KDM_Freak

Microsoft sureface pro (latest model)

Hey guys it’s me again .. Mike 

Im currently doing research & the more and more I read I feel like I’d like to make the switch from Mac user to Microsoft.. will be ruff at first since I have not used it in 7+ years, but from what I’m getting out of a lot of this is it’s much easier and programs collaborat a heck of a lot better. All said and done I’m looking into graphtech & now I hear a lot of people have a separate computer for there machines so that’s what I’m planning because I do love my Mac for travel and all. Will these new surface pros work because I believe it’s considered a tablet ?? I will attach a link for one maybe someone can help me out or point me into a computer ( rather it be a laptop then desktop) you guys always come in clutch and I appreciate everything and everyone in advance!! 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/product/8NKT9WTTRBJK/H3CS?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

no idea on the surface pro but most of us with dedicated computers for cutting have the 60-$100 variety - it doesn't take much to run a cutting program and plotter and keeping them off the web means little chance of virus so on mine no virus software to slow it down either.

Designs can still be done on the mac since you are comfortable with that

• Thanks 1

You don't need a fancy new computer to run a vinyl cutter, or a Graphtec.  I have been using old  Toshiba laptops  (2006)  with XP  for 12 years.  You can still pick up  great used computers on Ebay for $75.00  free ship.  Look around.   Or maybe a cheap desktop.  

7 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

You don't need a fancy new computer to run a vinyl cutter, or a Graphtec.  I have been using old  Toshiba laptops  (2006)  with XP  for 12 years.  You can still pick up  great used computers on Ebay for $75.00  free ship.  Look around.   Or maybe a cheap desktop.  

Wow ok didn’t know that .. 12 years that’s freaking awesome! I just always worry about the updates and this and that but like one of you guys said on another post ... if the machine is cutting why try and fix something that’s not broke.. 

if not connected to the internet security updates really are not important

4 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

if not connected to the internet security updates really are not important

Makes sense now so most people don’t connect to internet & if they need to they have another device to do that to preserve the cutter designated computer. 

personally I have my design computer - but it is very robust for my printing end of the business - the cutter computer is probably 7-8 yrs old not connected to the internet (I transfer files on a thumb drive) - and my theory always was the cutter computer will not be going down from a virus etc if not connected.  virus software slows any computer down so that one not connected has not had virus software on it for many many years.  it just sits there chugging along, seldom shut down and ready to rock with all of my regular designs already on it.  The one time we had a hardware failure I just brought the cutter to the main computer to do the cutting for the week till parts came in.  I figure 1 failure in all that time was not bad.

• Like 1

Before going Mac, the only computer I had for cutting was a Sony laptop. I couldn't fit the cutter in the same room as my desktop, so I had not choice but to go laptop. Even though I've retired that laptop a while ago, I'm confident that if I fire it up and connect it, it will still doing its job.

One of the pro's of going Windows is that Inkscape is so much easier to use in a PC environment over Mac, and Sign Blazer is free for PC.

• Thanks 1

I am connected to internet,   but  because  old laptops are cheap.   i have a couple spares, all ready to set in plug cutter in and go.    I transfer my newer files thru email to myself.  and keep extra files in my email drafts on Hotmail.    I have Flexidesigner 10.5 up on a 17" laptop.   I cut on a 15" laptops,  No problem transferring files. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I am connected to internet,   but  because  old laptops are cheap.   i have a couple spares, all ready to set in plug cutter in and go.    I transfer my newer files thru email to myself.  and keep extra files in my email drafts on Hotmail.    I have Flexidesigner 10.5 up on a 17" laptop.   I cut on a 15" laptops,  No problem transferring files. 

Skeeter you could also use dropbox to share between the computers since you are connected.