CoatingArms

A Fix for HTV Cutting Problems

Just getting back into the game after many years and I instantly ran into a problem I was trying to solve with HTV and a Titan2.

More times than not when I had to cut HTV it would bunch between the rollers and the blade.

No adjustments fixed all of the problems.

So - rather than trying to reinvent the wheel and wasting a lot more vinyl, I just ordered a carrier sheet and affixed the HTV to it before cutting.

No more problems AND I can still use those smaller pieces for cutting.

One thing to be aware of - make sure your rollers are on the vinyl (even add scrap here) and not running across the carrier sheet or the rollers can tack up and remove the carrier sheet coating.

I have had zero issues since going this route with cutting the HTV.

Wow!  interesting... since I just ordered a few carrier sheets for my Titan2.  I had the same problem and have wasted many 12x15 sheets trying to get the graphics as large as possible... only to watch it eventually bind up...  very frustrating.

My wife has a Cricut and I love their concept of the carrier sheet since you can use small scrap and waste so little.  But I searched the whole Internet and wasn't finding much info for larger format cutters with carrier sheets.  Nothing on youtube either.  So i was really skeptical when I seen them on uscutter.  Didn't even see anything on ebay for carrier sheets except for the small home project cutters.

I can't wait to get mine and finally be able to cut the 12x15 space and not have to shrink the graphic down to a 9x11.  that is a a lot of waste!  Maybe I'll make a video and share it on youtube if this works out... lol.

You will not be wasting your time.

Start with small pieces to make sure your cutting depth/pressure is correct.

Note: don't let the rollers run over the exposed sheet, they will pick and remove the sheet coating - cover those area with scraps before you run.

Running normal vinyl on the sheet may stick and peel the paper backing where the rollers have gone over it.

Good luck!

I wondered about if i could do this my SC2 just seems to hate cutting anything small. as in i only need a image or words 5x5 i stick in a 10x10 sheet seems like it always gets off track and i ruin the vinyl

The SC2 had two larger grit rollers and 3 movable pinch rollers, correct? You should be able to move the pinch rollers around so that you could cut scrape vinyl that's about 2" square.

Now getting scrape vinyl lined up straight can be a bit trickier but so long as the scrape is a decent size larger than the design you just make sure the design is far enough away from the edges to start with and you should be good to go.

19 hours ago, CoatingArms said:

You'll get your money back in vinyl you don't waste or ruin.

I'm sure. I have wasted quite a bit.

16 hours ago, darcshadow said:

The SC2 had two larger grit rollers and 3 movable pinch rollers, correct? You should be able to move the pinch rollers around so that you could cut scrape vinyl that's about 2" square.

Now getting scrape vinyl lined up straight can be a bit trickier but so long as the scrape is a decent size larger than the design you just make sure the design is far enough away from the edges to start with and you should be good to go.

It does, But i find for some reason the cutter ends up swinging the vinyl that's in the center of the machine out from under the rollers. not sure why but ive had it do this quite a few times.

i have tried 2 rollers, 3 rollers sometimes i get lucky

hmmm, maybe move the rollers further in from the edge of the vinyl. Also, be sure to not put a roller over the "dead zone" in the center where there are no grit rollers below.

Have you adjusted roller pressure? Not suggesting you do, just wondering if you have in the past and inadvertently caused problems.