Sign in to follow this  
twentythreemx

help for the new guy!

Hello,

So i've got a 15x15 transpro press... so far everything I have pressed and washed has came out with very wrinkled vinyl or mostly vinyl that is falling off.

Instructions were followed for the material. This was with easyweed stretch and some easyweed featherlight. Happened from samples they sent me and from some stuff purchased here, dont think it was bad material...

My first guess was pressure as the press does not have a gauge. However i started reading that using teflon sheets could act as a barrier too? But then others say they always use them and its fine, so..? Could using teflon sheets on all of them blocked some heat? Is that not recommended to use? Should I go longer if I use one? Im only using it to keep things clean and figured it was a good habit to get into. 

Or could I need more pressure? I'm really unsure how to fix it and very nervous to print anything else.

Unfortunately I sent out 35 shirts and am super scared that people will wash them once and be very unhappy - not looking forward to dealing with that. My fault for not doing some wash tests.. frown.gif

the only method i found to test was the dollar bill trick. i feel like my pressure is much higher than needed to keep a dollar bill in there. do i want to just barley keep it in there, or is way tighter better? Is there a better way to test?

Thanks for the advice! Not sure how to tackle this.

What materials are the shirts made of/ brands your using?

What temp is the machine set to and have you checked its temp gauge vs the actual temp of the pad?

How long are you pressing the vinyl for? 

I was doing everything do spec per the material.  Shirts were just cheap walmart multi packs, 100% cotton on these. Talked to siser and they seem confident that it sounds like not enough pressure.

When in doubt on the pressure go higher. I have never seen a failure from high pressure. You can squeeze out some of the glue and you will see it along the edges but I don't think this will cause a failure.  Get yourself an infrared thermo temp gun and check your platen in several spots. My bet is the temp is low. Even my $2000 Fusion was off far enough that it needed adjusted. The chinese heat presses are notorious for being off. 

If you are using a teflon sheet I usually add a second or two to the dwell time or go to the long side of the recommended like 12-15 seconds go 15. 

• Like 1