Anna Prints

HTV Help with Time/Temp and Effect

I've just added vinyl items (decals, tshirts, signage, etc.) to our business line, and have never done this before.  I've done as much You-tube and other miscellaneous reading as I could find, but have not run across this particular issue yet.

I have equipment from US Cutter and a separate digital thermometer to ensure the accuracy of the press.  I'm having issues with the Feather-light vinyl sticking to the tshirt after a wash. I pre-wash and dry all the shirts.  When I pressed the first test shirt at 105 for 15 sec, it tried to peel up with the carrier/liner.  So I started pressing at 320 for 15-20 seconds.  After a wash (inside out cold/warm) and dry normal, the numbers on the back (think sports jersey design on cotton tshirt) are wrinkled throughout and are peeling up on the edge.  I would be surprised if they made it through another couple washes. I also didn't thread the shirt when pressing front and back.

What am I doing wrong here?  If you over heat, over pressure, press too long, etc...  what's the outcome?  How critical is each phase of the Heat Transfer Process? Is one more critical than the other?  

All help is appreciated.  This line of business took off faster than I anticipated and 1 order of 15 shirts is already out the door.  I'm anticipating that they will have a complaint and plan on re-doing the order but do not want to make the same mistake(s).  Thanks in advance.

wildgoose does the most garments of any of the mods but other members should be along that use that particular product.  I use easyweed 90 percent of the time and have not used the featherlite - first thing that sticks out to me is the directions are :

Cut Mirror image using 45° or 60° blade.

• Weed material.
  • Temp: 310° F/155° C.
  • Preheat garment for 2-3 seconds.
  • Press with Medium Pressure for 15 seconds.
  • Peel cold.

are you pre pressing the shirt for the 2-3 seconds before applying the graphic to eliminate any moisture in the garment (yes even sitting on a shelf they will have a certain amount of moisture) ?
    did you check your platen across all 4 quadrants to make sure the temp is consistent and up to temp?
    are you applying with enough pressure that after pressing you can see the fabric weave in the vinyl? 

Not sure where you are getting your shirts but with shirts from a wholesaler I never wash first as anything like fabric softener can contaminate the surface of the shirt and affect the adhesion (or even if you are like my wife and use 3 times more detergent than necessary leaves residue - washed a blanket after she complained and took 3 more washings without detergent to get it to not suds in the washer)

I am sure someone will be around shortly to help that uses the feather lite

• Like 2

Thank you.  Yes, I am preheating all the shirts for 3-5 seconds.  I have the recommended blade, and I THINK I'm using the correct pressure.  How "COLD" is cold peel?  I'm waiting about 30seconds because I'm pressing one, setting it down, then aligning the next shirt.  While it is pressing, I'm peeling the previous one.

I ordered these shirts that say "Prewashed" but I washed with a little bit of detergent no fabric softener and dried them to decrease the amount of shrinkage because i thought that would have a negative effect on the design.

I checked the temp in the middle of the platen, but not all over.  I'll do that now, my clamshell is heating up.

#wildgoose 

personally I get mine from a wholesaler and never do anything to them before pressing and delivering.

I would think that would be long enough if you can lay your hand on it and it is only warm

• Like 1

Cold is literally cold. Not even warm and be careful pulling it off the press not to dislodge things when handling them while hot. I hate cold peel but when I do some I carefully set it aside and come back and peel the carrier after all there rest are done. Way slow. 

Thank you both.  I appreciate the info.  I took a non-washed shirt from inventory, heated the clamshell up to 340 which put the lowest temperature area of the platen at 320ish, added a little pressure more to the "Firm" setting, pre-warmed, pressed, and waited for 1 beer and a tv show before peeling. 

It says to let stand for 24hr before washing.  So this evening I'll wash it and post the results.

Thanks again.