eprcvinyls

How can i get these designs out of this picture?

Recommended Posts

Okay, I posted in another post about something else and no one replied so making one for just this issue.. This is something  a friend wants on his truck but were having issues finding Puzzle piece vinyl long enough needs to be 6 foot x 24 inch wide. anyhow how can i get the 2 designs out of this picture so i can vectorize just the 2 different ones? I need the Zig zag that is purple to do it in purple then i need the puzzle piece one by itself. Im using SCAL and Vinylmaster, i can use inkscrape if someone explains how to do it.

Thanks

 

tailgateturnertruck.jpg

turner.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A manual trace would be the best way. Open the image in your editor of choice and use the bezier tool to draw the design over the top of the image.

Here's a start, I've manually traced the purple part, took about 5 min.

truck.svg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darcshadow said:

A manual trace would be the best way. Open the image in your editor of choice and use the bezier tool to draw the design over the top of the image.

Here's a start, I've manually traced the purple part, took about 5 min.

truck.svg

Okay, No clue have to look that up and oh so that made the Purple, stand out on top

Okay so I see that its ready to cut but why is the Size way off? so when i try to put the size i need its putting the design really funny i guess cause the front of the truck is in it also So im going to use the NODE thing and try trace just the bed of the truck hope that help

Sorry still learning this i can do basic easy stuff

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Size is just the size of the original picture. When changing the size be sure you have the aspect ratio locked so that it scales both the width and the height.

You'll want to copy copy or move the vector up or over so that's it's not on top of the raster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Size is just the size of the original picture. When changing the size be sure you have the aspect ratio locked so that it scales both the width and the height.

You'll want to copy copy or move the vector up or over so that's it's not on top of the raster.

Yeah for this project its not the size he wants it says like 6 foot wide by 6 foot long, he wants it 24 inch wide by the 6 ft long.

Thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you resize, select just one of the purple shapes at a time. Here is the tail gate with the puzzle traced in yellow. I then copied both the purple and yellow, moved them up, and resized to 72x24.

truck.svg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, darcshadow said:

When you resize, select just one of the purple shapes at a time. Here is the tail gate with the puzzle traced in yellow. I then copied both the purple and yellow, moved them up, and resized to 72x24.

truck.svg

Oh awesome. I looked on you tube and maybe not putting it in the correct way to pull up video but i couldn't find anyone using the bezier tool  in VM maybe called something else. I did however figure out how to pull more colors out when i vetrorize and last night was able to do a different graphic that i wanted as just the words and no back ground it came out really nice im happy with it.  this is the before and after. I also made this for another box of mine. I fly Radio control and the last one is my Charging case.

thumb-helifreak-joins-RCGroups.jpg

helifreaklogo.jpg

28279987_1884000334967323_1470777940767968056_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good. For future reference, if you can identify and find the font, recreating text is always better than tracing. And the design in that graphic would be easy enough to recreate as well.

Someone that uses VM will have to chime in, but I'm sure VM has a bezier equivalent tool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Looks good. For future reference, if you can identify and find the font, recreating text is always better than tracing. And the design in that graphic would be easy enough to recreate as well.

Someone that uses VM will have to chime in, but I'm sure VM has a bezier equivalent tool.

Thanks and well maybe for a expert but i wanted it to have the same placement. and I still don't really know how to draw out images something else i need to work on..I did make the banner for the plane in that one picture. but took me longer then should

3 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Looks like the tool in VM is a polyline. There's a video in this posts that I think will help.

 

Thanks will check that out

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mfatty500 said:

Kudos to you for at least trying (and it doesn't look that bad), not just looking for a handout, great job!

Thanks, i just tried using the poline tool and i understand how it works but man I wish there was a way to move the mouse with arror keys or something, i was attempting to trace a Star kinda shape for a friend and i didn't get the lines right at all cause there curved rather then straight

 

This is another before and after i done using the Vetorizing and picking the colors out. I would never sell these cause they are Copyrighted but there just a lil bit different from the original on purpose so no one can say anything.. But ive used these in the past just printed out on paper. Vinyl is so much prettier.

RCGlogo.jpg

rcg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bezier tool is a little different, but I just put the points in the general location of what ever I'm tracing. Then once the shape is formed, go back and zoom in and node edit to move the individual nodes, adjust the curve, straighten lines, etc.

And if you need to have two points exactly lines up, you can always copy and paste the x or y coordinates of the points you are wanting to line up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darcshadow said:

The bezier tool is a little different, but I just put the points in the general location of what ever I'm tracing. Then once the shape is formed, go back and zoom in and node edit to move the individual nodes, adjust the curve, straighten lines, etc.

And if you need to have two points exactly lines up, you can always copy and paste the x or y coordinates of the points you are wanting to line up.

