JLS Design

New Cutter Time

19 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

You set up like you would with any cutter...It's just a more accurate cutter.. Hopefully you learned the basics with your old cutter.  There are not any settings set in stone for any cutter.  But with the Graphtec you don't have to tinker to get it to cut correctly every job.   Pretty much set and forget.. The only thing I change is speed once in a while.   You start with the correct blade depth. That is how you set force, just like you would on your old cutter. The Graphtec has more features, yes,  but easy to learn, read your user manual. Starting now. 

Awesome thanks MZ SKEETER.  I haven't had a chance to read the manual yet, but it's on this list of things to do!  UPS Says I should have the new cutter by Friday!  Which is really quick since I only ordered it the other day!

13 hours ago, bikemike said:

Exactly, I don't cut reflective, but everything else cuts great without changing anything. Set the blade by Skeeter specs and you should be good to go.

I do not cut fast, I think after the design I need a beer break, so sit back and watch. Still done before the beer, but a break anyway.

I've been asked to cut reflective once, once I told them the cost of the vinyl alone they backed out...LOL.  I'm going to be researching the forums here in the next day or so, so hopefully I'll find Skeeters blade specs!  I'm pretty pumped about getting this new cutter.  I really liked the Laserpoint 2 I started with, but the memory issue got old real quick, causing more work for me, and a lot of wasted material.

From our side of the US most items come from Memphis,  usually 2 days for me also. if you order before cut off time.  Congrats on a great choice..  Blade depth instructions are also  listed under Forum,   Instructional Contributions  under BLADE DEPTH    4th topic down. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

From our side of the US most items come from Memphis,  usually 2 days for me also. if you order before cut off time.  Congrats on a great choice..  Blade depth instructions are also  listed under Forum,   Instructional Contributions  under BLADE DEPTH    4th topic down. 

Thank you!  I'll take a look there tonight, and read up on the blade depth.

once you use it you will think it is better than christmas - it makes life so much easier after a value cutter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well...so much for being excited to have a new cutter.

I try to go into the cutting plotter controller, and it will not let me.

I get the "No compatible driver was found. Please install a compatible driver.

First time I get it, follow the instructions, and go to the website, and download and install new driver as directed.

Restart the computer...and still getting the same error message.

I've been trying to get this thing to work, watching videos, and still cannot figure out why I get this error.

Suggestions??

6 minutes ago, JLS Design said:

Well...so much for being excited to have a new cutter.

I try to go into the cutting plotter controller, and it will not let me.

I get the "No compatible driver was found. Please install a compatible driver.

First time I get it, follow the instructions, and go to the website, and download and install new driver as directed.

Restart the computer...and still getting the same error message.

I've been trying to get this thing to work, watching videos, and still cannot figure out why I get this error.

Suggestions??

So everything else is working and cutting when you get that message?

I haven't even gotten a chance to try the cutter.

Following the instructions, I'm to go into the controller to set up a test cut...which it will not let me do.

If I remember correctly, you need the cutter unplugged from the computer until after the driver is installed????

Just now, bikemike said:

If I remember correctly, you need the cutter unplugged from the computer until after the driver is installed????

Yep, did that first.

Then went to the Graphtec site, and installed the way they recommended too...

Still same error.

I just tried downloading it to my design computer (that does not have the plotter attached) and got the same message

I think on my cutter menu.  I have PROGRAM selected..    And hopefully you are using Windows OS..   HP-GL  as language.   

Never had a problem  installing on 3 cutters.   I use it all the time..  But I am not home right now.    The cutter has to be on and READY to cut the order, for it to work.  Vinyl loaded everything.    Mine runs on condition 9,  That is the condition assigned to it.   Also after you get it up , on the left side are 2 dots to click,  It has to be on the Cutting Plotter controller. program.  Or else,  it will be only controlled from the cutter menu. 

Just now, MZ SKEETER said:

I think on my cutter menu.  I have PROGRAM selected..    And hopefully you are using Windows OS..   HP-GL  as language.   

Never had a problem  installing on 3 cutters.   I use it all the time..  But I am not home right now.    The cutter has to be on and ready to cut the order for it to work.  

Yep, Windows 10.  I do have HP-GL set, but I will double check that.

It's installed, as I did my test cut on the SCALP4, however there is another issue I'm having there.

Thanks for the tip MZ SKEETER.

with the graphtec no reason to use anything but the USB connection - very stable and all I have ever needed with them.

for now forget the cut controller - install your drivers  - install graphtec pro studio and cut away.

I am wondering if the cut controller is a problem with windows 10.  it is not necessary to have to cut as the force etc can be set on the plotter and it has a BIG display 

Just now, Dakotagrafx said:

with the graphtec no reason to use anything but the USB connection - very stable and all I have ever needed with them.

for now forget the cut controller - install your drivers  - install graphtec pro studio and cut away.

I am wondering if the cut controller is a problem with windows 10.  it is not necessary to have to cut as the force etc can be set on the plotter and it has a BIG display 

That's what I'm thinking.  I will probably just not worry about it for now, and maybe check for updates periodically.   I still need to get the Graphtec to cut on SCALP4 correctly, because I have repeat customers who order decals on a regular basis.  I really do not want to have to set up new files if I can avoid it.

SOOOOOO many decisions... LOL ... I got VinylMaster Cut also now.

sooo many problems over the years with scalp to mention - causing problems with cutters so I ditched it long ago.  as mentioned before you new cutter came with a private labeled flexi cloud worth around $2100 - much more robust than scalp and even vm and it is free to you as a graphtec owner.  export your files as .eps and import in your new software and you are good to go.   for history on the origin of Scalp google the lawsuit between procraft (makers of cricut) and sure cuts a lot.  there is a world of difference in softwares for plotters

Set up your cutter first,  driver and everything, before messing with the Controller. It will not work until the vinyl cutter is operating correctly..And sitting there ready to cut.   Test cuts are from the cutter it's self.right on the cutter.where it says  TEST..  I use Flexi software..  Works great and very user friendly.    That is what the Graphtec Pro Studio is.. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Mine is working on 10, so that ain't it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bikemike said:

Mine is working on 10, so that ain't it.

then maybe as skeeter said it is because the cutter is not detected .. . . no idea for sure

I will say this much.  The Graphtec Pro Studio is NICE!

I think I'll try and go into SCALP4, and export my file art to a SVG file.  GPS opens them pretty well, and I could still cut them as they need them.

@MZ SKEETER was right, VERY easy to use.  I'm pleasantly surprised and relieved at the same time. Once I get the hang of it a bit more, I'm certain to love it more.

• Like 1

Well, show us the stupid thing you cut just to play.

We all did it with the first graphtec.