Vicky86

Lost and need your guys help!!

Recommended Posts

So recently I was asked to do a job that requires a little more than what I usually do! They are wanting white letters with red outline..And a red deer head followed by a white outline. I am completely lost as I always just do one color jobs. I am using the SCAL 3 software and working with a mac. You guys were able to help me last time please walk me through the steps with this issue. Picture is a rough draft of what I have. Thank you in advance!! 

15221181804241003635471.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2018 at 9:37 PM, Vicky86 said:

So recently I was asked to do a job that requires a little more than what I usually do! They are wanting white letters with red outline..And a red deer head followed by a white outline. I am completely lost as I always just do one color jobs. I am using the SCAL 3 software and working with a mac. You guys were able to help me last time please walk me through the steps with this issue. Picture is a rough draft of what I have. Thank you in advance!! 

15221181804241003635471.jpg

Ok this is the way I would do it on SCALP 4 but it's very similar to 3 also I am running it on windows.

Take the VENADO POWER select all of it 

right click

Select appearance

Select outline

Then decide what you would like for the amount of outline, then select the color which would be red, then click ok

Next select the deer head

Right click

Select appearance

Select outline

Decide what amount of outline you want select the color which would be white then click ok

Once you have that all done click the flip tab to reverse the design.

Load the white HTV

Select cut with cutter

Then on the top there's a box that says cut by color click it

Select the white color

Select cut

Once it's done 

Load the red in the cutter

Select cut with cutter

Select cut by color 

Select red

Select cut

Weed both designs and cut the VENADO POWER off of the bottom of the white. (Don't cut the individual letters out like the photo shows. It will be a bitch to align all those and keep them when you go to layer them)

Lay down the white outline of the deer head on to the garment for 2 second, pull the backer off. then over lay and align the red deer head along with outline of the words. Press for 2 seconds pull the backer off then align the VENADO POWER on top of the red. Again press for 2 seconds then pull the backer off and cover with a Teflon sheet or parchment paper and press the full amount of time. (This is a step that I have adapted, sI found if you leave the backers on it will leave little lines where they overlay onto the other graphics. But if you pull them all off and use the sheet it makes it look great with no lines) Then sit back and have a beer and let your mind absorb what you just did.... 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent description 88x. I learned to press mixed colors the same way.

I've just started using SCALP4 recently, but have much more experience for preparing graphics in Photoshop and Illustrator.

When combining multiple colors of an image with cut vinyl, is there a way in SCALP4 to prepare the colors to "trap" so there won't be a small keyline or separation showing the background fabric or material?

You need a small amount of the colors overlaying each other to solve this problem and haven't noticed anything in SCALP4 to fix this so I have been taking the extra step to prepare these images in Illustrator or Photoshop. I would really like to be able to take care of this in SCALP4.

Use my user logo as an example - where the red meets the black keyline border.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoatingArms said:

Excellent description 88x. I learned to press mixed colors the same way.

I've just started using SCALP4 recently, but have much more experience for preparing graphics in Photoshop and Illustrator.

When combining multiple colors of an image with cut vinyl, is there a way in SCALP4 to prepare the colors to "trap" so there won't be a small keyline or separation showing the background fabric or material?

You need a small amount of the colors overlaying each other to solve this problem and haven't noticed anything in SCALP4 to fix this so I have been taking the extra step to prepare these images in Illustrator or Photoshop. I would really like to be able to take care of this in SCALP4.

Use my user logo as an example - where the red meets the black keyline border.

If you are already handy with Illustrator I would build the file there and then just use SCALP as a cutting utility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I am doing but wanted to know if there was a way to do it in SCALP4.

Occasionally there is something that comes up that would be great if I could quickly fix it while I'm in SCALP4 rather that going back to the drawing board or fixing it with Illustrator.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

If you are already handy with Illustrator I would build the file there and then just use SCALP as a cutting utility. 

How do you make an outline in Illustrator wildgoose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CoatingArms said:

Excellent description 88x. I learned to press mixed colors the same way.

I've just started using SCALP4 recently, but have much more experience for preparing graphics in Photoshop and Illustrator.

When combining multiple colors of an image with cut vinyl, is there a way in SCALP4 to prepare the colors to "trap" so there won't be a small keyline or separation showing the background fabric or material?

