eprcvinyls

Okay about to do first shirt any advice

i don't know why I am so nervous about making a shirt. I guess cause I don't have much HTV. and well the shirt i want to put on only have one.. I need to practice but really didn't buy enough HTV to practice. im just making two names 2.5 inches tall and 11 inches long.. not tiny but not huge i guess either these are going on 4T white shirts for a friends granddaughters. I didn't expect to get a order already.

all i have to do before cut is tell it to Mirror correct?

get the heat press hot.. i can do a pre heat the shirt for couple secs right to get out wrinkles.

then just put the HTV on the shirt where i want it to be. then put the cover sheet back on top and press for 10-15 secs @305f degrees

Then peel the top off and yoru finished..

did i miss anything, any tips? A video i watched the guy sat the HTV on top of the bottom of the heat press to help weed it easier.

Just a tip from one who does a lot of shirts. Size is deceptive. I still to this day print out a full sized paper copy of what I plan to put on a shirt to see if I have guessed the size about right. I am often scaling up or down because what I thought would be about right was way too large or way too small for the size of shirt or the particular application. 11 wide sounds really big for a 4T kids shirt. 

6 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

Just a tip from one who does a lot of shirts. Size is deceptive. I still to this day print out a full sized paper copy of what I plan to put on a shirt to see if I have guessed the size about right. I am often scaling up or down because what I thought would be about right was way too large or way too small for the size of shirt or the particular application. 11 wide sounds really big for a 4T kids shirt. 

I do that too!

:o...you didn't mention weeding...I'm sure you meant to do that though....right?    

3 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Thanks, yeah I did do that one thing i like about VM is you can print straight from it to my Printer.  Well she wanted it all way across the front.

okay so i just cut the first name and it was trying to buckle up some when it went to do the box around the words it got bad wrinkled up.. my machine is on 100 I bumped it from 93 to103 force cause the first test cut didn't cut clean lines

1 hour ago, eprcvinyls said:

Thanks, yeah I did do that one thing i like about VM is you can print straight from it to my Printer.  Well she wanted it all way across the front.

okay so i just cut the first name and it was trying to buckle up some when it went to do the box around the words it got bad wrinkled up.. my machine is on 100 I bumped it from 93 to103 force cause the first test cut didn't cut clean lines

One thing about HTV especially stretch is that you need a very sharp blade. I use a factory Summa blade that cuts with about the same force as the venerable "Clean Cut" Blades. I suggest looking at a couple clean cut blades when you get a chance. You will cut at considerably less pressure than the cheap ones that sell for $5. You will pay more but they last for a very long time. (provided that you don't let them punch through the backing and cut into the cutting strip or cut reflective or glitter). If you get one drop your cutting pressure by about half and work back into the proper pressure to be sure you don't damage the new bling. 

A dull blade causes you to apply extra pressure which in turn causes the drag to start flexing the plastic carrier on the HTV. It is softer and more flexible than regular vinyl carriers and can cause issues with over pressure. The higher end cutters have a suction hold down that helps prevent this but you can still cut it fine if you get set up right. Clean Cut, Clean Cut.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

Well I did it, My first 2 shirts are complete.

20180221_142804.jpg

Those look great. Hopefully you also remembered to weld the cursive letters but I'm sure you are past that newbie stuff. 

Good job...are they spelled right?

Checking spelling is actually step 2 after creating the file  :huh:

It wasn't that hard now was it?

• Haha 1

I know that is what was asked for, but to me, that looks like it might be a bit on the wide side and the names will be wrapping around to the sides when the shirt is worn.

For your own personal experience, ask for a photo of the kids wearing them so you can get a feel for how something looks laying flat, vs how it looks while worn.

• Like 4

I keep a copy of this chart by the heat press to help with size & placement.

Sue2

Imprint Size & Locations.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sue2 said:

Good job...are they spelled right?

Checking spelling is actually step 2 after creating the file  :huh:

It wasn't that hard now was it?

If not then the grandmother doesn't know there names i sent her every file i made to make sure she liked them and was happy.

8 hours ago, darcshadow said:

I know that is what was asked for, but to me, that looks like it might be a bit on the wide side and the names will be wrapping around to the sides when the shirt is worn.

For your own personal experience, ask for a photo of the kids wearing them so you can get a feel for how something looks laying flat, vs how it looks while worn.

That makes sense.. Never thought about that so this should been maybe 9-10 inches long.

7 hours ago, Sue2 said:

I keep a copy of this chart by the heat press to help with size & placement.

Sue2

Imprint Size & Locations.jpg

4 hours ago, mfatty500 said:

Way to wide for a 4T 

That you all, its what the customer wants... I'm not to try to tell them different.. Thanks for the chart i will keep that handy

• Like 1