darcshadow

How is pressure controlled - mechanically

Another topic talking where the posters cutting head is not working got me wondering about cutting pressure. My understanding is a solenoid moves the cutter up and down, in my case it pulls the cutter up and gravity pulls it down.

Since solenoids are pretty much an on/off thing, how does the machine change the pressure of the cutting head on the vinyl? I mean, mechanically what is changing?

solenoids are electro magnets - more power to them more down force applied.  I knew 2 years of tv repair classes would come in handy 40 years later :)  - no tv's didn't have solenoids but it was part of the class on electonics and the 2 of us that took that part kind of showed off and did the modules for all 3 of the sections of the class and passed them all.   think it was bianary, tv and communications  - yeah I was always second to my best friend that it came natural to :/

IMO, current does both. Increased current in the down direction increases down force.

Duh, ok, makes sense. My experience with solenoids have always been an on/off or extend/retract thing. Didn't think about varying the power to them.