pete8314

What's the correct technique to convert a trace to a vector?

I suspect this is a really simple question, but I've watched hours of USCutter videos, and tried searching, but I must not be using the correct terms, as nothing is coming up.

So lets say I want to make a skin for an iPhone X. I trace the edges of the phone screen on transfer paper, but how to I magically convert that trace into a vector, without losing the scale? Do I literally scan it in, tidy it up in Illustrator, and just trial and error until it's perfect? 

The actual application is for car emblems/badges, so some of the designs are relatively intricate. In the past I've traced them out using a pencil & transfer paper, then sent them to a vinyl cutting company to turn into a vinyl decal, but that's the part of the process I want to take over.

Thanks. But, if the emblem is attached to a car, then that's a bit tricky :-)

In that case, the process is trace -> scan -> tidy & vectorize -> cut?

Is there a preferred scanner that people use, or will any recent scanner be good enough?

Not going to go into copyright issues ... what emblem is it? Most auto emblems can be found via Google. Sometimes you can already find it in vector format.

I would typically get the graphic (or create the graphic), convert it to a single color (black), then use inkscape to vectorize it. From there I would use Sign Blazer to tweak where I needed via node edit (if it only had some fine tuning to do).

Any scanner will do, it's just a matter of dpi you scan it in at, and how much noise is in the scan. That can be worked out with Photoshop.

If it is flat, put a 1" piece of tape or a ruler and take a pic of it, then scale the know size. Then vector it.

• Like 3

That's the key, having something in the trace that is a known size then it's a simple matter of scaling the vector. SB has a great feature for this where you draw a line on the portion of the graphic that you know the size of, enter the size and bam, you've got your image sized correctly.

• Like 1