kctrader

Using Heat Gun in Cold Weather

As I was getting my morning caffeine, I was watching two guys remove a large exterior window decal from the local Quik Trip (and thinking how I was glad it was not me).

The air temperature was 9 degrees.   They were using two heat guns attempting to loosen it up and not having much luck.     Just wondering, is there any danger in breaking the glass by applying spot heat like that when it is that cold outside?   Anyone know or have any experience?   Thanks.

no experience but thinking same as you thermo shock in one area seems dangerous  - I am sure they are pros though :)

• Haha 1

I would have went up and suggested they throw a pot of boiling water on it.   That would loosen up the vinyl really quickly. 

• Haha 2

I don't think a heat gun would throw enough heat to cause a thermal shock like you'd get with water. It would be interesting to watch the glass with an IR camera while they worked to see how much heat the glass was soaking up.

It doesn't take much heat to get vinyl to the point it will come off.

I stripped both sides and both ends of my 32 foot trailer and was surprised how little it took. Anywhere near hot and the vinyl melts making things worse.

On 2/5/2018 at 11:42 AM, kctrader said:

As I was getting my morning caffeine, I was watching two guys remove a large exterior window decal from the local Quik Trip (and thinking how I was glad it was not me).

The air temperature was 9 degrees.   They were using two heat guns attempting to loosen it up and not having much luck.     Just wondering, is there any danger in breaking the glass by applying spot heat like that when it is that cold outside?   Anyone know or have any experience?   Thanks.

If the heat applied slow enough and even it will be fine. If the glass is heated to fast it will not be good . Ive seen this happened and thats where i learned to use shop lights at a distance and let it slowly warm up. Very rarely do i use a heat gun on glass.