T3rry1

MH781 cutting lines across design

Hey all, I have owned my MH871 for years, probably 7ish years, its worked flawlessly with signblazer up until this point.

I reconfigured my desk recently and now since then my cutter will do about 20(wide)x8inches worth of cutting and then just go completely rogue cutting in random directions, then continue the project some way down the page. To the best of my knowledge no settings within signblazer or my device manager port settings were changed in any way. Oh and also, yes, i do have a grounding strap from the cutter to the stand, and i am using a grounded outlet.

I took my machine apart and cleaned it out, made sure all of the connections were seated properly, i checked my com port on my computer (com'd direct from my mobo header to the machine, no USB)

the only abnormality i have noticed is that signblazer all of the sudden sends to the cutter a LOT faster, previously signblazer would take about half as long as the actual cut just for the sending dialogue to go away, but recently it sends in just a few seconds... i think perhaps this is filling the buffer/memory on the cutter and it gets lost... i have cut the same design several times right on top of each other to look for inconsistencies and it seems to go rogue at slightly different points.

any suggestions would be wonderful.

I think i figured it out, i was reading a bunch of threads about this issue and finally came across one that explained that the point of the ground strap was to remove the static from the vinyl via the rollers, and suggested checking continuity from the ground strap to the rollers... surprise surprise, i had none... so i rigged up a ground strap for the roller, i just loosely tied the wire around the roller and then braided the wire... since its loose it doesn't inhibit the roller movement, but it does create the grounding needed, i re-cut the same design again and it worked fine.

thanks for everybody who contributes on these boards, couldn't have fixed it without the suggestions here.

2018-02-06 23.35.15.jpg

• Like 3

I guess i celebrated prematurely, it did it again on me... i dont think its static now because i even built a strap from bare wire that runs across the vinyl, and i wiped it down with a dryer sheet, i just dont know now.... i could just cut smaller designs, i just would rather have it working properly

from reading the post over the years the two things people have commented on solving this - first you tried the static problem - the other is the lack of memory in the mh machines - many have solved that by using a tripplite brand keyspan adapter and the null modem serial cable that came with your plotter.

• Like 1

He's already using a serial cable, straight to the motherboard so a tripplite adapter won't be the cure this time around.

The speed change of the data being sent is suspect but I have no idea what that could mean. I know you said you didn't make any setting changes, but double check the comm port settings and verify that the baud rate hasn't changed.

Only thing else I can think to try would be to try some different software. It shouldn't matter, but at least it'll rule that out as the source of the problem.

1 hour ago, darcshadow said:

He's already using a serial cable, straight to the motherboard so a tripplite adapter won't be the cure this time around.

The speed change of the data being sent is suspect but I have no idea what that could mean. I know you said you didn't make any setting changes, but double check the comm port settings and verify that the baud rate hasn't changed.

Only thing else I can think to try would be to try some different software. It shouldn't matter, but at least it'll rule that out as the source of the problem.

does seem like someday I would learn to read it all and not skim doesn't it - darcshadow is correct, my bad

Hi Terry,   May I interject an idea here?

First, download and reinstall SignBlazerElements from scratch, using THIS version 7.0.0  (it shows v6 but the ABOUT menu, after install, will read v7.0.0)

http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Software/SignBlazer/signblazer_setup.exe

Then, choose RedSail RS1120C driver.

Reboot your entire computer, with cutter on and connected.

Let's see where you're at after that.

Is USB just not an option? I had to go from keyspan to USB at one point because it was going all wonky.

thanks for all the suggestions, i'll try some of them out,,, i never thought a keyspan would help since its direct com... straight analogue should be more reliable... but you never know,...

I was wrong as I didn't read it well - if you are using the serial already to a serial port on your computer that is great - no need for the keyspan.  I skimmed and didn't read the entire post before I wrote that

Sounds like a spool setting on the send over to cutter and could be the culprit. You might try a different software just to see. Other than that I would lean toward a motherboard on it's way out. Sigcut Pro has a free trial if you wanted to test the theory. 

Slice I don't know if there is a spool setting in SB but you can check a box in SignCut and pretty sure in VM also to use spooler  which basically feeds the data in a different manner or controls the flow or information arrangement, sort of like buffering for a video feed. Techno-wiz I am not so actual technical fine points elude me but maybe that was checked and now it's not or vise-versa. 

6 minutes ago, Bonkers18 said:

Any updates. I just brought a new mh cutter (less a then two weeks out of the box) and im having this problem.

Explain your problem in detail. And what you have done to try and fix it?   What has tech support told you?  No mention of which operating system, how you are connected. USB or serial. which cutting software. The more info that you can provide, the more that someone can help you. 

15 minutes ago, Bonkers18 said:

Any updates. I just brought a new mh cutter (less a then two weeks out of the box) and im having this problem.

Start a new thread, please.

(If you did not properly register the VinylMaster software, it will cut lines on your work)