Sign in to follow this  
julian keller

Just starting out

So i have been using an OOOOLLLLDDDDD Cricut "baby Bug"6x12, the very first one they started making and I am still able to use it with SCAL. I have been making a few decals for people and want to step up a bit as I see a growth/extra income opportunity.  

I want to start doing T-Shirts so that mean I will also need to get a heat press and I will also want to do contour cutting for full color decals/stickers. Mugs and stuff will come later when i get going good, I do work a full time job that I cannot leave yet. Anyway, I am wanting to do Dri-Fit shirts but that might have to be down the road from what I have been researching but I think I might have a good start with the running groups my wife is in. I will also be selling at craft shows as I do with some of my woodworking and photography stuff.

I have been looking at the Titan2, LP3, Titan 3, and others but can't seem to get the price where I want with what I want to do. I have been looking till my eyes feel like sand paper and have been up for about 30 hours so far this last session, with a total time of 2 weeks reading and watching videos every day/night.

A little advice would be very much appreciated. The MABFW(Maximum Allowable Budget From Wife) is $1000 to get started.  I have a small room to house this in along with 2 computers with 3 monitors each, A lazer printer, My reloading stuff, a portable AC, an electronic drum set(son's), and this is in a maybe 12x10 room?  What can you suggest?

Also does UScutter ever do free shipping?

Welcome from Idaho

If that is your total budget then just put the contour cut and servo motors out of your head for the time being. They are nice but not a must have. I would suggest probably the SC2 cutter and the swing press (not the multi-function one). You will be able to do dry-fit with Siser Stretch HTV. I started out with similar equipment and it has frown considerably. You will probably find like I did that there are only a certain amount of people looking for a vinyl decal whereas almost everyone want's a tee shirt. 

If you find the need to do full color work you can order plastisol transfers from someone like F&M Experssions or similar without a need to go deep into an investment. 

23 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

Welcome from Idaho

If that is your total budget then just put the contour cut and servo motors out of your head for the time being. They are nice but not a must have. I would suggest probably the SC2 cutter and the swing press (not the multi-function one). You will be able to do dry-fit with Siser Stretch HTV. I started out with similar equipment and it has frown considerably. You will probably find like I did that there are only a certain amount of people looking for a vinyl decal whereas almost everyone want's a tee shirt. 

If you find the need to do full color work you can order plastisol transfers from someone like F&M Experssions or similar without a need to go deep into an investment. 

Thanks for the quick response!  So would you recommend the SC2 over the LP3?  This is what I had in my cart already The cutter is the 34" with stand:

shop idea.JPG

I think I'd go with

https://www.uscutter.com/34in-SC2-Vinyl-Cutter 

It's on sale. I have a premium cutter ($3600 Summa) with an optical eye and I have used it a couple times. If you have a real printer then ok it would be used more but if you are that geared up then you will want something that has servo motors anyway. Just one mans opinion, your mileage may vary. When I cut things like JPSS for shirts I do it with an exacto. Contour cutting requires a decent amount of open space around the registration marks and unless you are doing mass quantities it's not a normal application for a home based operation. 

6 minutes ago, haumana said:

What about his setup? It's on sale.

https://www.uscutter.com/28-inch-Titan-Plus-Free-Clamshell

Comes with a heat press
Has a 2-year warranty over a 1-year
Comes with stand
Is PC/Mac compatible

And as many others have suggested to me - buy the best cutter you can within your budget.

Good deal...leaves extra cash for HTV supplies, extra blades.... etc.

• Like 1

OOoooo, I forgot to mention. Do yourself (and your wife) a favor, buy a 60-degree Clean Cut Blade!   Don't bother with the cheap junk off of eBay, do the real deal!  It'll make a WORLD of difference!!

• Like 1

Oh I have read about the CCB and have that also! I was looking at what was posted, the 34" SC2 and the titan 28". I know I should get the best I can buy but looking at the Titan that Haumana posted and the SC2 that WG posted, I don't see that much difference except size and I can add an extra 1 year to the SC2 and still be less.  I have the 15x15 swing arm and it looks about the same as the transfora.

