Sign in to follow this  
eprcvinyls

Want to put big design on back then small on front wait or?

I never thought about this but as im making a t shirt for my wifes sister. i say you want it on front or back then she goes oh back then we can put something else on the front? i say yes but not sure about this do i need let the shirt completely cool off before doing the other. or need to do close same time as i do the back then flip right on over and do the front or what Do i need lay the shirt one something besides the press to do this please thank you

Ideally you want to thread the shirt onto the press so only one side gets heat at a time.  If you can't for some reason, something in the middle of the shirt might help like a teflon sheet.

DK20S-Thread-Shirt.jpg.b03c4dcc370314ca018ae48b255ed16d.jpg

3 hours ago, dcbevins said:

Ideally you want to thread the shirt onto the press so only one side gets heat at a time.  If you can't for some reason, something in the middle of the shirt might help like a teflon sheet.

DK20S-Thread-Shirt.jpg.b03c4dcc370314ca018ae48b255ed16d.jpg

Thank you for the reply, Ive got the back of both shirts finished. the logo on the back is full size 9 inches tall by 12 wide. the thing on the front would just be the name on the left size then her shirt she wants a Pocket sized image put on it.. i'm suppose to use the teflon sheet on top right? is that same as the heat cover sheet i got sorry still learning names of all this stuff

Can you not thread the shirt?  Then there is no issue.  To be clear, you are talking about placing the shirt on the press so the front and back may get heat?  A threaded shirt only gets heat on one side.

If you can not thread as you have some peculiar press I can't grasp, then you probably want the teflon sheet inside the shirt, between the front and back of the shirt.  Teflon sheets will block some of the heat, but not all.

If you have to press a shirt that already has a pressed design on it again, say later you want to add more color or rhinestones, you want the teflon sheet there to prevent the vinyl on the shirt melting onto you press.  Protecting the platen is the main use for a cover sheet.  Other heat transfer methods might have a chance to impart ink or other materials onto the platen, like sublimation, so a sheet protects the platen.

A teflon sheet will in some cases cause a more glossy finish on heat transfer vinyl.  Some desire this effect.  Kraft paper will leave a more matte result.

Threading is not necessary, just do one one side at a time, do not try to add rhinestones diredtly to vinyl as they will not stay on very long, if at all.

Thanks, Well I put the brown /teflon paper on the bottom of the heat press and pressed the front image on both shirts they both look great. maybe i should get another teflon sheet to go on the inside of the shirt also.

This is my shirt. I fly Radio control planes. I have the big logo on the side of my truck it turned out nice.

backofshirt.jpg

frontofshirt.jpg

It won't hurt to re-press the back when you do the front. If your press allows rook to thread it's better but not a deal breaker. A press pillow will help suck the heat up and keep the front cooler but they are a PIA to deal with for any kind of volume and they often make alignment for troublesome. You shouldn't need anything inside the shirt. I use a lower platen cover that is made of teflon and has elastic to hold it on the lower platen. This allows the shirts to slide into position easier. This is not necessary but nice. They also keep any applied graphic from sticking if you do flip and press the other side. Another tip is you can use simple cooking parchment paper as a cover. The stuff is cheap and lasts for hundreds of press cycles. Nothing sticks to that stuff. It's a good idea to cover your graphic when pressing to protect the upper platen but many do not. If you don't then you will probably want to buy a tube of heat press cleaner and occasionally clean the platen. You can get by without any cover when pressing HTV as long as no previous layer is exposed to the metal surface. The plastic carrier is sufficient to protect the vinyl from sticking to the platen. On my high dollar press I finally added an upper platen cover to match the lower one and it has made it nice when doing multi-layered work.

On 2/25/2018 at 7:08 PM, Wildgoose said:

It won't hurt to re-press the back when you do the front. If your press allows rook to thread it's better but not a deal breaker. A press pillow will help suck the heat up and keep the front cooler but they are a PIA to deal with for any kind of volume and they often make alignment for troublesome. You shouldn't need anything inside the shirt. I use a lower platen cover that is made of teflon and has elastic to hold it on the lower platen. This allows the shirts to slide into position easier. This is not necessary but nice. They also keep any applied graphic from sticking if you do flip and press the other side. Another tip is you can use simple cooking parchment paper as a cover. The stuff is cheap and lasts for hundreds of press cycles. Nothing sticks to that stuff. It's a good idea to cover your graphic when pressing to protect the upper platen but many do not. If you don't then you will probably want to buy a tube of heat press cleaner and occasionally clean the platen. You can get by without any cover when pressing HTV as long as no previous layer is exposed to the metal surface. The plastic carrier is sufficient to protect the vinyl from sticking to the platen. On my high dollar press I finally added an upper platen cover to match the lower one and it has made it nice when doing multi-layered work.

Thanks for the info, I got one of these i have been using on top of my image between the image and top of the press http://www.uscutter.com/PTFE-Non-Stick-Sheet-for-Heat-Transfer-Application

and when i did the front of the shirt i used this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRZC7FT/ref=asc_df_B06XRZC7FT5388490/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B06XRZC7FT&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198099762925&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3368216081963953376&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010824&hvtargid=pla-320418298513 on the bottom of the press between the bottom and the front of the shirt  just wanted to be safe. Not sure how tuff this vinyl is, i did wait overnight before i did the other just cause was trying to wait to get a answer about it.

Those Teflon sheets work fine. They just cost a lot and as they develop wrinkles you will see the wrinkle in some of the vinyl on the shirt. If you are into baking (in an oven) just get your hands on a roll of parchment paper for cooking. It's SUPER cheap and will do hundreds of press cycles. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reynolds-Genuine-Parchment-Paper-45-sq-ft-Box/24430856

4 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Those Teflon sheets work fine. They just cost a lot and as they develop wrinkles you will see the wrinkle in some of the vinyl on the shirt. If you are into baking (in an oven) just get your hands on a roll of parchment paper for cooking. It's SUPER cheap and will do hundreds of press cycles. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reynolds-Genuine-Parchment-Paper-45-sq-ft-Box/24430856

Oh alright thanks. Im sure I have some in the kitchen but i can always get more. My dad just happened to have the brown from when he did shirts and i had the white purchased with my first HTV

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

Oh alright thanks. Im sure I have some in the kitchen but i can always get more. My dad just happened to have the brown from when he did shirts and i had the white purchased with my first HTV

I have a couple Teflon sheets too and they are worth having around. I have switched over to the parchment in part because it's lighter and less likely to drag your design out of alignment and you can see through it to verify everything still looks right before lowering the press. It's just a cheap disposable option that is a smart play. 

1 hour ago, Wildgoose said:

I have a couple Teflon sheets too and they are worth having around. I have switched over to the parchment in part because it's lighter and less likely to drag your design out of alignment and you can see through it to verify everything still looks right before lowering the press. It's just a cheap disposable option that is a smart play. 

WG...Does the parchment leave a more matte surface than a Teflon sheet?

12 hours ago, Sue2 said:

WG...Does the parchment leave a more matte surface than a Teflon sheet?

No it's pretty smooth. Teflon will give you a better contoured surface if you are looking for that.