wrong offset . . . if that is acceptable to you more power to you

temp.jpg

@Dakotagrafx no its not. But that was the closest I could get it. I am returning this one and going to feel the SC2. I will keep all of you posted. What's a good program to use aside from VM? I want to thank all of you for your help. This a great forum with a plethora of info, and you guys have made it a good experience. I plan to keep searching for better programs to hopefully achieve a good result when the new cutter arrives. 

IMG_20180416_144607.jpg

• Like 1

Vinyl Master is a VERY good program...All cutting designing/software have a learning curve?  Many software also have higher levels of features, like Vinyl Master. that you can upgrade to for a fee.   

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I am good with calling you both great aunt skeeter and great uncle Mike :)   - - - but I no longer get called "the kid" either

No problem there "young pup" Or would you prefer "junior"?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I bet I am older than you,,  I can't think of anyone on here really active anymore,  older than me.   Maybe 1,  not sure of Arty's age. 

I'll admit it, I am an old fart. Just turned 71 yesterday, but going on 27 LOL

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.