eprcvinyls

Am I cutting myself short on my prices?

Recommended Posts

Being totally new to this stuff I kinda guessed at what to make my prices at. I came up with a number for doing basic easy smaller stuff but lately trying to help a buddy do bigger stuff for his truck im really not sure what i should be charging.

I had a whole page wrote then deiced not to post numbers. So will ask this, how do you figure out prices for cutting stuff when the Customer supplied the vinyl?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vinyl is actually the cheapest part of the whole thing and more often then not can all but be ignored when figuring price. Figure the time involved, how much you want to pay yourself per hour and go from there. For example,  if you pay yourself say $50 an hour and a design takes you 0.5 hours to design, cut, weed, and tape up then you'd charge $25.

Size doesn't really matter, If the design is 5"x5" and takes you 5 hours to design, cut, weed, and tape then you'd charge $250. However if you have a design that is 6'x6' and only takes you an hour to design, cut, weed and tape then it'd only be $50.

There is one minor problem with this logic though, and it is that the custom doesn't think in terms of time, only product and they're willing to pay more for a larger product even though in reality it's cheaper for you to make. So even though the math above says $50 for the 6' design, you could very likely get away with $100, or even more depending on the market and your customer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the things i have done have been simple only took less then 30 mins to make on the program, cut ,weed tap. so most ive charged was like $15 that was for a bigger design. but sold to only friends and trying to make deals with them so they continue to use me and tell others about me maybe.

I have spent more time with this truck design then anything total about 6 hours so far

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it's a tough call on because part of the issue is the fact that you're still learning how to do all this. So while it may have taken you 6 hours so far, in a years time you might be able to do all this in an hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Yeah, it's a tough call on because part of the issue is the fact that you're still learning how to do all this. So while it may have taken you 6 hours so far, in a years time you might be able to do all this in an hour.

Yeah, Well he knew i learning and he didn't know if i could do it at all, i told him I would try and i really at first didn't want to do it but we been friends 20 years and both helped each out over those years, The only shop that would do it told him $900 and no one else even would give a quote. he said he would buy a cutter and do it himself if he had to. im probably not charging him enough to be honest I'm sure i'm not. but it does give me more practice of doing stuff like this.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though it's taking some serious amount of time to figure this project out for your friend, the knowledge that you're gaining will be priceless to you in the long run. Not going to lie - that's a big project you're undertaking, but it's also exciting. Your friend understands that you're just starting out, and that's the best kind of customer there is. You're getting paid to learn.

I'll be honest, sometimes I base my prices on size, sometimes on difficulty, and sometimes on difficulty of the customer. There have been times when the artwork is cut-ready, and other times where I feel like I'm spending forever to node edit it to death. What I do know, is my hard cost - the cost of the vinyl and app tape, and what I perceive as the wear and tear on all the rest of the equipment and accessories. Sometimes, I only charge then for the roll of the new color (because I didn't have it in my inventory already), and I get to keep whatever is left on the roll - which is usually the majority of it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, haumana said:

and sometimes on difficulty of the customer

:lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback, yeah he said whatever is left over from the lime green and purple he is buying i could keep not sure how much be left he ordered 30 ft rolls anoher reason just not sure what to charge just for cutting it out

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first job in a print shop, the owner gave me his pricing calculator. I've used it ever since. I should note, this is for cut decals from Oracal 631 and 651. Width of the vinyl roll + length of the cut (in inches) divided by 2. That's my base price. on a 24" roll, I keep my designs within 22", so say the design fits into a cut area is 22" x 50". I add 2" to the width and 2" to the length (for the rollers and extra length where it's cut). So that's 24+52=76/2=$38. This is already a decent profit. For me, I've gotten really fast at weeding my own designs, so I'll just round up a few bucks if it's a design that takes more than a few minutes to weed. For custom stuff, I'll round up a little more. Custom designs are charged at my $60 an hour freelance rate. Re-creating artwork in vector for me to cut is charged at $30 an hour rate. 

Using this pricing calculator on my 24" rolls of 631, every 5 yards of vinyl sold pays for a 50 yard roll. 45 yards of pure profit. Also gives you some wiggle room to offer decent discounts when people make large orders. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do recall, before getting into cutting myself, a kiosk at a mall that was charging $1/inch (longs side). That was based on 651 and they were using a 15" roll.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 8:49 PM, pmvinyls said:

My first job in a print shop, the owner gave me his pricing calculator. I've used it ever since. I should note, this is for cut decals from Oracal 631 and 651. Width of the vinyl roll + length of the cut (in inches) divided by 2. That's my base price. on a 24" roll, I keep my designs within 22", so say the design fits into a cut area is 22" x 50". I add 2" to the width and 2" to the length (for the rollers and extra length where it's cut). So that's 24+52=76/2=$38. This is already a decent profit. For me, I've gotten really fast at weeding my own designs, so I'll just round up a few bucks if it's a design that takes more than a few minutes to weed. For custom stuff, I'll round up a little more. Custom designs are charged at my $60 an hour freelance rate. Re-creating artwork in vector for me to cut is charged at $30 an hour rate. 

Using this pricing calculator on my 24" rolls of 631, every 5 yards of vinyl sold pays for a 50 yard roll. 45 yards of pure profit. Also gives you some wiggle room to offer decent discounts when people make large orders. 

 

On 3/8/2018 at 10:22 PM, haumana said:

I do recall, before getting into cutting myself, a kiosk at a mall that was charging $1/inch (longs side). That was based on 651 and they were using a 15" roll.

Thanks everyone. My buddy got heck a deal from me,  i cut his own vinyl it was two  80 inches long by 23 inches wide and only charged him $20 for it. but he did let me have what was left over. Got to cut the tail gate one still when he gets me the size. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now