Sign in to follow this  
eprcvinyls

Got my First shipment of Vinyl wow.. Smaller rolls then thought

Well, Never asking anyone who was cutting decals for me what size rolls they were on there machines I really had no clue how big or small these would be, These are Oracal 751 12 inches wide and 6 foot long.. WOW there tiny. About 1.5 inch wide the whole roll... I was expecting bigger rolls. I am building a stand that will hang off my decal table i built. to keep them out of the way.. Im glad i didn't use any bigger of PVC pipe to make it used 3/4 any bigger the rolls wouldn't fit onto them. I will post a picture when i get it finished. I picked up the pipe today and have to cut everything tomorrow and hang it..

I also ordered some 24 inch. and its 5 foot long, i guess it wont be any of bigger rolls either, or maybe the wider it is the bigger the roll? Im not sure these tiny rolls will even fit on the SC2 cutter stand rolls that are suppose to hold it? I might have to make something to let it sit on..

Im sure this sounds silly to most but me being brand new to all of this..  I didn't order big long huge rolls cause not sure how much I will need or what colors will be popular i wanted to order more colors also at first but really didn't get to. Looks like for a 24" X 10yrd(30foot) is $44.99 i will end up ordering some later but just little of each for now..

How do most of you order vinyl? how much at a time? I don't want to end up with lots i don't use or doesn't ever need to be used.

I use this rack -- it holds full standard 50-yard rolls.

free_stand_floor_rack.jpg

If I'm in need of a particular odd/special color, I'll get a 10-yard piece.

Everyone will use different colors depending on their market & uses.

I use tons of Black, Cherry Red, White, plus Ocean Blue, and some Dark Green.

By the way, the rollers on your stand are adjustable.

3 hours ago, slice&dice said:

I use this rack -- it holds full standard 50-yard rolls.

free_stand_floor_rack.jpg

If I'm in need of a particular odd/special color, I'll get a 10-yard piece.

Everyone will use different colors depending on their market & uses.

I use tons of Black, Cherry Red, White, plus Ocean Blue, and some Dark Green.

By the way, the rollers on your stand are adjustable.

Thanks for the info about the rollers. and Yeah Kinda figured colors vary so much Nice rack but i have no more floor room

Here is mine I couldn't wait.. I was going to cut the pipes down to 12 inch for the smaller rolls but then thought if i ordered only 24 wide for now on it be to short so i can fit two of the 12 inch on one slot.. i was going to hang it on my shelf above the desk but its kinda heavy the wife gave me this idea of hanging it the way i did it work.. Im going to add more T to it coming down to have more rows for more vinyl cause i have 10 more rolls on the way.  How do you guys keep up with what vinyl is what number? like these are 751 others coming are 631 and 651 i plan to use the 651 on my truck and mailbox to see how long it stands up and only using the 751 for custermers

47 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

How do you guys keep up with what vinyl is what number?

I use these --- velcro-brand-one-wrap-colored-velcro-str

I write on the inside of the cardboard roll

• Like 2

I wish I had the room to put a roll stand. I only run about 20 colors, so this is the means I use to hold my vinyl. It's cheap, it's adjustable, and it works. I have a narrow area just between a closet door and wall and the rolls fit perfectly there. The brackets come in different lengths so I have the ability to have different widths, even though I am limited by the width of my LP.

image.png.a5897436dfe1fa62b797550ed759cc02.png

3 hours ago, eprcvinyls said:

How do most of you order vinyl? how much at a time? I don't want to end up with lots i don't use or doesn't ever need to be used.

Fortunately for me, there is a local supply shop that I is open 6-days a week I can run to.Unfortunately for me, it's the only game in town, and to order anything is ridiculously expensive. Feller's did offer a discounted shipping rate to me (a while back), provided I ordered something like a full pallet of vinyl <- never going to happen.

You'll get your footing with how much to order and the different sizes. I personally will only keep one roll (of 50-yard) of a color at a time, and then buy a second roll when the first one comes close to running out. I rarely do uber large orders, or uber large cuts, so the 15" 50-yard works well for me.

