eprcvinyls

help understanding how layers work

okay so i watched a video about layers, it looked so easy but i cant get my images to do the same as in the video.

how would i be able to cut the American flag? its red white and blue.. shouldn't i be able to import as a svg then pick the layers and print what am i doing wrong?

one person has a USA in red white blue they copy paste it 3 times and took the one color out of each one but did not explain how she was doing that..

Thanks

I don't use SCALP but my guess is when you import the flag, it's just a single layer. You would need to create multiple layers and the move each color to it's own layer.

Some cut programs allow you to simply cut by color, so no need to worry about multiple layers, just pick the color you want to cut and go. I don't know if SCALP has that option or not.

Thanks i found another image and it does like i seen in the one video didn't realize it cant be grouped to do it

Just a heads up there is an American flag in the library in SCAP that I use all the time. But before you cut it, select the stars and the blue part of the flag, go-to effects and chose "knock out" then take and pull the group of stars out of the blue and delete them. Next take the white stripes out. Then draw a rectangle the same size as the entire flag and make that white. Select the white rectangle, Right click, the go-to arrange, then select send to back. Center all of it together and cut by color in the cut screen. Now when you have it all done, you will weed the stars out of the blue that way it will show the white from underneath. Layer the blue lined up with the red stripes and then line it all up on top of the white. Hope that makes sense.if not shoot me a PM

12 hours ago, 88x said:

Just a heads up there is an American flag in the library in SCAP that I use all the time. But before you cut it, select the stars and the blue part of the flag, go-to effects and chose "knock out" then take and pull the group of stars out of the blue and delete them. Next take the white stripes out. Then draw a rectangle the same size as the entire flag and make that white. Select the white rectangle, Right click, the go-to arrange, then select send to back. Center all of it together and cut by color in the cut screen. Now when you have it all done, you will weed the stars out of the blue that way it will show the white from underneath. Layer the blue lined up with the red stripes and then line it all up on top of the white. Hope that makes sense.if not shoot me a PM

Thanks, i think i will print what you said and read it about 5 more times lol and try it as im reading.. I might be able to figure it out by that description thank you so much.

Well, i guess you cant do the knockout function with the free demo., I will have to wait till i get the full version.