Tracing isn't my thing ha ha.. i tried to make the puzzle part look like your purple one did but it didn't work

 

Puzel outlined.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way the bezier tool, or the bezier pen works in may programs, (CorelDraw, Inkscape, Illustrator, Xara, ect.)  It is that it is a path you can easily edit.  If I am manually tracing something, I "box" it first.  That is I don't try to draw the curves around what I am tracing, I just draw a rough outline around it using straight lines.  Then, I go back and grap indvidual points and give them curvature.  Often this is by changing a line segment from a straight line to a curve and then adjusting the node's handles.  This can be done quickly with practice.  Drawing with the bezier tool doesn't have to get the trace perfect the first time, not even close.  It's power is in how it can be edited.  

I imagine the polyline tool in VM must be something similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dcbevins said:

The way the bezier tool, or the bezier pen works in may programs, (CorelDraw, Inkscape, Illustrator, Xara, ect.)  It is that it is a path you can easily edit.  If I am manually tracing something, I "box" it first.  That is I don't try to draw the curves around what I am tracing, I just draw a rough outline around it using straight lines.  Then, I go back and grap indvidual points and give them curvature.  Often this is by changing a line segment from a straight line to a curve and then adjusting the node's handles.  This can be done quickly with practice.  Drawing with the bezier tool doesn't have to get the trace perfect the first time, not even close.  It's power is in how it can be edited.  

I imagine the polyline tool in VM must be something similar.

Alright I will try that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like you tried to put too many nodes. For this image, just put a node at the points.

The green circles are where I would put my nodes to start with. Note, some of the points are actually off image. The wheel well for example. You can tell the intended design would have a point about where I marked. 

1.JPG.d8e26b6d94b1ef56d2d4eba98cf5750c.JPG

Once you do that you will end up with a shape like this.

2.jpg.3732efe1e8963719d59e45084bb45f05.jpg

Then you node edit to adjust the nodes to be exactly where you want, and change the straight lines to curves. If you do this will a fill as I've shown, it's easiest if you set the fill to be slightly transparent so you can see the design below. Keep at it and you'll get the hang of if it. This quick ruff trace took about 3 minutes.

3.jpg.95fd9ed463b0e09290328519aa961976.jpg

Now you can go back and cut out the portions that you don't want around the wheel well and the bottom. However, if this is being installed on a truck, I'd leave them there, and then just trim the design to the truck after it's installed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

side note, from a design stand point, I think I'd take off that extra bit at the top left, it doesn't flow with the design. The whole design looks as if it could be a single brush stroke, except for the extra bit, something like this flows better, in my opinion that is.

4.JPG.6b606e12af8fcf45d62dad3e06c3a101.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wow alright i will try that way. Maybe tomorrow im to tired right now to try anything been a long day. had two things to design today one i got finished other going just do by hand.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still cant get this.. Now he wants the puzzle of the back and i just cant get it just like it is, it has round curves mine end up stright.

 

Is there a free program that does this eisier We need to get this finished like yesterday

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eprcvinyls said:

Still cant get this....We need to get this finished like yesterday.

You should not have promised it without the experience and skills to accomplish this complicated design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, slice&dice said:

You should not have promised it without the experience and skills to accomplish this complicated design.

hey, if you don't have any tips on doing what i need done just don't even reply.  He knew that i didn't really know how cause i told him from the start i needed each image separate and he didn't have them cause he designed it as one huge image in paint and didn't save the work as individual.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well Inkscape seemed to worked better for me, Finally. It let me make curves where the other one didn't really.

 

backofbedimage.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, eprcvinyls said:

hey, if you don't have any tips on doing what i need done just don't even reply.  He knew that i didn't really know how cause i told him from the start i needed each image separate and he didn't have them cause he designed it as one huge image in paint and didn't save the work as individual.

Slice&Dice is stating something important.  This stuff is not push button easy.  My experience on here, everybody wants to help.  Even with a blunt statement like he made.  Most of us have years working on these skills, but many show up wanting an answer in minutes.  How do you give that?

Short sentences in a forum don't cover things like bezier curves, spiro paths, Bspline paths, 3 point paths, tapered paths, smooth, curved, straight and symmetrical nodes, guidelines, snapping, clones, rotation, duplication with transforms applied, rounded rectangles and triangles, fillet and chamfer, contours, insets and outsets, open paths vs closed paths, manual tracing vs auto-tracing, and a truck load more, many specific to specific applications.

It can't be absorbed quickly, unless your Jimmy Neutron or the like.  But all of us I bet have been under a deadline and ready or not, something has to be done.  Then, you have to just push through, learn just enough and get it done somehow.  Before you get it done, your as cranky as toothless man in a rock candy eating contest.  Afterwards your jubilant.  

But don't let cranky interfere with the message here.  This stuff goes easier with more preparation and practice.

I'm glad you found Inkscape.  Its a great program.  It and CorelDraw are my current favorites.  There is an Inkscape specific chat room on irc you can learn about on their community page.  As it's live chat it might work well for you if your stuck on a particular feature.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now