3 hours ago, haumana said:

Fortunately for me, there is a local supply shop that I is open 6-days a week I can run to.Unfortunately for me, it's the only game in town, and to order anything is ridiculously expensive. Feller's did offer a discounted shipping rate to me (a while back), provided I ordered something like a full pallet of vinyl <- never going to happen.

You'll get your footing with how much to order and the different sizes. I personally will only keep one roll (of 50-yard) of a color at a time, and then buy a second roll when the first one comes close to running out. I rarely do uber large orders, or uber large cuts, so the 15" 50-yard works well for me.

Thanks, trying to figure out what size wide and how much is something.. Most of the decals i have in mind for myself will be 12x12 inches or smaller. some might be longer but not as tall something like 3 inch tall by maybe 20 inches long.  There is a few smaller shops around but they mostly seem to sell by the foot. the HTF doesn't seem to bad of price about same as online $3.50 a foot but the vinyl well they only sell 651

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I write on the inside of the cardboard roll

That would work. they came with tape with written on them of what number and how long. maybe i can peel those and put on the inside.. I dont think these have cardboard rolls. look like just rolls around itself.

26 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

That would work. they came with tape with written on them of what number and how long. maybe i can peel those and put on the inside.. I dont think these have cardboard rolls. look like just rolls around itself.

Make sure you don't want them rolled up too tight, it gets to be a headache when you're trying to feed, weed and tape if it curled up.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

I have never ordered anything under 10 yards so never seen any without cardboard - had someone local get some siser from me and he brought me replacement without the cardboard - 

3 hours ago, haumana said:

Make sure you don't want them rolled up too tight, it gets to be a headache when you're trying to feed, weed and tape if it curled up.

I can Imagine..

3 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I have never ordered anything under 10 yards so never seen any without cardboard - had someone local get some siser from me and he brought me replacement without the cardboard - 

yeah,, Not sure how mine will come the siser that is, only getting 2 feet so guess be a tiny roll.

Does anyone else get there stuff Surepost from the shipper? I had to drive to the other town today to get this Vinyl cause it was surepost from UPS and it went to the wrong post office. i was suppose to get in mail today but was a huge mess. I just noticed Jiffy shirts also using Surepost sure hope it goes to the correct PO

I get all mine from uscutter so fed ex or occasionally ups  at 9.99 for entire order on shipping it is hard to beat on the rolls I buy - but then again almost all of them are 10 yd or 50yd  .  little sellers won't ship for anywhere near that cheap on heavy rolls and I know it is fresh vinyl not someone pulling small amounts off of the big rolls they purchased who knows how long ago.   

• Like 1

Generally you are pretty safe with white and black. I usually just buy 10yd rolls even though you can get a better price on 50. Vinyl has a shelf life. I have never had a failure that I know of and I've used some older stuff I had around but you can tell the difference in the cut and weed as it ages. I like to buy enough for the specific job and then add whatever it takes to round up to a good number and save the excess as inventory. Often for the same people. You can but a lot of the Oracal products by the yard or foot. Locally they sell 3M/Gerber by the yard of it's premium and only in 50yd rolls for calendared. I love USCutter prices on the Oracal and the product is great so I tend to only go local when I run out or have a may-day job I wasn't prepared for. I have vinyl stuffed all sorts of places because space is a little limited at my place too. It's sort of like an adult easter egg hunt if it's some color other than the usual. I tend to keep the Oracal boxes which have the color and number on the end. I sue them because they have the little tabs that go into the tube and help keep the roll from sitting on it's side. Although some of the rolls lately have just come in a regular brown box. If your cutter is full sized there is really no reason to buy 12" vinyl. I lean toward 24" rolls but will occasionally buy a 15" if it fits a specific design layout better. My cutter will handle 30" stuff too and some designs work better on that width and I order accordingly. I am sure I am speaking greek to your newbie self but it will all come into focus for you in the coming weeks. Welcome to the addiction. If you get past the initial hump and design/cut for any amount of time I am convinced you will own a cutter for life. They are just THAT cool. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

Vinyl has a shelf life. I have never had a failure that I know of and I've used some older stuff I had around but you can tell the difference in the cut and weed as it ages.

If your cutter is full sized there is really no reason to buy 12" vinyl. I lean toward 24" rolls but will occasionally buy a 15" if it fits a specific design layout better.

