Sign in to follow this  
haumana

Cutting software, I want your honest opinion

With the impending toy (Graphtec CE6000) due to arrive shortly, I wanted to see what cutting software other Mac people are using, and what your thoughts on them.

I know that the Graphtec is supposed to have a direct plug-in for AI, however, I am a total noob when it comes to AI, and am hoping to just hit a decent cutting software and avoid that steep learning curve.

Currently I cut on my LP using Sign Blazer via the Parallels/Win7 side. Works great, but I would like to go Mac native for the new cutter and avoid having to fire up another app just to use the new cutter. I don't have the need to do contour cutting.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

MacPro 4,1 running 10.10.5 Yosemite and Parallels w/Win7

Jen, not sure if you can run windows programs on your mac (thought I read something about you using parallels for that??) but with a new graphtec you can download a free windows program called graphtec pro studio - it is essentially flexi pro cloud - I highly recommend it and if you look up the price for flexi cloud you will see what a bargain it is and you can do anything you want to do with that powerful tool - if not I think it would be highly worth having a windows machine just for that if you can't find a way to run it on the mac.   the program is worth far more than what you will pay for just the plotter.  IMHO

• Thanks 1

Thanks Scott! Yes, I can run Win7 in/on my Mac. That's how I'm currently cutting in SB. The only other puter I have, setup for cutting, is my old XP laptop :P

I will definitely check out the graphtec pro studio. It says that I need a serial number first, so I guess I have to wait until the machine actually gets here.

I love SB, but can see how it's a bit outdated. I'm just looking for something that is just as easy to use as SB, preferably on the Mac side, but if that's a no-go, then back to cutting in Win7!

sb was way ahead of it's time and would be dominating if Jerry had not passed away - but after a little adjusting you will love the GPS program - way more powerful and unbeatable deal getting it with the plotter.  flexi design side very much resembles coreldraw - I would have to think it is licensed from corel - 

Corel ... do people still use that? LOL Just kidding folks!

I had my LP before I became a Mac person, so after I got my Mac I got Flexi 8.5 ... That just wasn't working out for me. So I ended up dedicating my XP laptop to the cutter. I got tired of having to fire up the oh-so-slow laptop and did an install of SB via Parallels on my Mac. Have been doing that ever since. I like free software, so the gps should be great for me :P

• Like 1

Corel is all I use. Easy to learn and with cutting master plug in cut right from corel.

• Like 1

I use SignCut Pro 1 to cut because it is mac AND pc compatible at the same time. However it is just a cutting utility and has almost no design capability at all so you would be right back to square one with some other design program.  (there is a new version out that looks to have some design options but I am so ingrained in AI that I just am not interested). That free option from Graphtec sounds like the best plan. Heck even if you decide later you don't like it you're out nothing. 

Sorry I am late to the discussion Haumana. Anyway, the Cutting Master plug in for AI works great. I use graphtec because they are mac friendly. I wish my mimaki printer/plotter worked with a mac. PC interfaces are just not as elegant as mac interfaces. The Cutting Master is a good program but it is a little clunky sometimes.