So it comes down to this now, Is the titan 28" worth the extra $70 over the SC2?  I am thinking no because of the ability to cut larger if/when needed.

the titan is a servo like the sc2 but let me qualify that I have not tested the sc2 - the titan has a great usb chipset like the top brands and if you go titan2 then you get the servo motor.  the plotter is the heart of your operation and the last place you want to skimp and the reason I spent 3 years working my way up to the graphtec . . . started with a p-cut (no longer offered) , had a 50" mh (way too big to weed, put tape on and apply) , copam, no longer offered) before moving up to the graphtec and rolands - I have had about 8+ graphtecs and 4+ rolands - the roland finds registration marks better than any other cutter but nothing compares to a graphtec for find detail and reliability.   now for WG I will justify that statement too that I have never had a Summa like him . . . .   Love my graphtecs and if you check what the vast majority of the old timers have it is graphtec.  it is just hard to start there so most of us worked out way up letting the lower cutters make the money for the upgrades

If I had to choose, I'd still go with the Titan, these would be my reasons:

- I cut reflective every so often
- I have never cut laminate, but if I ever got into color printing with laminate, I will have the option to do so
- I like that I would be able to option a 3-year for warranty
- It's PC/Mac friendly, so in the event I want to resell it to upgrade to a Graphtec, there are more people I can sell it to :D
- I originally started on a LP 24" and have only needed to outsource a job once (in over 11 years of ownership), due to size limit of my machine.
    that being said, even if I had a 34" cutter, that still would not have been big enough, and I'd still farm it out someone else. I don't even want to stock vinyl bigger than the Oracal 15" stuff ...
   and never mind the weeding and taping of something large :(

If you'll never need to cut reflective or laminate, have the need to do a job longer 12', will only use a PC, or care about a 3rd year for warranty, then I think you've talked yourself into an SC. You can use the $70 you saved and buy some HTV and Clean Cut Blades.

Well after talking to an acquaintance, I will be needing to cut a thin HTV reflective for shirts. He wants to see a sample of one and if he likes it he wants to order 50 of them, that would  cover the cost of the machine already not to mention I am sure I can talk him into buying other shirts made with foil but not as big of an order.

So the TITAN combo that you, haumana, posted is the one I am gonna get for now.

Thank you everyone for the information! It helped a ton!

• Like 2

Congrats! I know selecting the right cutter is not an easy decision. It was one that I was faced with when buying my 24" LP years back, and again earlier this year when I decided to finally upgrade to a Graphtec. My LP was and is still a good machine and has paid for itself many times over, and I have no doubt that your Titan will do the same too.

I don't think there really is a wrong decision about choosing cutter, although I'm sure there are some really, really cheap junk out there - the main thing is that you asked questions first, gathered as much info as  you could and are getting one! Hard to make money on it if don't load one up in the shopping cart and pull the trigger! And whenever you have questions, the forum is here to do its best to guide you. I know when I started down this path, I asked a LOT of questions ... I still do. Hahaha.

1 hour ago, haumana said:

Congrats! I know selecting the right cutter is not an easy decision. It was one that I was faced with when buying my 24" LP years back, and again earlier this year when I decided to finally upgrade to a Graphtec. My LP was and is still a good machine and has paid for itself many times over, and I have no doubt that your Titan will do the same too.

I don't think there really is a wrong decision about choosing cutter, although I'm sure there are some really, really cheap junk out there - the main thing is that you asked questions first, gathered as much info as  you could and are getting one! Hard to make money on it if don't load one up in the shopping cart and pull the trigger! And whenever you have questions, the forum is here to do its best to guide you. I know when I started down this path, I asked a LOT of questions ... I still do. Hahaha.

Yea there was just sooooo much info I was reading and video that I had an overload. I figured might as well ask before I make a bad mistake.  The first one I looked at was an ebay one, then a craigslist no name one, then an MH. I also spent a little bit and got some decent vinyl items and a ton of free samples so i can take a look at what I want to offer.

Now I have to hunt for a good place to get shirts. I would like local but I don't see any near tampa that offer them at a good price. I was looking at getting the softer feel ones that are light weight because it gets too dang hot down here for a heavy cotton tee. I would like about 4 colors from s-2xl but to find that mix is a pain.

I think you are making good informed decisions and you'll do well.  We see a lot of people who just jump in without even bothering to research AT ALL and they have all sort of regrets and buyers remorse. 

For shirts not sure what Florida business and tax laws are like but if you have a resellers license consider Sanmar as a wholesale source. They are probably the biggest overall option with lots and lots of choices and great prices. If no resellers permit you might look at Jiffyshirts. They don't always have to choices but offer pretty fair pricing on basic stuff. 

• Like 2

I will take a look at sanmar as I have to wait until monday to finish all the paperwork. looks like the online stuff is also using business hours...LOL..even computers need the weekends off with the Government