eprcvinyls

what tape top use for doing layers?

Okay ive messed up vinyl trying to do layers my clear tape is so strong it pulls up the bottom image or anything it touches i guess i need low tape transfer tape please help i don't want to keep messing up vinyl was trying to do a Flag. so its 3 colors and the 2nd layer pulled up the first. so bad i just threw it away

You want to do it in reverse order. Say your layers are red on the bottom, white in the middle, blue on top, you tape the blue with enough extra that it will cover both the white and red layers. You then put the blue on the white, then peal the backing off and put the blue and white onto the red. Then when ready to apply just peal the backing off and apply.

Although as I type this I realize you may be apply to the substrate directly, which is the better way to layer. If that is the case and your tape is pulling the vinyl back off of the substrate you have a problem with the lower layers. You shouldn't be able to pull vinyl off a substrate that easily.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eprcvinyls said:

Okay ive messed up vinyl trying to do layers my clear tape is so strong it pulls up the bottom image or anything it touches i guess i need low tape transfer tape please help i don't want to keep messing up vinyl was trying to do a Flag. so its 3 colors and the 2nd layer pulled up the first. so bad i just threw it away

Clear tape is sucky. Most pro's use paper tape. I agree with darcshadow, if you are finding you are lifting already applied layers back off the final substrate then you have something else going wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

Clear tape is sucky. Most pro's use paper tape.

When layering, clear tape makes it a lot easier if you ask me!

3 hours ago, mb20music said:

When layering, clear tape it a lot easier if you ask me!

yeah i got the clear manily for doing multiple layers cause you can see through it you can't see through the tape I have at least

3 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Clear tape is sucky. Most pro's use paper tape. I agree with darcshadow, if you are finding you are lifting already applied layers back off the final substrate then you have something else going wrong. 

Just what  already said reason im using clear

5 hours ago, darcshadow said:

You want to do it in reverse order. Say your layers are red on the bottom, white in the middle, blue on top, you tape the blue with enough extra that it will cover both the white and red layers. You then put the blue on the white, then peal the backing off and put the blue and white onto the red. Then when ready to apply just peal the backing off and apply.

Although as I type this I realize you may be apply to the substrate directly, which is the better way to layer. If that is the case and your tape is pulling the vinyl back off of the substrate you have a problem with the lower layers. You shouldn't be able to pull vinyl off a substrate that easily.

I can try that , it might work.. The layer i put on top is just pealing off the vinyl im laying it on top of. but its not on anything (car,glass wall, ) its just on the backing it was cut on.

So the vinyl is not sticking to the other vinyl? That seems odd, from what I've found, there is nothing vinyl sticks to better than other vinyl. What type of vinyls are you using?

3 hours ago, darcshadow said:

So the vinyl is not sticking to the other vinyl? That seems odd, from what I've found, there is nothing vinyl sticks to better than other vinyl. What type of vinyls are you using?

Well the first project i was doing was a foot print and the 2nd layer of vinyl was to go inside the first layer. i weeded out where the 2nd layer was going to go. Hope that makes sense. and when i went to pull the backing up from laying it. the first layer of vinyl was peeling up with my tape.

here it is, the black outside edges were pulling up from me laying the red on it. I tried to trim around the red so it wouldn't over lay the black but it still kept wanting to pull it up

20180313_140034.jpg

3 hours ago, mb20music said:

When layering, clear tape makes it a lot easier if you ask me!

Thanks for the video. I seen it way before i got my cutter but had forgot how he layed the different ones. that might help me if the vinyl wouldn't peal up with the transfer tape. My transfer tape has a backing the clear does wonder if that makes it more sticky i got it off ebay just to try clear

BTW all my vinyl is Oracal 631/651 /751 these two things were using 651

13 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

Thanks for the video. I seen it way before i got my cutter but had forgot how he layed the different ones. that might help me if the vinyl wouldn't peal up with the transfer tape. My transfer tape has a backing the clear does wonder if that makes it more sticky i got it off ebay just to try clear

BTW all my vinyl is Oracal 631/651 /751 these two things were using 651

It better pull up with the masking. Top layer first, the transfer tape holds it all together. If you try to do it bas akwards, it ain't going to work.

3 hours ago, bikemike said:

It better pull up with the masking. Top layer first, the transfer tape holds it all together. If you try to do it bas akwards, it ain't going to work.

okay, I will try it next time, Thanks. as you know im new and still learning proper way to do this stuff

top layer is usually the smallest. Make sure the masking is big enough for the bottom layer. Takes a bit of getting used to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bikemike said:

top layer is usually the smallest. Make sure the masking is big enough for the bottom layer. Takes a bit of getting used to.

doing my Flag it would all be the same cause it has to overlap everything so still not 100 sure how i would do it. cause 3 layers and well if i layed the top layer on top of the tranfer paper for the middle layer that wouldn't work

Someone PM me asking about my Clear tranfer paper saying it not real Tranfer tape cause it has a backing. so is the kind w.o a backing better?

this is just what i replied to them

this is where i got it from on the back of it i see oratape Application tape MT80P just from looking around watching youtube videos some of the clear tape does have a backing like mine and some is just stuck to itself. but the person on  ebay bebarswilson  I will never buy from again cause there other name is Swing Design  witch is what they sell under through Walmart.com but they take forever to ship. Uscutter is lot faster.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oracal-Clear-Transfer-Tape-Roll-12-Inch-x-10-Feet/322575151305?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

You only use 1 piece of transfer tape. Pick up the top layer, peal that off the backing paper, lay it on the next layer, peal that off the backing paper and so on. In the end, you have the original piece of transfer tape holding all the layers together.

Transfer tape is transfer tape - it will either work or it won't. I've seen people try to use regular masking tape, or painter's tape - basically anything that had enough tack to grab the vinyl, but not enough so it wouldn't release on final application. Different strokes for different folks.

All of mine come from a roll, either Oratape or R-Tape. It's personal preference for everyone here.

I've done multi-color using paper too, but the tape is more prone to stretching than my clear tape.

If you have a design that one color literally sits on another, then you start from the top. If you have a design that none of the colors sit and/or touch other colors, then it doesn't matter which order you do it.

If I have a mutli-color that has white vinyl in it, and it doesn't require me to think about taping order, then I tend to have white be the last "layer" because the design will show better with the blue backing paper.

Practice, practice, practice. It will get easier.

1 hour ago, eprcvinyls said:

20180313_140034.jpg

so in this situation, I would cut the black paw as completely solid, no cut out for the paw pads, then overlay the red on it. then there will be no visible gaps. Tape up the red first, then overlay it on the black paw.

• Like 1

thanks everyone I did one the way the guy in the video did his and it was near perfect.I was doing it the hard way thanks for showing me the correct way