Sign in to follow this  
eprcvinyls

cutting vinyl with tranfer tape on already?

So mu buddy has been looking everywhere for someone to print his puzzle pieces he wanted for his truck in big sheets 24 by 8 foot long and hasnt had luck well he found a guy on ebay and he ordered it and when he got it seen its already got clear transfer tape on it. he said that is how his regulars like it. well he told the guy he was going to have it cut first. Will my cutter cut it with it being on there or will if even cut right with it? It looks like hes got some lines in it so im worried about it looking clean after it cuts it..

Told him he might end up just having to cut it by hand. that be a pain.. I guess I'm going to try a spare piece to see how it does.

it also isn't oracal not sure what it is, it has a silver backing what type of vinyl could it be?

If you're going to test cut, I'd recommend cutting it twice, rather than trying to get the blade to go with more force and deeper - that might be a little too much drag on the machine. That being said, for large pieces you need to cut twice, you run the chance of going, ever so slightly, off track a bit.

You buddy might be better off trying to find someone who specializes in vehicle wraps. They can print it up and wrap his vehicle.

3 hours ago, haumana said:

If you're going to test cut, I'd recommend cutting it twice, rather than trying to get the blade to go with more force and deeper - that might be a little too much drag on the machine. That being said, for large pieces you need to cut twice, you run the chance of going, ever so slightly, off track a bit.

You buddy might be better off trying to find someone who specializes in vehicle wraps. They can print it up and wrap his vehicle.

Thank you for the reply.. He doesn't want a wrap were just doing 3 different colors on the bed of his truck ive already cut the other colors this is the last of it.

That is some of the thickest Transfer tape I have ever seen.. the Vinyl is pretty thick itself.. I tried to cut it and i did the 2 cuts and it only cut into the tape not even into the vinyl at all I ended up taking the small piece I tried it on about 1 foot long by the 24 inches wide and i took the transfer tape off then try to cut it and it seemed to cut okay.. the tips of the design almost acted like they were tor more then a nice cut line but i got it weeded out. Not sure what he going to do, guess he could always just cut it out by hand.

Does anyone here do big auto graphics? do you ever put transfer tape on it? my buddy likes it w/o the tape on it. goes on wet and says its to hard to get the tape off and I myst agree cause the ones i have applied wet was kinda a pain to get the tape back off. but on lettering you kinda got to have the tape

lay knifeless tape on the truck = apply sheet, pull knifeless tape to cut design - remove excess

10 hours ago, eprcvinyls said:

Does anyone here do big auto graphics? do you ever put transfer tape on it? my buddy likes it w/o the tape on it. goes on wet and says its to hard to get the tape off and I myst agree cause the ones i have applied wet was kinda a pain to get the tape back off. but on lettering you kinda got to have the tape

Yes,  i  cut big auto graphics,  up to 27" W x 16 ft lL  and yes, I put transfer tape on it.  I use Main medium tack paper tape.  Never had a complaint.

16 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

lay knifeless tape on the truck = apply sheet, pull knifeless tape to cut design - remove excess

WOW I never knew anything like that was around I found a video that is pretty awesome. Thanks. Something else I now know about.

6 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Yes,  i  cut big auto graphics,  up to 27" W x 16 ft lL  and yes, I put transfer tape on it.  I use Main medium tack paper tape.  Never had a complaint.

Really, Do you let the Vinyl sit on the car for a while before peeling away the tape? I find that the Vinyl wants to lift up when trying to peel off the Tape

I don't do installs,  my business is online only, but yes, you have to make sure the decal is firmly on the vehicle first. it really shouldn't lift, if it is installed good.  You can spray the tape a little to loosen it up, before removing tape.  Maybe your tape is too tacky. Mine is medium tack.. And I only purchase Main brand.  I used to use R-tape,  but after I purchased a roll of Main tape years ago and liked it better.  I changed all of my sizes to Main brand

2 hours ago, eprcvinyls said:

WOW I never knew anything like that was around I found a video that is pretty awesome. Thanks. Something else I now know about.

Really, Do you let the Vinyl sit on the car for a while before peeling away the tape? I find that the Vinyl wants to lift up when trying to peel off the Tape

I thought I had mentioned it in your original thread when you started the project  

I would think so mfatty  - it cuts thru vinyl and laminate = it is like dental floss embedded in a carrier 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 10:42 AM, MZ SKEETER said:

I don't do installs,  my business is online only, but yes, you have to make sure the decal is firmly on the vehicle first. it really shouldn't lift, if it is installed good.  You can spray the tape a little to loosen it up, before removing tape.  Maybe your tape is too tacky. Mine is medium tack.. And I only purchase Main brand.  I used to use R-tape,  but after I purchased a roll of Main tape years ago and liked it better.  I changed all of my sizes to Main brand

Oh alright and I might be using to much liquid.

On 4/9/2018 at 12:46 PM, Dakotagrafx said:

I thought I had mentioned it in your original thread when you started the project  

You might have, I have read so much on here. and at one time. I look over some of it.

On 4/11/2018 at 6:48 PM, eprcvinyls said:

Oh alright and I might be using to much liquid.

You can always let the vinyl sit on the vehicle for a bit so the adhesive on the vinyl dries and the decal gets stuck to the vehicle. It rarely takes more than a minute or two, and if you wet the transfer tape and leave it for a couple minutes, it'll pull off a lot easier too.

3 hours ago, jmas said:

You can always let the vinyl sit on the vehicle for a bit so the adhesive on the vinyl dries and the decal gets stuck to the vehicle. It rarely takes more than a minute or two, and if you wet the transfer tape and leave it for a couple minutes, it'll pull off a lot easier too.

Thanks, I will try doing that next time.. Does the outside temp seem to matter? Seems like when its warm 60 and above they do better at least for me.

Yes it matters.!!   Vinyl is not flexible in cold weather, as well as the adhesive is brittle from the cold.   I tell my buyers 70-90 degrees.  If I put 60 they would try 50 degrees  LOL    I have seen ads for Rapid Tac 2 for lower temps. 

On 4/9/2018 at 4:22 PM, Dakotagrafx said:

I would think so mfatty  - it cuts thru vinyl and laminate = it is like dental floss embedded in a carrier 

I think I was thinking about clear transfer tape, I guess

On 4/12/2018 at 4:57 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

Yes it matters.!!   Vinyl is not flexible in cold weather, as well as the adhesive is brittle from the cold.   I tell my buyers 70-90 degrees.  If I put 60 they would try 50 degrees  LOL    I have seen ads for Rapid Tac 2 for lower temps. 

Yeah that is what i thought. I installed some on my truck today and it was warm 65-70 and it was pretty easy to get the tape off.

On 4/12/2018 at 10:12 PM, mfatty500 said:

I think I was thinking about clear transfer tape, I guess

never tried that as I avoid clear app tape for 95 percent of what I do - I know it does cut a lot harder as my rotary cutter cuts thru clear app tape ok with backing paper but just the clear tape itself it will have difficulty cutting..   with that said trying to apply any graphic to a compound curve like on a truck bed will be darn near impossible from my experience.  bed stripes on a ram bed (bumblebee stripe) taught me a lot when I did my last truck . .  . No way that would have worked with clear

• Like 1