Welcome to the addiction. If you get past the initial hump and design/cut for any amount of time I am convinced you will own a cutter for life. They are just THAT cool. 

I noticed that when the vinyl starts aging, at least for my 651, there is noticeable shrinkage on the roll and it seems to get stiffer or brittle. It makes weeding that much more difficult and it doesn't take to smaller designs very well.

The smart thing would be for me to buy the 751 in 10-yard rolls - then I would refresh my inventory more often; but for another few dollars I usually end up buying a full 50-yard roll of 651. Thankfully most of my applications are truly meant to be temporary (at least in the customer's mind), because they only care that it looks good when they're gifting it, and don't seem to worry about the longevity of it. Although I always do offer 751 as an option for them.

I have a mental block for wide vinyl - it's difficult for me to make the room to weed it, much less trying to tape it  - I would probably turn it into a comedy show :huh:

It is an addiction!! Although I'm always amazed that I manage to keep my trucks decal-free ... Probably because I can't decide on a cool design. :P

11 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I get all mine from uscutter so fed ex or occasionally ups  at 9.99 for entire order on shipping it is hard to beat on the rolls I buy - but then again almost all of them are 10 yd or 50yd  .  little sellers won't ship for anywhere near that cheap on heavy rolls and I know it is fresh vinyl not someone pulling small amounts off of the big rolls they purchased who knows how long ago.   

Yeah, I ordered some from us Cutter. got 36 pounds of it coming lol. was surprised 10 rolls 24"X5' weigh that much. Along with few other things.

10 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Generally you are pretty safe with white and black. I usually just buy 10yd rolls even though you can get a better price on 50. Vinyl has a shelf life. I have never had a failure that I know of and I've used some older stuff I had around but you can tell the difference in the cut and weed as it ages. I like to buy enough for the specific job and then add whatever it takes to round up to a good number and save the excess as inventory. Often for the same people. You can but a lot of the Oracal products by the yard or foot. Locally they sell 3M/Gerber by the yard of it's premium and only in 50yd rolls for calendared. I love USCutter prices on the Oracal and the product is great so I tend to only go local when I run out or have a may-day job I wasn't prepared for. I have vinyl stuffed all sorts of places because space is a little limited at my place too. It's sort of like an adult easter egg hunt if it's some color other than the usual. I tend to keep the Oracal boxes which have the color and number on the end. I sue them because they have the little tabs that go into the tube and help keep the roll from sitting on it's side. Although some of the rolls lately have just come in a regular brown box. If your cutter is full sized there is really no reason to buy 12" vinyl. I lean toward 24" rolls but will occasionally buy a 15" if it fits a specific design layout better. My cutter will handle 30" stuff too and some designs work better on that width and I order accordingly. I am sure I am speaking greek to your newbie self but it will all come into focus for you in the coming weeks. Welcome to the addiction. If you get past the initial hump and design/cut for any amount of time I am convinced you will own a cutter for life. They are just THAT cool. 

Yeah, Im not sure. i still might get the lady a  smaller cutter so she do her own thing so the 12" be good for her. most things i plan to make will be smaller then 12"x12" i think i might get some wanting bigger stuff guess i will buy bigger rolls

10 hours ago, haumana said:

I noticed that when the vinyl starts aging, at least for my 651, there is noticeable shrinkage on the roll and it seems to get stiffer or brittle. It makes weeding that much more difficult and it doesn't take to smaller designs very well.

The smart thing would be for me to buy the 751 in 10-yard rolls - then I would refresh my inventory more often; but for another few dollars I usually end up buying a full 50-yard roll of 651. Thankfully most of my applications are truly meant to be temporary (at least in the customer's mind), because they only care that it looks good when they're gifting it, and don't seem to worry about the longevity of it. Although I always do offer 751 as an option for them.

I have a mental block for wide vinyl - it's difficult for me to make the room to weed it, much less trying to tape it  - I would probably turn it into a comedy show :huh:

It is an addiction!! Although I'm always amazed that I manage to keep my trucks decal-free ... Probably because I can't decide on a cool design. :P

Good tip about what to keep a eye on. I  have loads of decals i want to make for my truck lol.