JLS Design

New Cutter Time

Ok folks, it's time to upgrade my cutter.

I was thinking about upgrading to a Roland from the lasercut 2 that I have.

The Roland I was thinking about: https://www.uscutter.com/Roland-GS-24-CAMM-1-Vinyl-Cutter-Package-Deal

I know I do not want another budget cutter, and am looking forward to improving my equipment.

Any thoughts on this cutter, or is there one out there a bit better, in the same price range?  Also, most these cutters should work with the SCALP4 I'm running.  OR do I upgrade my program too while I'm at it?  I'm used to SCALP, but not necessarily married to it.

I'm just looking for some personal feed back on the equipment you have owned, and currently own, and why.

Thanks in advance for your insight!!

P.S., I was also looking at the Titan 3 as well  maybe...

The Graphtec CE6000-60 are also in that price range.  If you going to do a lot of small and detailed designs the Graphtecs are better and they have special going on with those   I have purchased 3 Graphtecs  and never a problem.     Also with the Graphtecs is a FREE Graphtec Studio Pro software.  worth over $1000.  Like a rebranded Flexisignpro without printing.  

https://www.uscutter.com/Graphtec-CE-6000-Vinyl-Cutter-Bundle

https://www.uscutter.com/Graphtec-CE-6000-Vinyl-Cutter-with-Included-HeatPress

• Like 2

the rolands find registration marks better than any other cutter if you plan on contour cutting, but nothing beats a graphtec for fine detailed work.  I've owned several of both and remain a hard core graphtec fan.  either will work with your scalp - I would chose the vinylmaster option so you have both programs - vinylmaster has much more capability to upgrade down the road and was designed as a software for vinyl plotters from the beginning.   if you check your current scalp you will find you have the graphtec and roland drivers available if it is current - if not I know the ce5000 drivers work with the ce6000 graphtecs and highly suspect the gx-24 drivers will run a gs-24.    
now the biggest benefit of a graphtec ce6000 is you can download free the graphtec pro studio software - it is a rebranded flexi pro (without the rip for wide format printing)  - no way you can buy flexi cheaper any other way

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

The Graphtec CE6000-60 are also in that price range.  If you going to do a lot of small and detailed designs the Graphtecs are better and they have special going on with those   I have purchased 3 Graphtecs  and never a problem.     Also with the Graphtecs is a FREE Graphtec Studio Pro software.  worth over $1000.  Like a rebranded Flexisignpro without printing.  

https://www.uscutter.com/Graphtec-CE-6000-Vinyl-Cutter-Bundle

https://www.uscutter.com/Graphtec-CE-6000-Vinyl-Cutter-with-Included-HeatPress

That is a good deal, and I've been wanting a different heat press.  I currently have a clam shell style.  or the software, I take it that is comes with the product?  I do not see it listed as one of the options to choose in the links you provided.

1 hour ago, Dakotagrafx said:

the rolands find registration marks better than any other cutter if you plan on contour cutting, but nothing beats a graphtec for fine detailed work.  I've owned several of both and remain a hard core graphtec fan.  either will work with your scalp - I would chose the vinylmaster option so you have both programs - vinylmaster has much more capability to upgrade down the road and was designed as a software for vinyl plotters from the beginning.   if you check your current scalp you will find you have the graphtec and roland drivers available if it is current - if not I know the ce5000 drivers work with the ce6000 graphtecs and highly suspect the gx-24 drivers will run a gs-24.    
now the biggest benefit of a graphtec ce6000 is you can download free the graphtec pro studio software - it is a rebranded flexi pro (without the rip for wide format printing)  - no way you can buy flexi cheaper any other way

I thought about the Vinylmaster program, I see a lot of members here using it.  You guys are persuading me to the graphtec with the free software talk...LOL

The software is downloaded directly from graphtec America site and will require the serial number of a new graphtec to activate it.

18 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

The software is downloaded directly from graphtec America site and will require the serial number of a new graphtec to activate it.

Ok. That's what I figured, but I didn't want to assume. 

6 hours ago, Go-C Graphics said:

With that software deal the winner is Graphtec.

Hands downs

Seriously leaning that way now! It's a really good deal...

Only downside I see is the media baskets for those are over $400!!  

May just have to make my own.

14 minutes ago, JLS Design said:

Seriously leaning that way now! It's a really good deal...

Only downside I see is the media baskets for those are over $400!!  

May just have to make my own.

There are a few DIY ones on here. Mine cost me about $15

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bikemike said:

There are a few DIY ones on here. Mine cost me about $15

Yeah, once I decide on the cutter, I'll be looking here for the DIY ones.

I'm fairly handy, so I should be able to figure it out.

Made my own,not hard with some flat stock and rods from Home Depot and some non static material the upholstery lady made from stuff they use in couch bottoms

We actually got some of the Pcut stands with media baskets that UScutter was closing out for about $15,,  and wire tied them to the inside of the legs of the Graphec.CE5000-60    My FC  came with the basket as standard. 

1 minute ago, MZ SKEETER said:

We actually got some of the Pcut stands with media baskets that UScutter was closing out for about $15,,  and wire tied them to the inside of the legs of the Graphec.CE5000-60    My FC  came with the basket as standard. 

wish I had bought more of those :)

21 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Mine had a cd with it but that was 3 years or so ago

3 minutes ago, mabscotthandyman said:

Mine had a cd with it but that was 3 years or so ago

dan, was that when they had studio?  for some reason I just learned about pro studio (the flexi version) during the last year or so

1 minute ago, Dakotagrafx said:

dan, was that when they had studio?  for some reason I just learned about pro studio (the flexi version) during the last year or so

Yes studio it search’s for upgrades but I don’t have my computer hooked to internet it may would upgrade to pro ?

31 minutes ago, mabscotthandyman said:

Yes studio it search’s for upgrades but I don’t have my computer hooked to internet it may would upgrade to pro ?

pro is a whole nother critter - you could go to the link above and add your cutter info and see if they will give it to you = I think they started with the ce6000's but what do you have to lose - all they can do is say no

• Thanks 1

Well I went with the Graphtec!  Hopefully should see it next week sometime too.

I'll be lurking the forum for pressure settings, and all that other fun stuff.

I assume there are different blade degrees as well.

Thank you all again for your input, it set my mind at ease when purchasing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You set up like you would with any cutter...It's just a more accurate cutter.. Hopefully you learned the basics with your old cutter.  There are not any settings set in stone for any cutter.  But with the Graphtec you don't have to tinker to get it to cut correctly every job.   Pretty much set and forget.. The only thing I change is speed once in a while.   You start with the correct blade depth. That is how you set force, just like you would on your old cutter. The Graphtec has more features, yes,  but easy to learn, read your user manual. Starting now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

You set up like you would with any cutter...It's just a more accurate cutter.. Hopefully you learned the basics with your old cutter.  There are not any settings set in stone for any cutter.  But with the Graphtec you don't have to tinker to get it to cut correctly every job.   Pretty much set and forget.. The only thing I change is speed once in a while.   You start with the correct blade depth. That is how you set force, just like you would on your old cutter. The Graphtec has more features, yes,  but easy to learn, read your user manual. Starting now. 

Exactly, I don't cut reflective, but everything else cuts great without changing anything. Set the blade by Skeeter specs and you should be good to go.

I do not cut fast, I think after the design I need a beer break, so sit back and watch. Still done before the beer, but a break anyway.

• Like 4