eprcvinyls

why is my traced image cutting doulble around it??

okay so I have been trying to trace images from a large image a friend came up with some of you have tried to help me get the images out of the larger one, anyhow i did one yesterday i cut it but when it cut it put like double lines on the outside edge of it. it was okay i just weeded out the extra cut but ild rather not waste that material and have to do that if someone could tell me how to make itnot do it thank you

rearzigzag image.jpg

Posting a link to the file in question would go a long way in understanding what happened.  If you export it in a common vector format, more people can look at it, such as svg or pdf.  But if it is a VinylMaster file, fewer can look.

Nine times out of ten this happens when you have a copy of your vector art, under another.  In Inkscape, you could change the view mode to outline, and drag things around.  See if anything is grouped together and ungroup it first.  If you have two objects grouped together, they will move and in some ways behave as one unless you ungroup.  The cutting software will try to cut both.  If it was an Inkscape autotrace, Inkscape will often stack autotrace results on top of on another.  If you find a duplicate, delete it and carry one.  Could be multiple duplicates.

When you select an object in Inkscape it will tell you in the status bar if its a group.  Not sure how VM handles groups.

There are settings in cutting software to double cut, but if this the only one doing, its likely something in the vector art and not the cutter settings.

It could also be that you made something, "fat," for lack of a better word.  That instead of one path on the perimeter, it is a thin object with its own interior perimeter.

When you give it a fill it it should look like the second not the first.  If it fills like the second, (here I used red,) then it is good to cut.  If it filled like the first, it has a thin interior and that is what will cut, which if thin enough, would seem like a double cut.

inex.png.14fb08fdb3128e0e02ca5c1bb61e605a.png

I suspect when you drew your line in Inkscape, then imported the desgin into your cut software the line was converted to an object and you now have two lines, one on the inside and one ont he outside of your line drawing.

If that is the case, in Inkscape, remove the stroke color, and add a fill color. To do that, select the shape, then click a color option on the bottom of the screen to set the fill, then hold down the shift key and click the little red X on the left of the color selection and it will remove the stroke color. You rarely want your final design to have strokes. And if you do want a line like that, it's better to convert the stroke to a path.

Till you get the hang of everything, it's also a good idea to take a look at your design in wire frame mode before hitting the cut button.

6 hours ago, dcbevins said:

Posting a link to the file in question would go a long way in understanding what happened.  If you export it in a common vector format, more people can look at it, such as svg or pdf.  But if it is a VinylMaster file, fewer can look.

Nine times out of ten this happens when you have a copy of your vector art, under another.  In Inkscape, you could change the view mode to outline, and drag things around.  See if anything is grouped together and ungroup it first.  If you have two objects grouped together, they will move and in some ways behave as one unless you ungroup.  The cutting software will try to cut both.  If it was an Inkscape autotrace, Inkscape will often stack autotrace results on top of on another.  If you find a duplicate, delete it and carry one.  Could be multiple duplicates.

When you select an object in Inkscape it will tell you in the status bar if its a group.  Not sure how VM handles groups.

There are settings in cutting software to double cut, but if this the only one doing, its likely something in the vector art and not the cutter settings.

It could also be that you made something, "fat," for lack of a better word.  That instead of one path on the perimeter, it is a thin object with its own interior perimeter.

When you give it a fill it it should look like the second not the first.  If it fills like the second, (here I used red,) then it is good to cut.  If it filled like the first, it has a thin interior and that is what will cut, which if thin enough, would seem like a double cut.

inex.png.14fb08fdb3128e0e02ca5c1bb61e605a.png

It is the one I did with ink scrape and I bet that is why it happened. I did try playing with the color fill thing and didn't get it to ever change much it filled in a little but i wanted it to look ylike your 2nd pic

5 hours ago, darcshadow said:

I suspect when you drew your line in Inkscape, then imported the desgin into your cut software the line was converted to an object and you now have two lines, one on the inside and one ont he outside of your line drawing.

If that is the case, in Inkscape, remove the stroke color, and add a fill color. To do that, select the shape, then click a color option on the bottom of the screen to set the fill, then hold down the shift key and click the little red X on the left of the color selection and it will remove the stroke color. You rarely want your final design to have strokes. And if you do want a line like that, it's better to convert the stroke to a path.

Till you get the hang of everything, it's also a good idea to take a look at your design in wire frame mode before hitting the cut button.

Did you use autotrace to get  your result?  If so there are things, (assuming it was Inkscape you used,)  one can try to get better results.  Reduce the number or scans, don't stack results, convert to greyscale or b/w before hand.  A manual trace always does better, (bezier pen.)

If you did something like DarkShadow suggested and the stroke became an object somehow, then you might can get around that.  You would have to share a link or post a vector file of what you've done to determine.

Playing with the color fill does nothing to the path.  It is just a visual way to see what is going on.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dcbevins said:

Did you use autotrace to get  your result?  If so there are things, (assuming it was Inkscape you used,)  one can try to get better results.  Reduce the number or scans, don't stack results, convert to greyscale or b/w before hand.  A manual trace always does better, (bezier pen.)

If you did something like DarkShadow suggested and the stroke became an object somehow, then you might can get around that.  You would have to share a link or post a vector file of what you've done to determine.

Playing with the color fill does nothing to the path.  It is just a visual way to see what is going on.  

Oh alright no it wasn't a auto trace i just did the Bezier tool then i clicked on the nodes and was able to drag for the curves

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:32 PM, eprcvinyls said:

Oh alright no it wasn't a auto trace i just did the Bezier tool then i clicked on the nodes and was able to drag for the curves

Look at the file in Wire Frame mode and you can see what the cutter will be seeing when it goes to cut. For the most part you don't want to design with a colored line but rather use filled objects. Not sure if that makes sense or not. A colored line sometimes referred to as stroked line is just an applied color that usually can be widened to achieve a certain look but in most programs is not going to cut what you see on the regular view screen. Each design program treats these a little different or names things differently so it can vary. Safest way to know for sure is to get it where you think it's ready and then look in wire frame. This will also show you if you have something like a script font that the letters overlap whether it has been welded properly or not etc... 

• Like 1

If you trace an object like this it will have an inside path and an outside path since it is a pen or a stroke. To have a single curve, select the object and from the Curve (menu) click Break Apart and then delete the path you do not wish to keep and you will be left with either inside or outside curve (path).

• Like 1

On 3/10/2018 at 8:16 PM, VinylMaster said:

If you trace an object like this it will have an inside path and an outside path since it is a pen or a stroke. To have a single curve, select the object and from the Curve (menu) click Break Apart and then delete the path you do not wish to keep and you will be left with either inside or outside curve (path).

Thanks, I tried that and it didn't quite work right, should you be in nodes mode when you do that? We got that part of the truck finished well one side. got to do the other. i just weeded out what i didn't need 2 lines of.

Yes you will need to break the curve apart at the points which suits the artwork. This is all done in node edit mode. Make sure you work in wireframe and turn the objects fill off here:

image.thumb.png.5eff312ed411f46635636c506ae38cea.png

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.