You need a small amount of the colors overlaying each other to solve this problem and haven't noticed anything in SCALP4 to fix this so I have been taking the extra step to prepare these images in Illustrator or Photoshop. I would really like to be able to take care of this in SCALP4.

Use my user logo as an example - where the red meets the black keyline border.

In this case, it would be cut by color and just layer one on top of the other with no knock out. If it's more then 2 layers I will usually knock it out and then create a small outline of the knocked out part. Just to keep from fabric showing thru when things shrink up or move during the press.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 88x said:

Ok this is the way I would do it on SCALP 4 but it's very similar to 3 also I am running it on windows.

Take the VENADO POWER select all of it 

right click

Select appearance

Select outline

Then decide what you would like for the amount of outline, then select the color which would be red, then click ok

Next select the deer head

Right click

Select appearance

Select outline

Decide what amount of outline you want select the color which would be white then click ok

Once you have that all done click the flip tab to reverse the design.

Load the white HTV

Select cut with cutter

Then on the top there's a box that says cut by color click it

Select the white color

Select cut

Once it's done 

Load the red in the cutter

Select cut with cutter

Select cut by color 

Select red

Select cut

Weed both designs and cut the VENADO POWER off of the bottom of the white. (Don't cut the individual letters out like the photo shows. It will be a bitch to align all those and keep them when you go to layer them)

Lay down the white outline of the deer head on to the garment for 2 second, pull the backer off. then over lay and align the red deer head along with outline of the words. Press for 2 seconds pull the backer off then align the VENADO POWER on top of the red. Again press for 2 seconds then pull the backer off and cover with a Teflon sheet or parchment paper and press the full amount of time. (This is a step that I have adapted, sI found if you leave the backers on it will leave little lines where they overlay onto the other graphics. But if you pull them all off and use the sheet it makes it look great with no lines) Then sit back and have a beer and let your mind absorb what you just did.... 

Thank you!! I actually figured it out. However I did something totally differet lol. I added a shadow lawyer and just weeded. I will be trying this now! I do see that cut by color option :) you were very helpful! Thanks a lot!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Totallynutz said:

How do you make an outline in Illustrator wildgoose?

Depends on the final outcome you want.

If you want a layer behind the original (as in two layer stacked) you would do a path offset. Select the object you want to outline and go Object>Path>Offset Path and a pop up control box will open up and let you decide if you want rounded, mitered or beveled offset and some controls over those options as well as the distance you want to offset. In all the newer versions of AI you can preview the look and see if you like it before performing the action. When done this will place the offset path right behind the object you are working on. It is helpful to note that if you have multiple objects such as a string of text you might want to make the entire string one object by selecting them all and going Object>compound path>make. There are quick keys for almost all actions in Illustrator and if you look along the side in the pull down panels you will soon learn them (Comm+8 on mac) Working with a compound path all of your offset paths will already be welded to together. If you are not working in an offset path then any touching paths will need to be welded (called Unite in AI) 

If you want to create an outline look but not necessarily a full layered product such as a tee shirt graphic that might benefit from a lighter feel you can go a different route which is SUPER helpful and speedy for this application. Take your object and just give it some stroke then align the stroke to the outside rather than centered on the line. This gives the appearance exactly as the other method did and you can choose the same miter, rounded or beveled look as you did in the other way. Once you have adjusted the stroke to look like you want it then go Object>Expand Appearance and it will expand the outline and also do a very odd thing (that is the SUPER helpful and speedy part), it creates a new size of the original object and places it exactly centered within the outline which happens to work out rather nifty for HTV vinyl so that you can easily layer the outline over the lower color creating a two color look with less actual HTV on the shirt. I do this as often as is practicable because with HTV work it's nearly impossible to layer the other way and get consistent reveal (registration) all the way around due to the reaction of both the shirt and the HTV when the first pass of the heat press hit it. Using the outline method allows things to move around and still fits within the area of error created by the overlap. This is one of those little tips form the pro's that makes my life easier and I'm happy to pass it along. Of note: the outline option does not work as well with live text due to not being able to align the stroke to the outside except on converted text. AND if you mess this up you have a mess on your hands due to the changes AI made to your original object so it's a good idea to work on a copy of the original if this is something that is hard to re-build. You CAN work back through and save your old original but you have to actually delete the lower layer and release the compound path and delete the outline leaving the original inner parts and then all the insides of the letters are not punched out so you have to do all that again, it's bad so just make a copy and if it goes awry you haven't ruined your original. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now