eprcvinyls

crazy question about how the decals are cut?

okay, so just waiting for my cutter to get here and make my first cut but i was wondering.. The cutter only cuts on the outside of the letters right?

like in this picture this is something a friend wants of her grandkids. when i weed it it look just like it does in this 1st picture right. it wont have the cut outs on the inside of the feet or letters like in 2nd pic witch is a preview of it when you click preview. i guess im asking the letters will be full like in first pic right... i don't wasn't just a outline of everything i want them to be full I hope that makes sense?

tammynewsizes.jpg

preview of mad names.jpg

Correct!

It's hard to tell with 2nd picture because where the text thins out, but it looks like you're going to get what you're aiming for. Check to see, where the letters touch one another, that it's not cutting as individual letters, and that it's merged (or welded in SB) in the transition. If it doesn't flow, then  you will be getting one letter cutting across another where they touch.

3 hours ago, haumana said:

Correct!

It's hard to tell with 2nd picture because where the text thins out, but it looks like you're going to get what you're aiming for. Check to see, where the letters touch one another, that it's not cutting as individual letters, and that it's merged (or welded in SB) in the transition. If it doesn't flow, then  you will be getting one letter cutting across another where they touch.

Thanks, I wasn't sure there was a setting where you could do either way but I think for most part i would always want the full bold of the letter or anything i was wanting.

No, it is going to cut the second pic. Don't know your software, but you need to get it all welded to get the first pic. Have to see the actual file to fix it.

Let me chime in here - when you get your machine, install the pen tool and get your designs done before committing to vinyl.  You do not need to "plot" it out full size, but you should at least keep the proportions correct.  That will save you a lot of expense.  I have been cutting for a few years now but I still plot (draw) the design before the knife goes in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bikemike said:

No, it is going to cut the second pic. Don't know your software, but you need to get it all welded to get the first pic. Have to see the actual file to fix it.

done this in SCAL4 but wouldn't it be the same on any? so once it is Welded together the Preview should show just like it will look when it cuts it?

3 hours ago, Cal said:

Let me chime in here - when you get your machine, install the pen tool and get your designs done before committing to vinyl.  You do not need to "plot" it out full size, but you should at least keep the proportions correct.  That will save you a lot of expense.  I have been cutting for a few years now but I still plot (draw) the design before the knife goes in.

Oh that is what the pen is for? what do you use to let it draw on?

I don't see a weld option is it called something else? Anyone here with SCAL can help? Primal you around?

3 hours ago, bikemike said:

Don't use scal, so don't know. Someone will be along that knows.

Thanks anyways, What program do you use? VM?

Well i found the weld option but it doesn't look any different to me. I looked at 2 videos and it looked like the way they used it was if you wanted to overlap the letters or words

Sorry , im trying to learn this stuff

weld option.jpg

Ya, you going to need a scal person for this. One will be along soon. The red is showing what it is going to cut.

It is probably easy to do. You will be surprised at that.

Did you select everything then hit weld?

Select the text on your cutting mat, right click, path and then union.....Toggle the view to show outline only so you can see what going on

3 hours ago, bikemike said:

Ya, you going to need a scal person for this. One will be along soon. The red is showing what it is going to cut.

It is probably easy to do. You will be surprised at that.

Did you select everything then hit weld?

Yeah, I drew a box around it all and hit weld

3 hours ago, crome said:

Select the text on your cutting mat, right click, path and then union

I tried that too and it still shows it looks just like it did before with the center of letters cut.

now i can click on Shadow and the letters get really bold but still when i hit preview it still looks the same..

Just the parts that need to be like the center of the a d and e to make them look right.. The words in black is what i want it to look like when i cut the vinyl.

but looking at the preview it looks like it will be cutting the center of each letter. like the Feet looks like its going to just be a thin outline and not the solid color.. I hope that makes sense its hard to explain.

look at it on your cutting mat in the "show outline only "view, is there two two lines in each foot or just one? you may have to zoom in to see it good

When you are looking at it in preview, it's just showing where the blade is running, it's not showing you the color of the vinyl you will be using

3 hours ago, crome said:

look at it on your cutting mat in the "show outline only "view, is there two two lines in each foot or just one? you may have to zoom in to see it good

I had never clicked that before. just normal veiw on the mat and the preview.

3 hours ago, crome said:

When you are looking at it in preview, it's just showing where the blade is running, it's not showing you the color of the vinyl you will be using

I understand the color don't matter. I just want to make sure its going to make the words look like on that car the letters are in full not just outlined.

I zoomed in to 50% to see this... this is show outlines. not sure what you mean by two two lines?

viewoutlined.jpg

when you look at the letter in in show outline only view, zoomed in, if there is only one line on the outside of the letters, then the letters will be full, if zoom in and you see two lines making up the letters, then you are cutting an outline of the letter.....that make sence?

3 hours ago, crome said:

when you look at the letter in in show outline only view, zoomed in, if there is only one line on the outside of the letters, then the letters will be full, if zoom in and you see two lines making up the letters, then you are cutting an outline of the letter.....that make sence?

looks like i have 2 lines then right... How do i get it to just be one?

select, let's say the two feet, right click, ungroup, then pull the center image out