Sign in to follow this  
QualeT Graphics

Whats the trick?

Hello Friends,

I have been using Green Star vinyl in my cutting stages. I have now upgraded to Oracal 651. When I go to put transfer tape on the decal the backing of the 651 bends up. Are there any tricks you all use to get it to lay flat so I do not end up with wrinkles in my transfer tape?

Thanks

maybe be sure to start the tape in center and work out? i never had mine curl up like your staying what tape you using? i use medium right now its the paper kind ive got clear on order if it ever shows up

put the app tape on your table sticky side up and then apply the vinyl to that - much easier

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dakotagrafx said:

put the app tape on your table sticky side up and then apply the vinyl to that - much easier

way, way, way easier!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I do it that way sometimes. just depends what it is.

1 hour ago, eprcvinyls said:

I do it that way sometimes. just depends what it is.

I do sticky side up almost all the time, it's a rare occasion that I need to do it the other way around. I have much better control over the alignment and I get far less bubbles <- which probably means I need to improve my technique :P

• Like 2

If you find yourself in a multi-layer situation the curl from the backing can be a pain. When in that predicament I use some masking tape and hold down the edges of the weeded lower layer. 

Under normal circumstances I do like has been mentioned and lay my app tape out with sticky side up and place the cut vinyl face down followed by squeegee from the middle out just like an install. I usually also flip it and re-squeegee it after I get it on there prior to trimming around the edges. 

Another tip I use is I am careful to trim around my design nice and square and consistent. I use a clear craft ruler with the 1/4" lines to keep the edges about the same distance from the edges of the cut vinyl. This helps a LOT when installing because you can just make sure the whole thing is square to the world and the graphic will follow suit. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, QualeT Graphics said:

Hello Friends,

I have been using Green Star vinyl in my cutting stages. I have now upgraded to Oracal 651. When I go to put transfer tape on the decal the backing of the 651 bends up. Are there any tricks you all use to get it to lay flat so I do not end up with wrinkles in my transfer tape?

Thanks

If my paper backing it bending up, and there are wrinkles, not bubbles, in the app tape, then I either didn't line it up and squeegee it well, or - which is usually the case when it happens for me, I've squeegeed it too hard.

• Like 1