Sign in to follow this  
Coach P

Sublimation smears.

I'm a total newbie.  I sublimated a mouse pad and a travel drinking tumbler.  Both of them got some ink smears sublimated on them.  Do I have to wait to take off paper or how long do I let the ink dry on the paper it was printed on before applying to product being made?

You definitely want to let the ink dry on the sublimation paper but that usually doesn't take all that long. You may be getting the smear when you lift your press. Are you using a cover sheet? 

• Like 1

betting like goose said transfers not tight during sublimation or not being removed quickly - the ink is continuing to sublimate (gas looking for something to adhere to) as long as it is hot.

@WildgooseOn the mouse pad I used a cover sheet.  Not on the tumbler.  I think on the mouse pad, I hear pressed it to get out moisture for 10 seconds and I put on the transfer.  I think that is when I got the smear.  

As for the tumbler, I'm guessing when i took off the paper is when it got smeared.   Is it best for me to set it to the side to cool then take off the paper or right when it comes off heat, take it off quick and not touching any other part of tumbler?

Thanks for you advice by the way.  I appreciate it.